View previous topic | View next topic

QI Travel

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Flash
6523.  Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:44 pm Reply with quote

That sounds like the shipping forecast. "Islay Colonsay Tiree backing more strongly later. Good."

Liebig
6524.  Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:13 am Reply with quote

Flash, more likely " backing weaker, later ", but does this suggest a QI idea, which is to follow the shipping forecast, or an idiot's guide, or something.....

Frances
6525.  Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:03 am Reply with quote

Jenny, Don't you think I'm already doing enough globe-trotting this year? Even apart from my trip to Bute - Liebig, I live in a bonny bit of Scotland, but Bute is something special, I envy you - or I would if the mudges wouldn't eat me alive - I've been to Morocco and I'm going to spend almost another two months in the glorious U. S. of A in the back end - my poor husband would be wondering where I was!

Macchu Picchu another time, maybe. I had such a hassle with my travel firm that they've offered me a 10% off the next trip I take with them; if I trust them again - which I may well do, having seen the worst [I hope] that they can do - I might see if they go to Mexico or thereabouts. So let me know what it's like, and if it's good and still there, which I hope it is for you and Sarah, then I might follow in your esteemed footsteps.

Jenny
6527.  Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:55 am Reply with quote

It's not this year Frances, it's next year, which is why I thought of you. I know where you are going to be in October this year - with any luck we might even have a bedroom for you to sleep in!

Liebig
6534.  Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:24 pm Reply with quote

Sorry Frances, I gave the wrong impression. I'm on the Cowal peninsula overlooking Bute..two fine rainbows today, a dead badger yesterday, a bat in the house last week and a fine crack in the pub tonight.

Frances
6538.  Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:54 am Reply with quote

Liebig, crack on regaredless - or rather, relishboth the crack and the lovely scenery around you.

Jenny, I have this offer from Guerba travel, which has to be taken up by February 2006. But when are you going? I could maybe just possibly go to Macchu Picchu with you, and also to China with Guerba in the spring or autumn, before or after. I was planning to go white water rafting in Turkey in June, but that can wait for another year, where apparently Macchu Picchu might not. Email me direct and we can maybe work it out - it'd be great.

Jenny
6540.  Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:02 pm Reply with quote

Will do Frances.

hardie
6543.  Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:01 am Reply with quote

I once made the mistake of trying to camp on Bute and was driven off by the Earl's psychopathic gaulieters. Learned along the way that thre reason why the rented farms are all so freshly painted: his Lordship seeminlgy owns (or owned) a paint works and the tenancies specified how often and in which colour the properties should be redecorated. This was in the seventies.

Frances
6547.  Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:54 am Reply with quote

Sounds like the Cawdor estate up my way, where Lady Cawdor recently tore several strips off a poor guy who had stopped on the high road to take a photo of the castle. I think she has it copyrighted or something. No caravans allowed, either. On the good side, during the Clearances of wretched memory, the then Earl Cawdor told his grieve, a Mr Valentine, not to throw anyone off his land.

Jenny
6554.  Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote

The book Star of the Sea, which both Frances and I have read recently, goes into interesting detail about clearances like that in Ireland during the famine years.

hardie
6558.  Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote

In Ireland it was to do with spuds, in Scotland mutton. The differnce these days is that the great Irish estates were broken up (pre-Independence) and tenants allowed to buy their land on the never-never. A last fling attempt to keep the Union together.

smiley_face
193505.  Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Having spent the last few weeks researching travelling, I thought I'd resurrect this thread (despite it lying dormant for over three years!).

If you guys could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?

hardie
193606.  Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:39 am Reply with quote

If you want to go places where there are next to no tourists apart from yourself, which of course is what most of us want, head for politically unstable and/or controvercial countries. I've done Yemen, Georgia (both wonderful ) in recent years, and people seem to love Iran...

simonp
193641.  Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote

Norway again, the scenery is like Scotland turned up to 11. The crime rate is low and the further north you go the better it gets. Oslo is nice, but looks like any other capital city. Go to Trondheim, the second city where the kings and queens are crowned. Then just carry on north into the arctic circle and over the top to Finland.

Yes its politically stable, but no less interesting for it. We met very few Brits when we were there, which is what I want when travelling.

djgordy
193645.  Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote

I've just bought a boat as I want to pop down the road to the shops for a pint of milk.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next