View previous topic | View next topic

The Clarkson Controversy

Page 1 of 63
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Which do you think?:
Yes, the word is too offensive to tolerate regardless of context or intent and so Clarkson deserves the pillorying
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
No, it was clearly accidental an was never broadcast, so the ones who should be censured are those who stole and published the edited material to further another agenda
96%
 96%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 25

PDR
1072419.  Sun May 04, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote

So Clarkson is now the subject of public censure for a sotto vocce continuation of a rhyme which pretty well all of us of that age were taught as young children in a context which clearly had no malicious intent. The rhyme contained what is now a taboo word, but it was never broadcast and after being recited (apparently on "autopilot") was consigned to the cutting room floor immediately (at clarkson's direction) almost before the reverberations of its utterance had reached the airfield boundary.

So on the one hand we have a word which is deemed so offensive that anyone even thinking it should be executed on the spot. On the other hand we have something said in error without malice and never broadcast.

Whatever your views on the man and his works, which way do you view the current fuss?

PDR

djgordy
1072423.  Sun May 04, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote

1. It wasn't said "in error". If he spoke in error he could have stopped at "eeny".

2. It was malicious because the word "nigger" appears in the rhyme in a deliberately malicious manner. There are many other variations of the rhyme which use other words such as"tiger" or "piggy".

NinOfEden
1072434.  Sun May 04, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote

Yeah, he can't have not known that's a very strong racial insult, + as mentioned above there are plenty of other things he could have said instead, yet he still said it.
Even if that was the way he learned the rhyme as a child + no-one ever told him it was wrong, you'd have thought he'd have realised that you just don't say that word at some point in his adult life.

djgordy
1072435.  Sun May 04, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote

I suppose it is too much to expect adult behaviour from some who who spends much of his life playing with toys.

CB27
1072443.  Sun May 04, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of Clarkson and would prefer he not appear on TV for previous remarks he made, but I do think this is a ridiculous witchunt.

If I understand the facts, he was reciting teh poem,and when he got to the offensive part he caught himself and mumbled the word, then asked to do another take where he attempted to say something else, then took a third take where he managed to say something else, and it's this take which is broadcast.

To me that means that he was immediately aware that this word was offensive and should not be broadcast, and took it on himself to correct the situation. The edition being broadcast has no mention of the offensive word, and it seems clear he didn't intend to use it privately either, so whoever passed the out takes on to make a story is creating their own story.

PDR
1072446.  Sun May 04, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote

Yes, I think that's rather the view I tend to, CB. But my view is influenced by the fact that I quite enjoy Top Gear (because it's entertainment, not a candidate to replace Songs of Praise or Thought for the Day) and by the fact that I've met the guy a couple of times, as recounted previously. So I wanted to poll the collective for other views.

PDR

Spud McLaren
1072451.  Sun May 04, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote

For your records, Pete, I tend to CB27's view.

Especially since (being Of A Certain Age) if I mentally recite the rhyme that's what comes up. I can't help it; that's what I grew up with, at home and in the playground. I do have an inhibitor chip installed on my jaw, though.

Alfred E Neuman
1072464.  Sun May 04, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote

Me too, both CB27 and Spud hit the nail on the head.

PDR
1072465.  Sun May 04, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Especially since (being Of A Certain Age) if I mentally recite the rhyme that's what comes up. I can't help it; that's what I grew up with, at home and in the playground.

You and me both, Spud - Clarkson is 11 months older than me. We also had Golliwogs and Little Black Sambo reading books. And both my parents were immigrants...

PDR

bemahan
1072473.  Sun May 04, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
For your records, Pete, I tend to CB27's view.

Especially since (being Of A Certain Age) if I mentally recite the rhyme that's what comes up. I can't help it; that's what I grew up with, at home and in the playground. I do have an inhibitor chip installed on my jaw, though.

Me too. I just don't say it anymore but I can see that if he were on 'auto-pilot' reading from an autocue or script then it would be easy to get to that point before he had time to put his brain in gear.

CB27
1072477.  Sun May 04, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote

Stop agreeing with me, I don't like it :)

bemahan
1072478.  Sun May 04, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote

Yes, you do.

Posital
1072502.  Sun May 04, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Did a bit of googling to find out who this is... and what little he did...

There's no controversy - I think he's just getting a bit senile.

If the BBC really want to keep the old duffer, then they should get him a "mouth minder" - to help him with his feeble ejaculations. Or always have him on 5-second delay.

Alternately they could hand over his role to Nige Fur-rage (who could do with a proper job).

On this bombshell...

barbados
1072505.  Sun May 04, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote

The word is offensive because of the context.
If a black person calls another a "nigger" then it is fine, but if a white person utters the word then it is offensive without a doubt. But, it never used to be, and that is where the problem lies.

I was tempted to make a similar post to the OP on this thread following a similar incident on these very forums, where bobwilson used the term, and oddly PDR complained about the use (I say oddly because of the OP) Clarkson used the word in the context of a rhyme, which if you speak to anyone of his generation to recite the same rhyme they would mostly use the same words. Does that make it racist? No, it makes it thoughtless, and you can't vilify someone simply for being thoughtless can you?
The incident among our community centred around bobwilson suggesting that Jenny was "picking niggers" which on the face of it is really quite an offensive term, however, as with the rhyme, in the context given it wasn't really. The term used by bob related to buying out the contracts of certain slaves by influential Christians after the civil war to keep in with the civil liberty brigade, and would have used the term to imply that Jenny was carefully selecting her figures to prove her point (it was in the employment thread if you want to catch up with that).

In all cases you really need to look at the bigger picture and see what the intent was, in both cases the problem is thoughtlessness. Not racism.

PDR
1072512.  Sun May 04, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Did a bit of googling to find out who this is... and what little he did...

There's no controversy - I think he's just getting a bit senile.

If the BBC really want to keep the old duffer, then they should get him a "mouth minder" - to help him with his feeble ejaculations. Or always have him on 5-second delay.

Senile old duffer? At 54?

Now that really IS highly offensive. And again, you didn't bother looking up the context. The piece wasn't broadcast and was just a "fluff" that never even made it to the first edit before being re-done at his own instigation.

I suggest you consider withdrawing that allegation. Or are you promoting a policy of mandatory retirement for everyone over 50?

PDR

Page 1 of 63
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63  Next