View previous topic | View next topic

Number fact competition?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

GuyBarry
1150124.  Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote

Don't be so modest! As far as I can tell, this is actually the first forum to list a fact for every number from 1 to 2000, anywhere on the internet. Although the Tube Challengers got to 2000 first, our game actually started from 433 - there was an earlier game with less well-defined rules, which the administrator deleted in a fit of pique. So as far I can tell, you've set a record.

I've discovered a couple of other "counting" threads, one on Reddit and one on Digital Spy, but they just seem to list numbers in sequence (which is as boring as I can possibly imagine). I also discovered one somewhere that uses images rather than facts - it was on about 2600 last time I looked, though I've forgotten where it was now.

I find numbers fascinating. I can't think of any other reason why I'd have embarked on such a crazy enterprise. It's the only game that can truly never end.

Alfred E Neuman
1150183.  Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote

Why do you persist in trying to cajole us to compete when you've been told repeatedly that we don't care at all? Your tone comes across as extremely patronising, congratulating us on an achievement which is totally meaningless is something that I actually find quite annoying. We're (reasonably) intelligent adults, not babies who need a little encouragement to use the potty correctly.

'yorz
1150195.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote

How does one use the potty incorrectly? Put it over your head after the deed is done?

GuyBarry
1150196.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
Why do you persist in trying to cajole us to compete when you've been told repeatedly that we don't care at all?

I don't understand what you mean. I was simply congratulating you.

If my tone comes across as patronizing, I apologize; it certainly wasn't intended that way. You can be terribly British about it if you like and say "oh, it was nothing", but the fact remains that it's a tremendous achievement whether you like it or not. Well done again and good luck on the next thousand.

As for being "meaningless", well isn't being the fastest person to run 100 metres, or climb Everest, "meaningless"? All measures of achievement are to some extent arbitrary. Over at the Tube Challenge Forum there are many people (I'm not one of them) who aim to visit all 270 London Underground stations in the fastest time. There's no real point to it, of course; but it's something they take a lot of pride in. I suppose it's all a matter of individual attitude.

There's probably a sociological dissertation to be written about all this. Why is it that two groups of people can complete the same task and yet have completely different attitudes to what they've done?

Last edited by GuyBarry on Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:19 am; edited 2 times in total

'yorz
1150198.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
the fact remains that it's a tremendous achievement whether you like it or not. Well done again and good luck on the next thousand
Point that you fail to grasp is that we do not see it as an achievement but as a playful means to keep ourselves off the street. That's all.
Stop going on about it.

GuyBarry
1150199.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote

Don't you think our game is playful as well? We've had a lot of fun with it since it's been running. At one stage we got into a pattern of creating tenuous links between one fact and the next - the more tortuous the better ("did someone mention craters on the moon?"). I was in fits of hysterical laughter at one stage.

It was quite exciting to find that there was another group of people playing the same game, as I'd never come across anything like it anywhere else. At one stage I joined in and recycled some of the facts I'd posted to the other game, as the game had stalled somewhat on this forum. So I've done my bit to help things along, and I have to say it seems a little churlish to criticize me now.

I've enjoyed reading the New Number Fact Game thread over the last year or so while we've been playing our parallel game, and learned a lot of new things from it. The aim is, presumably, to be entertaining as well as informative, and you've definitely succeeded in both those aims. I hope that doesn't come across as patronizing either.

I don't really know what else I can say. I've offered nothing but goodwill, and you don't seem to want it. Odd.

PDR
1150206.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote

1. Alf is unlikely to be "british" about anything much (he may even regard that as insulting)

2. We don't give a foetid dingo's danglies about the quantity - for us the primary feature is that the items are "interesting" (and possibly funny). Being impressed by quantity is strictly a knuckle-dragger thing. Perhaps we should have named the forum something with the word "interesting" in the title to indicate this to visitors...

3. For us it's a "game" in the sense of a "pastime", not in the sense of a "competition" (which is why we're not overly bothered about the rules). It very much IS a matter of enjoying the taking part and not caring about the score. It's a game in the same way that ISIHAC is a game - and progress & scores have that kind of significance.

Capisce?

