View previous topic | View next topic

Driving

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

eggshaped
59625.  Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:13 am Reply with quote

Post your driving facts, fiction or otherwise here:

Quote:
Police charged an Australian driver with "reversing further than necessary" after he travelled backwards for more than 40 km along one of the country's busiest highways.

Police said the man was stopped on the Hume Highway, which runs between the cities of Sydney and Melbourne, at Benalla, about 200 km northeast of Melbourne.

Police said the man told them reverse was the only gear in the car that worked and that he was travelling home to the small regional town of Numurkah, a further 90 km away.

He was also charged with unlicensed driving and driving an unregistered car and will appear in court later this year.

Reuters

simonp
60003.  Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote

In the UK a car may have more than one driver at a time. The driver of a car is the person 'in the recognised driving position' or 'the person who controls the motion of the vehicle'. Therefore if the person in the driving seat is aware that they are going to sneeze (the example given in the book) and asks the passenger to hold the steering wheel the car then has 2 drivers.

S:Preparing for your Inspectors Exam. With some memory too, I appear to have misplaced the book

simonp
60005.  Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote

Buses Coaches and Trams. Give priority to these vehicles when you can do so safely, especially when they signal to pull away from stops.

S:The Highway Code

Not overly interesting, or even really Quite Interesting. I just wish more people had read this bit of the Highway Code.

Sorry, rant over

Last edited by simonp on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Natalie
60106.  Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote

My driving fact is that I will be doing so in around 3 weeks.

The provisional application forms ask you for organ donations. Bit personal...

mckeonj
60139.  Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote

When I was learning to drive 50 odd years ago, the Highway Code had a section of hand signals to be given by drivers; this included whip signals to be given by drivers of horse-drawn vehicles. I also remember a very funny 'spoof' version of the Highway Code by (memory) Fougasse & McCullough.

gerontius grumpus
60301.  Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote

Iam unreliably informed that new drivers are not taught to merge out of slip roads. Instead they are advised to just drive out into the carriageway and expect the traffic to make way for them.
Doesn't sound very convincing but I know plenty of junctions where this frequently happens.

tetsabb
60302.  Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
I am unreliably informed that new drivers are not taught to merge out of slip roads. Instead they are advised to just drive out into the carriageway and expect the traffic to make way for them.
Doesn't sound very convincing but I know plenty of junctions where this frequently happens.

Explains a lot....

Norb
60315.  Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.htm

233: When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

give priority to traffic already on the motorway
check the traffic on the motorway and adjust your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
not cross solid white lines that separate lanes
stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.

Caradoc
60338.  Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote

Norb wrote:
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.htm

233: When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

give priority to traffic already on the motorway
check the traffic on the motorway and adjust your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
not cross solid white lines that separate lanes
stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.

395: If you are driving a BMW none of the previous rules apply to you, you do of course 'own' the road.

metamorphiccat
60531.  Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I am unreliably informed that new drivers are not taught to merge out of slip roads. Instead they are advised to just drive out into the carriageway and expect the traffic to make way for them.

No, that's called being an inconsiderate git. Or maybe I just had a very good driving instructor who was keen on manners and driving safely. Just as many experienced drivers are inconsiderate and pushy as new drivers, and new drivers are more likely to hold back out of nerves.

Quote:
If you are driving a BMW none of the previous rules apply to you, you do of course 'own' the road.

My limited experience does bear that one out, but I'd add Mercedes and Lexus drivers, as well as all the mums in 4x4s.

gerontius grumpus
60558.  Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote

And chavs in hot hatches.

simonp
60641.  Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:22 am Reply with quote

I saw a BMW with a taxi sign on the top of it a few days ago. Gave that one a very wide berth!

suze
60648.  Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:30 am Reply with quote

If you lived where I do, you would see an awful lot of those every day!

Our taxis divide quite neatly into three kinds - black BMWs, silver Mercedes, and beat up old Vauxhalls, Sierras etc. The black Beamers tend to have young Asian drivers who take the corners faster than I would and play the music too loud, but if you're in a hurry, they are the ones to go for!

gerontius grumpus
60745.  Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote

Most of the taxis in my area are Skodas now the brand has been rehabilitated.

It's strange how Jeremy Clarkson rants on about buses but never about taxis. Must be something to do with his lifestyle.

Caradoc
60749.  Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote

Motor journalists get wonderful freebies from car manufacturers, from paid trips to vehicle launches in the Bahamas to long term test vehicle loans, if some one would 'lend' me a Jag for 12 months I would write nice articles about it, especialy when after the 12 months they say 'don't return it to us it's used, just sell it'.

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next