View previous topic | View next topic

Series L recordings

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

grimwig
1079705.  Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote

stewart lee is clearly not above doing panel shows as he did a couple of episodes of the news quiz about ten years ago.

i am wondering if andy hamilton is too busy for panel shows these days- he hasn't been on the news quiz for a few years, and aside from his hignfy stints he isn't really the usual panel fodder.

There are a few people i wouldn't mind seeing a bit more often- charlie higson, lee mack, brian cox, dave gorman, jack dee- but i dare say that list will be the worst possible combination to someone out there.

ConorOberstIsGo
1079715.  Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote

grimwig wrote:
stewart lee is clearly not above doing panel shows as he did a couple of episodes of the news quiz about ten years ago.

i am wondering if andy hamilton is too busy for panel shows these days- he hasn't been on the news quiz for a few years, and aside from his hignfy stints he isn't really the usual panel fodder.

There are a few people i wouldn't mind seeing a bit more often- charlie higson, lee mack, brian cox, dave gorman, jack dee- but i dare say that list will be the worst possible combination to someone out there.

You might be able to get Alan Moore in for a QI episode about Monsters; his work is staggeringly well-researched and he has been on things like The Museum of Curiosity and Infinite Monkey Cage. Has Richard Wiseman been on yet? He's actually quite funny for a Psychologist. Ooh and Matt Parker for the Maths episode.

Ian Dunn
1079727.  Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote

I don't think Alan Moore has been on The Museum of Curiosity - unless it is a recording the forthcoming series that has yet to be broadcast.

ConorOberstIsGo
1079839.  Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
I don't think Alan Moore has been on The Museum of Curiosity - unless it is a recording the forthcoming series that has yet to be broadcast.

No, I think you are right, I can't find the episode. If I did dream it though I can only tell you it was very interesting :)

grimwig
1079958.  Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote

alan moore was on chain reaction, which may be what you're thinking of. In fact i believe he may have been interviewed on it by stewart lee

djgordy
1079998.  Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Alan Moore has been on "The Infinite Monkey Cage" a couple of times. '

Series 4 episode 4

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011zm32

and series 9 episode 2

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03j9lvb

ConorOberstIsGo
1080061.  Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote

grimwig wrote:
alan moore was on chain reaction, which may be what you're thinking of. In fact i believe he may have been interviewed on it by stewart lee

Ye, they're quite close. He even appeared on Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle series and he has interviewed him on other radio shows about Moore's career and habit of giving away his cheque's for the films based on his novels.

em diar
1085566.  Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote

My first post on this forum, so hi guys!

I would like to see Richard Herring or Stewart Lee on the show, although the latter hates being on panel game shows and has expressed regret for appearing on HIGNFY, 8 out of 10 Cats and Buzzcocks. He has likened them to drunken bar room conversations in which everybody tries to shout over everyone else in a desperate attempt to appear the wittiest. He has even named QI specifically as a show he doesn't particularly like.
I must say I think he is brilliantly funny and uses his "cultural bully from Oxbridge" image with such knowing irony that some (genuinely 'unknowing') people have fallen into the trap of accusing him of being a sneering, smug tosser. These people have trouble seeing beyond his affected (or at least 'exaggerated') stage persona. He is a fan of Johnny Vegas who he has worked with, but is pretty much a solo performer (since he and Richard Herring have very amicably gone their separate ways) and perhaps a bit too much of an 'outsider' for the jolly atmos of cliquey Qi.

tetsabb
1085588.  Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote

Welcome em diar!

Plenty of other forums and indeed fora for you to contribute to.

Jenny
1085633.  Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote

Welcome em diar :-)

I think tetsabb means forums on this site, not other sites!

AlmondFacialBar
1090217.  Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote

Aisling Bea, who'll be in two of the L-episodes, just said on the radio here that her first QI recording was the most fun we'd ever had on a panel show. Just thought I'd pass that on.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Stefan Linnemann
1103419.  Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote

Having now seen both her appearances, may I congratulate the casting crew on their find and wholeheartedly applaud the addition of this Queen Bea to the QI guestlist. Her contributions lacked inhibiting timidity towards national treasure Stephen Fry, (gently mocking Stephen briefly at the very start of her second episode), exhibited wit and intelligence, and no false modesty when the tone got lowered.

One minor beef with the episode, "Love", though: "Pennsylvania, where a lot of Dutch people went." was a slip of the research by the Elves, or of the tongue from Stephen. We've already established, that the "Dutch" in Pennsylvania Dutch were Germans.
(DUtch originally meant "Germanic", and came to refer to the Netherlands alone sometime after the establishment of the United Provinces, a.k.a. the Republic, as an independent integrating political unity after breaking away from Spain. I'd therefore be inclined to seek the origin of bundling to either side of the Netherlands, sooner than within.)

Stefan.

RLDavies
1103440.  Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote

There were reasonable numbers of Dutch settlers in the early Americas -- New York was originally New Holland, remember. But Fry did seem to conflate Dutch with Pennsylvania "Dutch", and according to Wikipedia the practice of bundling is particularly associated with the Amish (Pennsylvania Dutch).

I enjoyed the "Lovely" episode, but it seemed... I don't know, superficial somehow. Apart from the extended discussion on aphrodisiacs, nobody seemed particularly involved with the questions.

14-11-2014
1192215.  Mon May 16, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
the "Dutch" in Pennsylvania Dutch were Germans.

In the United States of America, Pella Dutch (Pella, Iowa) is Dutch.

Stefan Linnemann
1192221.  Mon May 16, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote

I did not mean to imply there are no Dutch at all in Pennsylvania or the USA, au contraire, but the "Dutch" in Pennsylvania Dutch were Germans, and "other prominent groups were Alsatians, Dutch, French Huguenots (French Protestants), Moravians from Bohemia and Moravia, and Swiss". The way the information was worded made it seem as if the Dutch were the largest group of settlers there and the reason for the appelation.

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next