PDR

bemahan
1150213.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote

That's a bit rude, PDR. I think GuyBarry's heart's in the right place. He just doesn't really know when to withdraw.
(See, I can do patronising too.)

GuyBarry
1150217.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
1. Alf is unlikely to be "british" about anything much (he may even regard that as insulting)

My apologies if that was the case.

Quote:
2. We don't give a foetid dingo's danglies about the quantity - for us the primary feature is that the items are "interesting" (and possibly funny).

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. Do you think I'd be interested in it if it were just a list of road numbers or locomotive numbers? That's the whole point - the way it jumps around from one subject to another, covering unexpected topics and making unusual connections. And our Counting game is exactly the same! Have any of you actually looked at it?

I really don't know what people here are getting their knickers in a twist over. We're playing identical games in two different places, with the same aims - to be informative and entertaining. The competitive stuff was just a bit of extra icing on the cake. It's not the main aim of the game - I introduced it principally because the Tube Challenge game was starting to stall, so it was just an extra incentive for people to keep the game going. You don't have to take part here if you don't want to, but I don't see any reason in getting all resentful about it. If you're not interested in the topic then you're free to ignore this thread. That's why I created it separately from the game thread.

(Incidentally, one difference that we have on the TC forum is that there's a separate "discussion thread", so that when the discussion goes off on a tangent - as it often does - it doesn't disrupt the flow of the game. I think it works well.)

Quote:
Being impressed by quantity is strictly a knuckle-dragger thing.

Umm, it's a number fact game. Numbers are all about quantity.

Being impressed by the 2000th fact is neither more nor less significant than celebrating the year 2000. There was some people who didn't do so and regarded it as just another day. My fact on the TC forum was actually a link to a BBC news report of the millennium celebrations - I thought we ought to have some fireworks! It was back down to business with 2001 next post.

Quote:
3. For us it's a "game" in the sense of a "pastime", not in the sense of a "competition" (which is why we're not overly bothered about the rules). It very much IS a matter of enjoying the taking part and not caring about the score.

I couldn't agree more. I really think you've misunderstood the nature of the Tube Challenge game - it's pretty much identical in spirit to this one. I'm sorry if I gave a different impression.

Quote:
It's a game in the same way that ISIHAC is a game - and progress & scores have that kind of significance.

(They used to have pretend scores on ISIHAC once upon a time. My favourite announcement was "Tim and Willie have scored the most points, but Graeme and Barry have won".)

Quote:
Capisce?

Of course I understand. Our two forums are playing identical games in a very similar spirit. Why would I not understand?

GuyBarry
1150223.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
And our Counting game is exactly the same! Have any of you actually looked at it?

Here's a sample from the days when we were attempting to link one fact to the next one. You might want to try it here!

Alfred E Neuman
1150230.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:30 am Reply with quote

Guy, you don't want the job of Springbok Rugby coach do you? I hear they might have an opening soon, and I think they could use some encouragement. And it'll keep you off the streets too :-)

And no, I'm not British, I've never even been on the same side of the equator to Britain.

GuyBarry
1150239.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:05 am Reply with quote

I meant "British" in the sense of "stiff-upper-lip" rather than in the literal sense, but apologies if I caused offence.

Anyway, I think this has all been something of a storm in a teacup, so I'll leave you with my latest post to the Counting thread. I give you my permission to use it when you get to 2122 :)

Quote:
Come with me now to Urban Retreat at Harrods for the services of 2122 Hair Medica by Ricardo Vila Nova, "world leading hair tricologist" - but one who's apparently incapable of spelling the word "trichologist" correctly. Apparently he "focuses on your personal hair and scalp requirements, offering a bespoke and highly sought after service". (What would be a "non-personal" hair and scalp requirement?)

Alfred E Neuman
1150243.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
I meant "British" in the sense of "stiff-upper-lip" rather than in the literal sense, but apologies if I caused offence.

None taken :-)

GuyBarry
1150304.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote

While I think of it, here's a question that I've wanted to know the answer to since I joined the forum:

What was the old number fact game?

Strawberry
1150311.  Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote

I don't think there is an old number fact game. I imagine that Sophie.A put the word new in the title because she'd started a thread that we haven't had before.

Although I could be wrong but that's how it seems anyroad.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next