View previous topic | View next topic

Colours...

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

alexander
1048097.  Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote

Colours do not realy exist... True or false?
I think this is true

zomgmouse
1048295.  Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote

They do exist, they're just different for everyone.

alexander
1048301.  Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote

Hi zomgmouse
Thanks for your answer.

Ok. maybe you are right, and I was not accurate enough.
Objects around us do not have colours.

Try to look at an object that you call red. What do you really see; The object absorbs a light spectrum of certain temperature (lets say 9.600 kelvin) and reflects part of that spectrum. What we see is what the object reflects. So the colour is not really on the object. Its just the reflection of the light spectrum that the object did not absorb. If we change the light source temperature or spectrum, we can see a totally different colour on the same object.
Am I right;

(excuse my English, I am Greek)

zomgmouse
1048309.  Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote

I'm not disputing that what you're seeing is a reflection, or rather the way your eyes interpret that reflection, but you're still seeing it, and if they can change then they exist.

alexander
1048362.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote

Is there anything else you see, that is not really there?

NigelHutson
1048415.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote

There are probably several things we see which aren't really there; the most notable are probably mirages.

A subset of this might be things we can see which are no longer there; I'm thinking now of many of the stars in the sky. Given their distance from us and the fact that light travels at a finite speed, we are now seeing the light reaching us even though the stars themselves burned out long ago.

Or did I dream this?

CharliesDragon
1048508.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote

That is... both true and untrue. Some of the stars we see might have burnt out long ago, and certainly the photage of stars collapsing or burning out we have (we do have some, right?) would be long gone by the time we actually see it, but it's not like the entire universe is in reality completely black and we're just seeing the ghosts of other stars.

Some might have burnt out in the time it takes the light to reach us, but most of them are still there (I think).

alexander
1048529.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote

Yeahhh (sorry that was too American)

That's the spirit..!!!
All I wanted was to point out that our perception of colours is quite misguided as of many things around us.
You know...
Democracy, liberty, feminism, fried potatoes etc.

Anyway, back to colours. If the change of the light source or spectrum can change our perception of an object, I think it is safe(???) to say that it can change our perception of it's form, right?

Thanks mates.
Always keep an open mind...

zomgmouse
1048536.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote

Just because something is intangible or imperceptible or unstable doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Awitt
1048553.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote

It simply means it exists in a form that we may not be able to see or comprehend.

gruff5
1048562.  Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote

the perception by us of white light is interesting. Our brains have evolved so that when all the colours of the spectrum are there, we perceive it as a neutral, non-coloured, light.

Neat trick.

alexander
1048698.  Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote

What of our percepcion of black? Some say it's not a colour (refering to light), but the absence of all colours. Yet, a painter can buy and use black paint on his/her work. That is, he/she can buy a substance that functions as a filter to all light and reflects nothing back.

I always like to question obvious things, that we are used to say they are true by definition. Devil is in the details. If you start with the impossible, you can make impossible facts, possible.

Am I impossible to put up with?

Alfred E Neuman
1048773.  Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote

alexander wrote:
Am I impossible to put up with?

Is that your intention?

alexander
1048815.  Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote

No, of course not.
But questioning solid facts in life could be frustrating for some people, and I have to respect that.
My intention are not always clear to me, but I'm sure that they are honorable.

CharliesDragon
1048816.  Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote

You seem like a bit of a philosopher to me, but you like scientific answers and marvel at how the world isn't like we think it is. I'm the same way at times, so I very much respect that. :)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next