View previous topic | View next topic

Series L recordings

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jenny
1073114.  Thu May 08, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Does anybody know if Mike and Janet got their wish regarding green room admission or a shout-out?

Strawberry
1073120.  Thu May 08, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Post 1072806 mentions a shout-out.

Janet H
1073140.  Thu May 08, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote

We most certainly did, the The Fry himself!!!!!
More follows when we come back to mundanity.

Sadurian Mike
1073141.  Thu May 08, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote

We did, thanks to all concerned. Big smiles all round on that one, that's an Anniversary to remember.

Of course, all wedding anniversaries are anniversaries to remember....

Spud McLaren
1073142.  Thu May 08, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Very true, one way or another.

The way to make sure you remember your tenth anniversary is to forget the ninth. I speak from experience.

suze
1073148.  Thu May 08, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote

LOL! We recently had our eighth, which is supposed to be bronze. This did lead to some discussion about "coming third" ...

According to post 341700, the sixteenth wedding anniversary is the tapioca wedding, and the nineteenth is the Pot Noodle.

tetsabb
1073562.  Sun May 11, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
LOL! We recently had our eighth, which is supposed to be bronze. This did lead to some discussion about "coming third" ...

Have you had Cote de Pablo round?

Goodness, 8 years. I well remember the coy little post put on by the lady we now know as Elz about your private little ceremony. It seems like only a few months ago!
Congrats.

suze
1073567.  Sun May 11, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote

Sadly, Ms de Pablo has not yet responded to our dinner invites. Neither has Billie Piper Fox.

But yes, eight years, and we're still glad we did it. In fact, it didn't take us very long to realize that we probably should have gotten married a year or two before we did.

We'd both been married before, not especially successfully, and so hadn't seen any particular reason to fix what was not broken. But - and regardless of what many people say - it's not just a piece of paper. Best thing we ever did.

As for Elz, she's not been on here for quite a while. I may give her a nudge next time we speak!

tetsabb
1073579.  Sun May 11, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Sadly, Ms de Pablo has not yet responded to our dinner invites. Neither has Billie Piper Fox.

Life's full of these little disappointments, isn't it?

ConorOberstIsGo
1073590.  Sun May 11, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Incidentally. I don't know if it will make the cut, but Clarkson brought up the old chestnut of 'two democracies declaring war on each other'. Now whilst I did shout 'Finland', I also know that it isn't true. Plenty of democracies have declared war on each other in history.

Just getting that in now, before anyone sees the episode and thinks, 'you spanner, you just reinforced a myth'.

Is this the 'Golden Arches' theory of diplomacy? It then got changed to the 'Dell' theory when two countries with McDonalds branches did in fact go to war...

Sadurian Mike
1073617.  Sun May 11, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote

Not quite the same theory but along those lines, essentially thought up to promote a political opinion. In this case, it was developed to show how democracy was so much better than any other political system.

The original idea dates back to Immanuel Kant*, who believed that universal republics were the way to ensure world peace. Needless to say, the internet has helped reinforce the myth. Mr J C has latched onto it and repeated it a few times.

* Kant, of course, was a was a real pissant who was very rarely stable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQycQ8DABvc&feature=kp

germananglophile
1073770.  Mon May 12, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:

The original idea dates back to Immanuel Kant*, who believed that universal republics were the way to ensure world peace. Needless to say, the internet has helped reinforce the myth. Mr J C has latched onto it and repeated it a few times.

* Kant, of course, was a was a real pissant who was very rarely stable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQycQ8DABvc&feature=kp

Argh, I just flashed back to my philosophy class where I (being German) pronounced Kant's name correctly, unwitting of the way it sounds to US college students' ears... On the bright side I believe that was the first time they actually paid attention that semester. <:)

cwickham
1073986.  Tue May 13, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote

On today's recording: @qikipedia claims that Ross Noble was on the afternoon recording with Jo Brand and Colin Lane, but I've seen two separate audience members say it was David Mitchell rather than Ross. Who is correct?

germananglophile
1074009.  Tue May 13, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote

cwickham wrote:
On today's recording: @qikipedia claims that Ross Noble was on the afternoon recording with Jo Brand and Colin Lane, but I've seen two separate audience members say it was David Mitchell rather than Ross. Who is correct?

There were two recordings today, one with Ross Noble and one with David Mitchell: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_episodes#Series_L:_2014

Ian Dunn
1074190.  Wed May 14, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote

What were the themes to yesterdays recordings?

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next