View previous topic | View next topic

S Fry not the smartarse l thought he was.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

poacher
26455.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:33 am Reply with quote

If there was one man in England l would have put money on to pronounce taxidermist correctly it would be Stephen Fry. Sadly, l would have lost my money. On Friday's show Stephen took great delight in telling us how, when a stuffed duck billed platypus was first revealed to the world many people thought that it was an example of botched work by a taxidermist.

Please note, and never forget, that the correct pronunciation of this noun is tax-idermist not taxi-dermist. Does no one at QI consult a dictionary?

Anna
26460.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:42 am Reply with quote

Hurrah! At least I have one thing on Stephen Fry - I can pronounce taxidermist. =D

Just out of curiousity, do all British people say "duck-billed platypus"? It is, after all, slightly redundant...

Flash
26461.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:16 am Reply with quote

"Correct" is a funny old word, isn't it? Poacher, go to this web page: http://www.cooldictionary.com/words/pronounce.mpl?phrase=taxidermist, click on "Hear pronunciation of taxidermist" and tell us whether you approve.

The etymology of the word (taxis + derm) would suggest splitting the word in the way you say we shouldn't, although you may well be right for all I know. I'm tempted to say that I don't give a stuff myself, but only so that I can get a "stuff" joke in.

Anna - I suppose "duck-billed platypus" is not tautologous, because the plain vanilla platypus is a beetle so you need to specify that that isn't what you're talking about.

Anna
26475.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote

Hmmm... I didn't know that.

But for the record, if you said "duck-billed platypus" in Australia you may get some slightly odd looks.

Flash
26483.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:10 am Reply with quote

I think it is normally referred to in that way over here.

Gray
26485.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:29 am Reply with quote

That's to distinguish it from the duck-billed duck.

Caradoc
26489.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote

What is the original (Aboriginal) name for the Duck Billed Platypus?

I know there are lots of aboriginal languages but one would be QI to know.

Probably won't be as good as "kerosene lamp belong jesus gone buggerup" though.

simonp
26493.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote

poacher wrote:

Please note, and never forget, that the correct pronunciation of this noun is tax-idermist not taxi-dermist. Does no one at QI consult a dictionary?

I make no claim to know how to correctly pronounce taxidermist however it has made me wonder about pronunciation in general. I live in Plymouth and many words are pronounced differently here than elsewere, but could you say that they were wrong?

Cold is fequently pronounced code which leads to many young children in Mrs P's class spelling it as it sounds eg its code outside today. Is this the root cause of spelling problems? Are the children wrong to say the word as they do?

simonp
26494.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote

What does kerosene lamp belong jesus gone buggerup mean??????

Anna
26497.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Australian Aborigines call the platypus by many names including mallangong, boondaburra, and tambreet. Early British settlers called it by many names as well, such as watermole, duckbill, and duckmole. The name platypus is often prefixed with the adjective "duck-billed" to form duck-billed platypus, despite there being only one species of platypus.

Of course there are thousands of aboriginal languages, so there are probably a few more names.

Caradoc
26502.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote

simonp wrote:
What does kerosene lamp belong jesus gone buggerup mean??????

Its from an earlier series, its an aborigine's description of a solar eclipse.

Anna
26504.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Tsk, tsk. "Aboriginal person", not "aborigine".

Caradoc
26507.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote

Or even native australian?

Anna
26508.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote

Indeed. =D

brackett
26523.  Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:35 pm Reply with quote

Is that how Stephen pronounced the word? What an absolute dickhead! I've lost all respect for the man.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next