View previous topic | View next topic

Number fact competition?

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

GuyBarry
1150314.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote

Ah, I see. I couldn't work out what it could possibly have been - negative numbers? Fractions? (Now there's a thought...)

 
GuyBarry
1150356.  Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:14 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:

2. We don't give a foetid dingo's danglies about the quantity - for us the primary feature is that the items are "interesting" (and possibly funny).


I just wanted to come back to this, because there's an implicit assumption that if you're going for volume the items will necessarily be less interesting or less funny.

I think we probably average about three items a day on the Counting game. It varies wildly, of course, just like the NNFG - people are under no obligation to contribute, they just take part as they please. Nevertheless, we do have the occasional "blitz" when we start to fall behind. I had a look at the last one to see if the quality of the items suffered (we got from 1937 to 1960 in just under two hours). Here's an excerpt:

Quote:

Jerdon's babbler, a bird previously thought to be extinct since July 1941, has been rediscovered in Myanmar.

And with this exciting news I can confirm that we have drawn level with QI!


Quote:
I guess that means we've now overtaken QI!! That deserves a celebration, with a special song. How's about asking Paul McCartney to write it for us? He was born in 1942.


Quote:
We have indeed (at least at the time of posting). We could go out for a celebration meal at the 1943 Pizza Bar, although it's a bit of a long way to Greenport, NY...


Quote:
Indeed. And by the time we get there, we might have slipped into second place again.

Let's be content to know that the Normandy Landings of D-Day in 1944 were a major stage in bringing the Second World War to an end.


Quote:
...which of course it did in 1945. That's the entire war from beginning to end in 33 minutes.


I don't know about anyone else here, but I actually thought it was funnier because we were racing. I'm not saying I'd want to do it all the time though!

 
GuyBarry
1150554.  Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote

Now that's the sort of post I like (from DrainBrain) :)

(I wonder if we could do a "Best of Counting/NNFG" compilation?)

 
Posital
1150559.  Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote

Hi Guy - welcome to the forums.

You're very welcome to participate in our other games if you fancy.

I like the misquoting one - and words to sound smart.

Perhaps we can have a similar competition around these? Maybe not.

I suspect the fact that the "number fact" game is based around numbers gives the impression that each post is a progression of some sort.

It's not really - I don't know about you but I don't think we're any nearer the end than when we started...

Keep the faith.

 
bemahan
1150563.  Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote

I'd forgotten about the misquoting game. I think it's a bit different to how it used to be in the Middle Ages of QI-dom, but I may be nis-remembering.

 
GuyBarry
1150590.  Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Hi Guy - welcome to the forums.

You're very welcome to participate in our other games if you fancy.


Yes, I have already done so! I even started one called "Unbelievable" which you participated in, but which seems to have fallen into disuse. Maybe we could revive it?

(I also started the "Around the World Game", by the way, which was going until quite recently.)

Quote:
I suspect the fact that the "number fact" game is based around numbers gives the impression that each post is a progression of some sort.

It's not really - I don't know about you but I don't think we're any nearer the end than when we started...


You have a point there! ("First one to infinity gets the prize :)")

As I hope you've realized now, our Counting game is just as silly as the NNFG (if not more so). I don't know what people on this forum envisaged - some sort of industrial-level operation churning out remorseless facts in a desperate attempt to crush the opposition? I don't think so. I love both threads and contributed quite a lot to the earlier part of the NNFG.

None the less, I did get a quiet sense of satisfaction when I saw the reference to the "proof that 2027 is the year of Armageddon" which I posted myself six weeks ago...

 
Posital
1150593.  Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote

Ooo - I'm also two years late in welcoming you - I should pay more attention really.

Thought the e-bikkies were a bit stale... that explains it. then.

 
GuyBarry
1150632.  Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Posital wrote:
Hi Guy - welcome to the forums.

You're very welcome to participate in our other games if you fancy.


Yes, I have already done so! I even started one called "Unbelievable" which you participated in, but which seems to have fallen into disuse. Maybe we could revive it?


I've just had a look at it again. I love the idea (and it's unequivocally "QI-ish") but the rules got so complicated because I kept having to amend them for various eventualities! I'll see if I can work out a simpler version of the game and maybe we can have another go.

Quote:
Ooo - I'm also two years late in welcoming you - I should pay more attention really.


No problem! Being welcomed twice is always nice :)

 
GuyBarry
1153270.  Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:

WE'RE NOT COMPETING. SOME THREADS LAY DORMANT FOR AGES AND THEN BECOME ACTIVE. IT'S NOT A COMPETITION. HOW MANY TIMES DO WE NEED TO TELL YOU THIS? HOW MANY OF US NEED TO TELL YOU?


Well, if you say so. You are, none the less, formidable opponents, as you have just proved yet again. For people who claim not to be interested in a competition, you appear to have a remarkable ability to fight back. It's quite paradoxical.

You're not going to stop us from racing against you, whatever you say. We've been doing it for a year, on and off. We find it enjoyable (or some of us do, anyway). I'm sorry you don't.

