View previous topic | View next topic

Dead Sea

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

eyeqew
175063.  Wed May 16, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
What's the difference between a sea and a lake, anyway?

A sea is salt water, I would think. Waits for klaxon.

suze
175077.  Wed May 16, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it needs to be as complicated as that.

I reckon a lake is a body of water surrounded by land. Some lakes are salty (the Caspian Sea and Dead Sea, for instance, are both salty and are both in fact lakes). No seas are freshwater, but some are less salty than others (I believe that the Black Sea is relatively unsalty).

Oh, and welcome to the forums eyeqew. Another of my lot!!

samivel
175078.  Wed May 16, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Why are the Caspian and the Dead called seas if they are, in fact, lakes?

Oh, and welcome to you eyeqew :)

fishfool
371692.  Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:03 am Reply with quote

the Dead Sea is called though because purportedly there is no life there but as a matter of fact, there are several indigenous bacteria and once there was even a sighting of some sort of fish (though knowing what goes on there it was probably a highly salted clementina)

If you shave your legs or something before you go into the Dead Sea you will know pain unsurpassable, and if it gets into your eyes you're screwed. luckily, there are fresh water fountains installed in the middle of some of the tourist swim areas

the dead sea can dehydrate you because of the salinity

the dead sea mud is one of the most highly commercial natural resources/cosmetics in israel because of its healing propensities

if you stay in too long you'll die--Fishfool

Beaglefish
375015.  Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote

The well named Flash said 'one cannot get upright in the dead sea' . This must be true, mine shrivels in the local swimming pool....

Sadurian Mike
375060.  Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote

Beaglefish wrote:
The well named Flash said 'one cannot get upright in the dead sea' . This must be true, mine shrivels in the local swimming pool....

That's just naughty.

I wish I'd thought of it.

bathsalts
765417.  Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote

The Dead Sea is incredibly salty. So salty, in fact, that you could float on the surface of the water without even trying. You could sit back and read a newspaper without waving an arm. The Dead Sea is the second saltiest body of water on earth, with 33% salt almost 10 times the amount of salt in ordinary seawater. The salt itself is rich in mineral content and low in sodium, making it highly therapeutic and quite bitter, unlike table salt.

Zebra57
766279.  Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote

Welcome you may wish to announce your arrival in knock knock

Jenny
766290.  Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote

That's a spammer Zebra - I left the post as it was harmless, but the poster is a known spammer selling Dead Sea bath salts.

bobwilson
766299.  Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
the poster is a known spammer

That's interesting. Obviously the username isn't a known spammer or it would have been banned already. So the user has set up a second identity which has been recognised as a spoof name which has been identified by some other means.

suze
766385.  Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:29 am Reply with quote

Not necessarily, actually. I don't want to go into just exactly how Jenny identifies people whose intentions are spamulous in case it helps those people, but here's an idea.

Jenny runs some checks on everyone who signs up to these forums, and any new user who is identified as being a spammer is prevented from posting. There is in fact a fairly substantial number of would-be spammers who are weeded out at that point and never get to make a post.

The moderators based in the UK don't run checks of that kind, but do delete any posts we find which are obvious spam - and "obvious spam" generally means that the post contains a commercial link. Unfortunately, some of the spam people seem to have realized that - and so they make a post with no link (as above) and then come back later to edit in their link.

But poor Mr bathsalts got "caught" by Jenny in between making his original post and coming back to edit it - so he won't now get the chance.

'yorz
766431.  Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote

Not sure how to say this without endorsing spamming, but my experiences with these kind of salts have been quite positive, although the prices are quite steep. Still not sure why those salts are good for psoriasis treatments and the like.

Jenny
766481.  Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote

I have no objection to people discussing in general how those kind of salts are helpful - just to people posting commercial links to try and sell them to us. Suze's explanation of how spammers get prevented from posting is exactly right.

saltsbath
770843.  Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote

The Dead Sea is recognized as a powerful rehabilitative center, thanks to the wonderful climate, therapeutic waters and natural beauty. The shores of the lake are now teeming with spas, wellness centers, hotels and retreats. The area is thriving and tourists from around the globe gather there to witness the wonder that is the Dead Sea.

Jenny
770885.  Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote

And that is the same spammer, under a different name, and has been banned again.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next