View previous topic | View next topic

Lucky Lady (or possibly very unlucky)

Page 1 of 1

AprilFool91
1065777.  Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote

A lady by the name of Violet Jessop worked for White Star Line at the time of the three Olympic Class ships; Olympic, Titanic and Britanic.

She started out as a stewardess aboard the Olympic and was aboard during Olympics collision with HMS Hawke. The Olympic was then sent back for refitting and repairs. The majority of the crew was then transferred to the Titanic for its maiden voyage due to the fact that they already knew the ropes.

Therefore, Violet Jessop was working on the Titanic as a stewardess on the night of the sinking. She only survived as she was ordered to get into a lifeboat in order to set a good example to the passengers, saving a baby in the process.

During the First World War the third ship of the class, Britanic, was converted to a hospital ship. It just so happened that Violet Jessop, who had volunteered as a nurse, was then posted aboard the ship. The Britanic then sunk after supposedly hitting a mine off the Greek island of Kea. Violet managed to abandon ship, nearly getting sucked into the propellers in the process.

She then retired to a cottage in America but her strange experiences of the three ships didn't stop there. One night she received a phone call. A woman's voice at the other end asked her whether she had saved a baby on the night Titanic sank. Violet replied that she had. The voice at the other hand then said "I was that baby" laughed then hung up. Violet Jessop maintained that she hadn't told anyone about her part in saving the baby.

A reference is made to Violet in the 1997 film 'Titanic' in which Thomas Andrews instructs a young stewardess to put her life jacket on to set a good example.

Oldogsrbest
1067629.  Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote

I'd heard SOME of that, but not all. Thanx

There was a ship's cat that had a similar tale. I believe it is now doubted it was the same cat, all through. I think the story was, it was rescued in WW2 from a Brit warship, sunk, then lived on a German ship or sub., then when that was hit, rescued by a Brit warship, & I believe, was then retired to an Irish boarding house, with a retired sailor, whose landlady kept it on, when he died.

Speaking of Unlucky Ladies, I have forgotten the term Brit airmen had, for girls whose aircrew boyfriends seemed always to die. Can anyone remind me? I get SO fed up with my dumpty memory. It's degenerating badly. REALLY ANNOYING. The word GLIMMERS at me. Taunting, through the crap I can't forget... Just can't get close enough to grab it.

thedrew
1068219.  Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote

There were 52 souls aboard Lifeboat 16, of whom I can find names for only about 36. The story of Edwina Troutt and Violet Jessup seem oddly similar. Though the identity of Troutt's overnight ward was Asad Alexander Thomas (1911-1931). He was quite unable to be a woman in the 1950s, let alone use a telephone.

Oldogsrbest
1073178.  Fri May 09, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote

Did you know of the dogs that were saved by owners, on Titanic?

I HAD done all the hunting, & posted on 2 chook forums, I was always contributing stuff of general interest, thinking that even if I lost all my stuff on my computer, I could collect my stashes from all over the place, & the 2 Big & old forums closed down, while I was offline with wiped computer.

I THINK it was 3 or 4. Little dogs, of course, 1 bundled inside a rug, carried onto lifeboat, by a woman, & I think, 2? more, smuggled under capes/coats. One dog at least, belonged to a very famous/wealthy US couple, but name escapes me.

(Memory is truly shaming now. Won't be long until you can tell me the same gossip, weekly & get the same reaction).

1 may have been Shih Tzu, & I think 1 was a peke.

'yorz
1073182.  Fri May 09, 2014 3:16 am Reply with quote

It seems there were indeed 3 dogs of the 12 on board, that survived.
Article

'yorz
1073183.  Fri May 09, 2014 3:32 am Reply with quote

Oldogsrbest wrote:
Speaking of Unlucky Ladies, I have forgotten the term Brit airmen had, for girls whose aircrew boyfriends seemed always to die. Can anyone remind me?

I've come across the expression 'Jinxie Jean', but that may have been a reference to one specific (and indeed very unlucky) woman.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1385622.  Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote

One famous survivor of the disaster was the colourful American socialite and philanthropist Margaret Brown who has come to be known in history as the Unsinkable Molly Brown.

However, nobody on the Titanic called her Molly as her nickname at the time was actually Maggie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Brown

Page 1 of 1