This was only ever meant as a bit of fun, like the game itself. It wasn't supposed to become a bone of contention. The only reason why I came over to the forum in the first place was that it seemed rather churlish not to congratulate you all on getting to 2000 when we'd made all that effort to get there before you. I wish I hadn't bothered now.

If people had said "Thank you very much and best of luck with your own game", none of this would have happened. Why all the resentment against people who are simply trying to have an innocent bit of fun just as you are?

It was the tone of the responses that I didn't like, trying to suggest that the NNFG was somehow more playful, more interesting or funnier than the Counting game. I think our game gives QI's game a pretty good run for its money on all those counts. We're just as imaginative, just as diverse, just as off-the-wall, if not more so, and with a smaller group of regular players. You could at least have given us some credit, especially when I'd been very complimentary about your game.

I apologize again for suggesting that your players were plagiarizing our material; I was simply mistaken about that. I also apologize for disrupting the main game thread with my other comments (on the Tube Challenge forum we have a separate "discussion thread" so that that sort of thing doesn't happen). But I'm not going to apologize for the fact that, from time to time, the Tube Challengers like to compare progress with the QI game. There's no harm in it, surely.

Now can we possibly bury this particular hatchet? It's been causing me a certain amount of distress recently.

 
Alfred E Neuman
1153287.  Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
It was the tone of the responses that I didn't like, trying to suggest that the NNFG was somehow more playful, more interesting or funnier than the Counting game.


Speaking purely on behalf of myself, as I always do, it's your tone that I don't like. We've told you repeatedly that we don't care for your competition, are not partaking in it, and are merely playing our game for our own entertainment, yet you keep coming back and chivvying us along, telling us how well we're doing and generally ignoring everything we've said. If you can't understand that someone can do something just for the fun of it without having to compete with someone else then I truly feel sorry for you.

The fact that you are unable to see that our progress in the game has nothing to do with you or your game, and insist on taking credit for motivating us to redouble our efforts is also annoying.

I don't have a problem with you, and if you want o contribute to the forums or the game I'm sure you have interesting points. But I really can't stand this fixation that you have about the bloody game. From my point of view, I'm participating in it in spite of your posts on this forum, not because of them. I briefly considered avoiding the game completely because of your constant chiding, but decided that I wasn't going to allow you to dictate to me where and how I post.

If I were the only person who didn't appreciate your approach to this, I'd probably have just ignored you long ago, but I happen to know that you're bugging quite a few other people too. I don't think I'm going to continue this discussion with you though - you refuse to listen, refuse to concede that I may have a point and question my integrity when I tell you that your influence is not what moved the game along quickly. In short, I'd accuse you of being a troll, except for the fact that I believe you don't actually grasp how annoying your behaviour is.

 
PDR
1153313.  Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
If you can't understand that someone can do something just for the fun of it without having to compete with someone else then I truly feel sorry for you.


Indeed. You only have to look at Jensen Button and Fernando Alonso to see further examples of this.

PDR

 
GuyBarry
1153361.  Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:08 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
If you can't understand that someone can do something just for the fun of it without having to compete with someone else then I truly feel sorry for you.


Of course I can. I take part in a number of different games across several different forums. Most of them aren't competitive in any way. As an example, take the "Around the World Game", which I brought across to this forum from the Tube Challenge Forum, and which ran here quite successfully for some time. It involves trying to find a place-name that starts with the same letters as the end of the last place-name. There's no competition involved.

The Counting game isn't, of itself, competitive either. It operates in exactly the same way as the NNFG - you just have to find a (hopefully interesting) fact about the next number in sequence. I took part in both Counting and the NNFG simultaneously for quite some time, with no thought of any competition between them. It was only when the numbers started to draw level that the idea occurred to me of a race. Some of the Tube Challengers were quite keen but the QI people weren't, so we've been having this sort of "one-sided" race for the last year or so, where we measure our progress against yours. I can't see that it's anything to be worried about.

Quote:
The fact that you are unable to see that our progress in the game has nothing to do with you or your game, and insist on taking credit for motivating us to redouble our efforts is also annoying.


OK, that's fair enough. It won't be repeated.

Quote:
I don't have a problem with you, and if you want o contribute to the forums or the game I'm sure you have interesting points. But I really can't stand this fixation that you have about the bloody game. From my point of view, I'm participating in it in spite of your posts on this forum, not because of them.


It's not a "fixation". I keep track of progress in the NNFG because it's a way of measuring our progress in the Counting game. I've been doing it without mentioning it on this forum up until recently. I'm sorry I ever mentioned it here - I really didn't think people would take it that badly. I thought people might be flattered by the thought that the game is regarded as a sort of "benchmark", but it seems not.

Quote:
I don't think I'm going to continue this discussion with you though - you refuse to listen, refuse to concede that I may have a point and question my integrity when I tell you that your influence is not what moved the game along quickly. In short, I'd accuse you of being a troll, except for the fact that I believe you don't actually grasp how annoying your behaviour is.


Well OK, let's agree to differ then. The Tube Challengers can continue to compete, and the QI people can continue in blissful ignorance of the whole thing. It's worked fine until now and there's no reason why it shouldn't continue.

 

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group