View previous topic | View next topic

Music

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Awitt
1074049.  Wed May 14, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote

A very wide subject area, covering time periods from the 1500's to the modern day and many different types as well.

knightmare
1074052.  Wed May 14, 2014 4:24 am Reply with quote

Mondegreens, misheared song lyrics. Here's one of the internet lists. Sometimes people are intentionally trying to be funny, making up lyrics which don't match the music or sounds at all.

knightmare
1074059.  Wed May 14, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote

Mozart was born in Salzburg, but that wasn't an Austrian city during his life. He also wasn't German, because Germany didn't exist yet. He was born in the Archbishopric of Salzburg, a part of the Holy Roman Empire.

knightmare
1074062.  Wed May 14, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote

La Marseillaise is the original title of the French national anthem, and it's from Marseille.

Minus 20: the original title is Chant de guerre pour l'Armée du Rhin, and La Marseillaise was a nickname. As suggested by the word Rhin, it's from Strasbourg instead of Marseille.

CB27
1074098.  Wed May 14, 2014 7:45 am Reply with quote

Why Haydn will always be ahead of Beethoven: http://chetyod.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/haydn-a-head-of-beethoven/

CB27
1074166.  Wed May 14, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Amazingly, for much of the 19th century, the tune most people recognised as the "de facto" national anthem of the US was the same as the UK one (God Save the Queen).

The lyrics used were written by Samuel Francis Smith and the song was called "My Country, 'Tis of Thee". It was offically used for the first time on July 4th 1831 for Independence Day celebrations in Boston.

While the Star Spangled Banner became more popular at the turn of the century, it was not officially created as the US National Anthem until March 1931, after the public were reminded of their lack of a national anthem by Ripley's Believe it or not:

<Giant image resized two posts down>

100 years, to the day, after "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" was used as a de facto anthem, the Star Spangled Banner was officially used as the US anthem on Independence Day.

Perhaps as a way of celebrating this fact, the very next year, when teh Olympics came to Los Angeles, the practice of raising the flag of the champion and playing their national anthem at the medal ceremony was instroduced, with the new US anthem played at more than a third of all ceremonies.

CB27
1074170.  Wed May 14, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Doesn't look like I can resize the image on BBCode on this site, sorry...

Jenny
1074199.  Wed May 14, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Could you link to the source please, CB? The page is unmanageably wide like this.

knightmare
1074214.  Wed May 14, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote

You may delete the huge image, if needed. This image is a link to the image posted by CB27-inch.

Spud McLaren
1074436.  Thu May 15, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote

Awitt wrote:
A very wide subject area, covering time periods from the 1500's to the modern day and many different types as well.
There was no music before the 1500s?

Sadurian Mike
1074439.  Thu May 15, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Awitt wrote:

Hey man. Music wasn't 'real' until the mixed ensemble. Go listen to your old fart music granddad.

ConorOberstIsGo
1074562.  Fri May 16, 2014 7:27 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:

While the Star Spangled Banner became more popular at the turn of the century, it was not officially created as the US National Anthem until March 1931,

Probably I heard this on QI but:

The original tune for the Star Spangled Banner was "To Anacreon in Heaven," an English drinking song written by John Stafford Smith with words by Ralph Tomlinson, Esq. According to tradition it was first "sung at the Crown Anchor Tavern in the Strand, circa 1780." Tomlinson was president of the Anacreontic Society, a gentlemen's club popular with upscale London boozers. Anacreon (563-478 B.C.) was a Greek poet known for his songs of wine and women.

To Anacreon in Heav'n, where he sat in full glee,
A few Sons of Harmony sent a petition;
That he their Inspirer and Patron wou'd be;
When this answer arrived from the Jolly Old Grecian;
"Voice, Fiddle, and Flute,
No longer be mute,
I'll lend you my name and inspire you to boot,
And besides I'll instruct you like me, to intwine,
The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine."

The news through Olympus immediately flew;
When Old Thunder pretended to give himself airs.
If these Mortals are suffered their scheme to pursue,
The Devil, a Goddess, will stay above stairs.
"Hark," already they cry,
"In transports of joy,
Away to the Sons of Anacreon we'll fly.
And besides I'll instruct you like me, to intwine,
The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine.

Many more verses linked to below:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/624/was-the-melody-of-the-star-spangled-banner-taken-from-an-old-drinking-song[/quote]

CB27
1074633.  Fri May 16, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Awitt wrote:

Cue http://youtu.be/dHxKXSvcRik

Spud McLaren
1074684.  Fri May 16, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote

The tritone paradox.

Troux
1074695.  Fri May 16, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Why Haydn will always be ahead of Beethoven: http://chetyod.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/haydn-a-head-of-beethoven/

Haydn and Mozart share the common trait of having their skulls wandering about after burial. Mozart and Vivaldi share the common traits of dying poor and being buried in unmarked graves in Vienna. Bach makes at least three composers who were buried in unmarked graves.

In the 17th century, choir boys at St. Paul's Cathedral were being kidnapped and forced to sing for competing choirs.

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next