View previous topic | View next topic

Question. How many fingers does a person have?

Page 1 of 1

Jillum89
1072252.  Sat May 03, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote

According to cultural standards, we have five fingers on each hand, but the biological definition of "finger" says that it has three joints. The thumb only has two, so it's not a finger. Also, the thumb isn't even called "xxx finger" like the rest. So in terms of biology we have four fingers on each hand - and we have five digits on each hand.

Though, I do need a good source for this. Wikipedia isn't really enough for me, and I'm not a master of tracking down sources. :)

knightmare
1072284.  Sat May 03, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Though, I do need a good source for this.

Try a medical source, confirming your claim. Please note the context of the word fingers may be important too.

swot
1072287.  Sat May 03, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote

If we count a joint as "Where the thumb joins to the hand" it has three, surely? The botton joint is just hidden by a thick pad of flesh, but you can see it easily enough on an x-ray or skeleton.

Posital
1072295.  Sat May 03, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote

swot wrote:
If we count a joint as "Where the thumb joins to the hand" it has three, surely? The botton joint is just hidden by a thick pad of flesh, but you can see it easily enough on an x-ray or skeleton.
Mine's the same - perhaps the OP is different...

CharliesDragon
1072353.  Sat May 03, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote

I'd argue that is the same bone that in the other fingers make up the hand. Mind, no source and I'm far from a medical professional of any kind. I just felt around on my own hand to see what would make sense.

Do the toes count as fingers, though? I can't be bothered to even take off my sock and count digits.

Page 1 of 1