Drains

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Flash
62240.  Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote

Link to Diagram Prize

Flash
63030.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:57 am Reply with quote

The story above about Doris Day's dog has been authoritatively debunked by Camilla, who writes thus:

Quote:
I have been looking into the above, the Mirror have the article attached below. Unfortuntaley I have spoken to Kent Gavin (the photographer who allegedly took the photograph) he has confirmed the photo doesn't exist. Apparently the dog did jump out of the window, however this took place a few weeks after Kent visited Doris to take her photograph, and there were no photographers present at the time of the incident.

The story is a bit of an urban myth.

Gray
63036.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote

One for the 'complete bollocks' joker prize? Cos it's, you know, quite an amusing story...

Flash
63038.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote

Yes!

MatC
63053.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote

I've certainly read it about several different celebrities. And it got a new boost a few years ago when it was used as a TV ad. (For what, I cannot imagine. Stain remover?)

I think it most commonly appears as a "meeting the fiancee's parents for the first time" story, rather than a celeb story.

Gray
63186.  Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote

I think it was for Harp lager ("Time for a sharp exit...")

eggshaped
144028.  Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:22 am Reply with quote

Before he became famous for creating London's sewage system, Joseph Bazalgette put forward an idea to create a number of public lavatories in the capital.

His idea was to have free urinals, and charge people for using cubicals and toilet paper. He would also take the urine and faeces and sell them to local farmers as fertilizer.

In order to work-out his proposal he would hang around the few urinals in London, noting how often people used the facilites*.

Based on an average deposit of half a pint per person, he calculated that each urinal could produce 48 per year.

S: The World for a Shilling, Michael Leapman

*c.f. Newton hanging around brothels looking for counterfeiters

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2