View previous topic | View next topic

Danish Pastries

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
59699.  Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote

In light of the factoid mentioned in the meeting that Danish Pastries are actually called Austrian Pastries in Denmark:

Quote:
From now on, the sweet, flaky pastries which dominate the shelves in Iran's cake shops will be known as "Roses of the Prophet Mohammad," the official IRNA news agency reported as pressure on Denmark over the cartoons took on a new dimension.

source

MatC
59703.  Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote

Which of course fits in with Freedom Fries and so on in the USA. (And possibly with sausage dogs in the UK?)

The Americans have something called "English muffins."

MatC
60219.  Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:23 am Reply with quote

“Empire biscuits is the name given to a traditional Scottish snack. The biscuit has a layer of jam in between two shortbread biscuits and the top is covered with white water icing, usually decorated with a small jelly sweet (known as a "jube jube") in the centre. The name was originally German biscuits; however, with the outbreak of WWI it was renamed to empire biscuits, a reference to the British Empire.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_biscuit

Battenberg cake “was boycotted [in the UK] during the First World War.”
- ‘The Compendium of Nosh’ by Jack McLean (John Murray 2006)
(The same source suggests that French fries were renamed ‘Freedom potatoes’ in the US, during the run-up to the Iraq invasion).

[when the US entered WWI] “Sauerkraut became ‘victory cabbage,’ hamburgers turned into ‘liberty sandwiches,’ and ‘hamburger steak’ was henceforth known as ‘Salisbury steak.’”
- www.snopes.com/movies/actors/harpo.htm
(NB: Other sources say sauerkraut became Liberty Cabbage).

Flash
60221.  Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:28 am Reply with quote

This from the Freedom Fries thread on the Interestrings forum:

Quote:
On March 11, 2003, US Representatives Robert W. Ney and Walter B. Jones, Jr. declared that all references to "french fries" and "French toast" on the menus of the restaurants and snack bars run by the House of Representatives would be removed. House cafeterias were ordered to re-name french fries as "freedom fries". This action was carried out without a congressional vote, under the authority of Congressman Ney's position as Chairman of the Committee on House Administration, which oversees restaurant operations in the house. The simultaneous renaming of French toast as "freedom toast" attracted less attention. According to a statement released by Ney, this move was a symbolic effort to express displeasure with France's "continued refusal to stand with their U.S. allies" over the issue of Iraq. The French embassy made no comment, except to note that French fries are Belgian.

Precedents for this approach included the renaming of sauerkraut as "liberty cabbage" during the First World War, and hamburgers as "liberty steaks". These changes did not survive the war, but the renaming of frankfurters as "hot dogs" during the Second show has stuck.

MatC
60408.  Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:27 am Reply with quote

Scotch eggs aren’t Scottish; the “name derives from the verb to scotch, meaning to ‘chop up’,” according to ‘The Compendium of Nosh’ by Jack McLean (John Murray 2006).

Flash
60410.  Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:33 am Reply with quote

Does it say where they do come from? There might be a trick question in that.

MatC
60414.  Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:44 am Reply with quote

No, just that they are popular in English pubs. Though I note Wikipedia claims they are Scottish: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_egg

MatC
60418.  Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:54 am Reply with quote

And don't forget that trifle is called Zuppa Inglese - English soup -in Italy.

eggshaped
60426.  Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote

Here's a scotch ostrich egg:

Unfortunately the web seems to be saying in unison that they were invented in Scotland.

incidentally, does anyone think there might be something in ostrich eggs not being the largest? I'm sure I read about bigger shark eggs.

Flash
60472.  Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote

It would certainly have caught me out - I thought sharks were viviparous, but apparently not all of them are.

eggshaped
60480.  Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote

ok, I'll have a shufti round the web and be back

Gray
60620.  Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:14 am Reply with quote

Many sharks lay 'mermaid's purses' in which the young develop. These count as eggs.

See: http://www.rajidae.tmfweb.nl/ and
http://homepage.mac.com/mollet/Eggcases/Oviparous_sharks.html

eggshaped
142420.  Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:20 am Reply with quote

MatC Said:
Quote:
No, just that [Scotch Eggs] are popular in English pubs. Though I note Wikipedia claims they are Scottish: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_egg

Wikipedia now appears to have changed, claiming that they were invented by Fortnum & Mason in London. Frustratingly its source link is dead.

Here's something from Time Out London, which agrees with the new wiki:

Quote:

Fortnum’s invented the scotch egg in 1738 and continues to sell them (for £2.75 each) from their food hall, which has just reopened this week after huge refurbishment as part of its 300th anniversary celebrations.

I'd like to think that this could make a GI question, but I don't think it will work without knowing where the word actually comes from.

Mat Said:
Quote:

Scotch eggs aren’t Scottish; the “name derives from the verb to scotch, meaning to ‘chop up’,” according to ‘The Compendium of Nosh’ by Jack McLean (John Murray 2006).

This sounds great with one problem, scotch eggs aren't chopped up are they? The whole point is that they are whole eggs encased in sausagemeat and breadcrumbs.

Jenny
143330.  Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Couldn't there be a derogatory Scottish connection? After all, there you are, presented with what looks like a large ball of meat, and there turns out to be a cheapo egg inside it.

Page 1 of 1