View previous topic | View next topic

Drains

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Flash
61374.  Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:49 am Reply with quote

Domino Day links to Doris Day and so to Dogs thusly:

Quote:
This story ... is related by Kent Gavin, who was a Daily Mirror photographer. He was commissioned to photograph (Doris Day) in her apartment in New York. Shortly after he arrived, another visitor turned up, and while she was attending to the other visitor Gavin played with her dog, lobbing a ball around the room for it to run after. Unfortunately he threw the ball out of a window, and the dog jumped after it. He went and told Doris Day, and they rushed downstairs together to find the dog lying dead on the pavement. Gavin photographed Day's tearful reaction to the mishap, and the next day the Mirror ran a photo exclusive: "DORIS DAY WEEPS OVER DEAD DOG - Pictures by Kent Gavin".

I got this from a photographers' magazine, and it might be complete tosh for all I know, but it would be great if we could track it down and show the actual article.

post 25609

The story was also related by Piers Morgan in The Independent.

(on edit: see debunking post below)

Last edited by Flash on Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Flash
61375.  Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:01 am Reply with quote

To put the sparrow's efforts into context, the number of dominoes which were actually knocked over on Domino Day 2005 was over 4 million - even after 150,000 dominoes were disqualified for receiving an assist.

Quote:
4,002,136 out of a total of 4,321,000 stones fell, setting a new world record. The initial world record of 4,155,476 had to be corrected after it was realized that in the final challenge, where one participant had to complete a line of dominoes while the other had to hold the bar the stones were placed on, the bar was undeliberately held askew, therefore toppling stones that would not have toppled on their own. Since these few stones were necessary for a huge field containing 150,000 dominoes to topple, the whole field had to be excluded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domino_Day

eggshaped
61378.  Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:09 am Reply with quote

When reading the interview with Piers Morgan, I came across this classic:

Quote:
Our front-page headline on the day Paul Burrell was arrested said DI BUTLER ARRESTED. The next day, a letter arrived from a Welsh reader called Mrs Di Butler, complaining quite seriously that we had made her life hell because all the neighbours think it's her who has been nicking Diana's possessions. I looked at my PA, Kerrie, and we both just slowly shook our heads.

Flash
61379.  Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:11 am Reply with quote

Could we give each panellist a box of dominoes and get them to build a structure to knock over at the end? Or would that be too distracting?

Flash
61389.  Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:05 am Reply with quote

Also, it might be a continuity nightmare.

Some domino-toppling tricks explained here: http://www.mazeguy.net/dominoes.html

Dominoes are so called after masquerade masks (because the spots recalled the eye-holes in the masks). The use of the word for masks itself derives from a French word for a clerical hood which was black on the outside and white on the inside.

Domino theory was used to justify US interventions in Vietnam and also in Central America under Reagan.

MatC
61659.  Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote

When you have finished using lavatory paper in Cyprus, you are not allowed to flush it, I am told by a returning tourist ... and to my surprise, it appears to be true. The bins provided by way of an alternative are emptied “on a regular basis.”

www.holidayinnorthcyprus.com/aboutnc_general.jsp
www.crestaholidays.co.uk/anitenextpage.asp?p=SPCOFFER_52038

(I'm more of a Bognor man, myself.)

Flash
61664.  Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote

Same in Greece. The pipes just have too narrow a bore.

MatC
62232.  Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote

First published in 1989, available in seven languages, and with 1.5 million copies in print, Kathleen Meyer’s book HOW TO SHIT IN THE WOODS is a guide to how to shit, in the woods. It’s subtitled “An environmentally sound approach to a lost art.”

http://kathleeninthewoods.com/sitwsynopsis.htm

Available in the UK from Eco-logic Books.

Flash
62240.  Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote

Link to Diagram Prize

Flash
63030.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:57 am Reply with quote

The story above about Doris Day's dog has been authoritatively debunked by Camilla, who writes thus:

Quote:
I have been looking into the above, the Mirror have the article attached below. Unfortuntaley I have spoken to Kent Gavin (the photographer who allegedly took the photograph) he has confirmed the photo doesn't exist. Apparently the dog did jump out of the window, however this took place a few weeks after Kent visited Doris to take her photograph, and there were no photographers present at the time of the incident.

The story is a bit of an urban myth.

Gray
63036.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote

One for the 'complete bollocks' joker prize? Cos it's, you know, quite an amusing story...

Flash
63038.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote

Yes!

MatC
63053.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote

I've certainly read it about several different celebrities. And it got a new boost a few years ago when it was used as a TV ad. (For what, I cannot imagine. Stain remover?)

I think it most commonly appears as a "meeting the fiancee's parents for the first time" story, rather than a celeb story.

Gray
63186.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote

I think it was for Harp lager ("Time for a sharp exit...")

eggshaped
144028.  Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:22 am Reply with quote

Before he became famous for creating London's sewage system, Joseph Bazalgette put forward an idea to create a number of public lavatories in the capital.

His idea was to have free urinals, and charge people for using cubicals and toilet paper. He would also take the urine and faeces and sell them to local farmers as fertilizer.

In order to work-out his proposal he would hang around the few urinals in London, noting how often people used the facilites*.

Based on an average deposit of half a pint per person, he calculated that each urinal could produce £48 per year.

S: The World for a Shilling, Michael Leapman

*c.f. Newton hanging around brothels looking for counterfeiters

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next