View previous topic | View next topic

Series L recordings

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

vantheman
1078474.  Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Tbh, I think over time QI and Dara have grown apart because while he has become more focused on science over the past few years, QI has has become more focused on comedy (to its detriment, imho). Hence I guess he feels it's not quite for him anymore. I felt that was in the air when I was talking to him last summer (YAY! Irish namedrop!) and he seemed quite detached about it. Shame, I agree...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Possible, but I don't think so. I asked him about this on Twitter recently and a year ago. Both times, he answered back and he seemed surprised-- and perhaps a bit spurned-- that he hadn't been invited. Extra special emphasis on the 'perhaps,' but that's the impression I got.

swot
1078478.  Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote

vantheman wrote:

Hall and Brydon I can see having other projects and commitments; as much as I like them, Anderson, Sessions and Hamilton could be regarded as skewing "too old" or "not enough to the young crowd"; and Sean Lock's remarks a while ago about panel shows other than his may have been bridge-burning.

Urgh, I wish they'd stop youth-chasing. They didn't bother with that in the early series and plenty of young people watched.

Sadurian Mike
1078481.  Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote

Well I applaud the attempt to introduce new faces onto the show, but you have to accept that some may not make the grade. The problem is that sticking to the more successful guests can make the show look a bit tired. All the 'regulars' were untried newbies once, of course.

I think that a mix of old and new works best for the series as a whole, although I'm always happy to see old favourites in the line-up on an individual show.

vantheman
1078488.  Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Well I applaud the attempt to introduce new faces onto the show, but you have to accept that some may not make the grade. The problem is that sticking to the more successful guests can make the show look a bit tired. All the 'regulars' were untried newbies once, of course.

I think that a mix of old and new works best for the series as a whole, although I'm always happy to see old favourites in the line-up on an individual show.

I agree on a mix of old and new, but it certainly seems some -- the people specified -- are seeming to get shut out entirely. Bill Bailey, Jo Brand and Phill Jupitus remain completely in the fold, while others seem to vanish entirely. (The same is true of HIGNFY.)

It probably warrants noting that when QI started, Clive Anderson and John Sessions would have been old hands at -- er, veterans of -- the panel game format. Dara, David Mitchell and Jimmy Carr were the relative newbies at the time. A show as quirky as QI would probably have had trouble securing support from the Beeb if veterans like Clive, John, Linda Smith and Danny Baker hadn't come on-board. Bill Bailey, Phill Jupitus and Jo Brand were also vets of the game, but they'd likely not have been seen by Beeb execs as "reliable" due to their being much more associated with alternative comedy way back when the show started.

ConorOberstIsGo
1078497.  Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote

I'd suggest Max Keiser for the Money episode (there will be one for sure) but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF2SNT3XZwo

Sadurian Mike
1078499.  Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote

ConorOberstIsGo wrote:
I'd suggest Max Keiser for the Money episode (there will be one for sure) but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF2SNT3XZwo

*Pssst.* This is 'L' recordings....

Should we not start a new thread about 'M' recordings? Maybe not actually, as they haven't been planned or recorded yet.

ConorOberstIsGo
1078511.  Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote

Speaking of HIGNFY guests....

Bridget Christie would be great; she is funny and knowledgable about history, feminism and journalism. She would have been good on the Ladies and Gentlemen episode :( Maybe we could channel the recent fracas into a Misogyny episode featuring her?

You could ask her about that time she was strangled by Gene Wilder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgPvI0rh9Qg

Or what about the We Need Answers lot? All of them are very funny and differing varieties of clever. Or is their comedy too anarchic for a panel show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDygI3WBykA

I would also suggest Andy Saltzman. He's quite political but would be entirely derailed from politics if sport was mentioned; he is mad about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6f8o1dHZdE

I don't think Stewart Lee ever does panel shows but he's the kind of man who might do one like QI. Worth asking him I think. He's very good literature-wise, especially comic books oddly.

ConorOberstIsGo
1078513.  Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:

Should we not start a new thread about 'M' recordings? Maybe not actually, as they haven't been planned or recorded yet.

I know but all the guests for L have been found already. Maybe it should be a new thread but if the L series is as good as recorded then why carry on posting here at all? And my thing about leopards is probably going to be ignored for a similarly reasonable reason too :(

cwickham
1078515.  Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote

ConorOberstIsGo wrote:
Bridget Christie would be great; she is funny and knowledgable about history, feminism and journalism. She would have been good on the Ladies and Gentlemen episode :( Maybe we could channel the recent fracas into a Misogyny episode featuring her?

Christie stated on her website recently that she was going to be doing QI this year.

ConorOberstIsGo
1078518.  Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote

cwickham wrote:
ConorOberstIsGo wrote:

Christie stated on her website recently that she was going to be doing QI this year.

Perfect! I adore her! And she's right for it too, obviously. Xx

cwickham
1079409.  Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote

The third guest on the Christmas special recorded tonight doesn't appear to have been named yet - anyone know who they are?

CharliesDragon
1079418.  Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote

Santa, obviously.

Ian Dunn
1079425.  Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote

cwickham wrote:
The third guest on the Christmas special recorded tonight doesn't appear to have been named yet - anyone know who they are?

The guests for the Christmas special are Bill Bailey, Jimmy Carr and Carrie Fisher.

Ian Dunn
1079655.  Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote

Quick question - can I ask when the guests were booked? Where they booked before or after the BBC announced earlier in the year that there should be more women on panel shows?

Jenny
1079675.  Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote

I think you'd need to pm Flash about that, Ian.

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next