View previous topic | View next topic

Unbelievable

Page 6 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

PDR
1054579.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:02 am Reply with quote

The Royal Navy contingency plan in the event of Scotish independance includes relocating the nuclear submarine base from Faslane to a new dockyard in Glastonbury.

PDR

GuyBarry
1054580.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote

The number originally proposed for the M1 was the A50.

Posital
1054625.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Posital wrote:

(BTW Windows XP is still supported by M$)
Came after mine, sorry...
No need to be sorry - except for the poor people on XP.

Posital
1054627.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote

Only single men use a wankel rotary engine.

bemahan
1054630.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Only single men use a wankel rotary engine.

That's an obvious attempt to get me to join in. Mind you, if I joined in they might not need a wankel.

PDR
1054641.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Based on current plans the Boeing Harrier will be retired after 45 years in squadron service.

PDR

I claim my truth here!

The US Marine corps have just announced a life-extension programme for their Harrier fleet to take them to at least 2030, which will be 45 years from their in-service date (1985).

...and it would be arguably correct to call the USMC fleet "Boeing" Harriers because they are all Harrier IIs developed from the MacDonnell-Douglas AV-8B design, and McD are part of Boeing (with Boeing being the current design authority for the Harrier II).

My proposed new topic:

Political Correctness

I'll start with:

In order to comply with the new rules banning all-male panel shows the QI producers have made gender-reassignment surgery a prerequisite for the renewal of Alan Davis contract

PDR

GuyBarry
1054642.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote

Right, that's three posts without a challenge, so...

Quote:
"With a view to continuing this [the in-place] system, the number A.50 has in fact been reserved in anticipation for the London - Birmingham Motorway, with the idea that it would form a parallel to A.5, and again largely on the clockwise side of it, but we have not equivalent reservations for all the other routes; some would need to go into three figures e.g. A.200, and we run into difficulties where the motorways may be said to radiate from Birmingham rather than London."

Memo from W. Hadfield at the Ministry of Transport, dated 17th April 1958 and quoted at http://pathetic.org.uk/features/numbering/part1/.

Have I won again?

GuyBarry
1054643.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
PDR wrote:
Based on current plans the Boeing Harrier will be retired after 45 years in squadron service.

PDR

I claim my truth here!

The US Marine corps have just announced a life-extension programme for their Harrier fleet to take them to at least 2030, which will be 45 years from their in-service date (1985).

...and it would be arguably correct to call the USMC fleet "Boeing" Harriers because they are all Harrier IIs developed from the MacDonnell-Douglas AV-8B design, and McD are part of Boeing (with Boeing being the current design authority for the Harrier II).

Hang on a minute, you made two posts after your own post. Rule (1) says "Players take it in turns", by which I meant you can't make two consecutive posts. Otherwise everyone would just follow up their own true post with three untrue ones to stop anyone else from challenging.

I think the rules need rewriting to make this clear.

Also you haven't given a reference for your claim as required by rule (4). And it's good manners to wait to see if anyone objects. I should probably write that into the rules as well.

GuyBarry
1054646.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote

The game is temporarily suspended while I rewrite the rules. I'm not entirely sure who won that last round (if anyone did).

GuyBarry
1054650.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote

OK, new rules, clarified, tidied up and (hopefully) with some loopholes removed. Amendments are in boldface.

EDIT: Rule 1 further amended at 10:27 16/02/2014 - amendments in boldface italic.

(1) A subject is chosen for the round. Players take it in turns to post statements on that subject, which should normally be entirely false. However, at any stage a player can post a true or partly true statement instead, which must be independently verifiable. No player may post two consecutive statements in the same round.
(2) If a player believes an earlier statement to be true, then instead of posting another statement he or she can post a challenge, quoting the original post. If possible, this should be confirmed with a link to a reputable source containing the information. All challenges must take place within three posts of the original claim.[*]
(3) If the challenge is confirmed as correct, the challenger wins the round and can choose the subject for the next round. If it is incorrect, the challenger cannot post again in that round.
(4) If three posts go by without a challenge to a true statement, then the poster of the true statement should reveal it to be true by posting a link to a reputable source. (Wikipedia is not itself a reputable source, but players can refer to sources cited within it.)
(5) Unless he/she is the poster of the true statement, the player who chose the subject has the final decision on whether to accept a claim under rule (4). If it is accepted then the poster of the true statement wins the round and chooses the subject for the next round. If the player who chose the subject wishes to claim a win under rule (4), he/she must nominate another player to adjudicate.
(6) (previously (5)) If a player unknowingly posts a truth after another truth has been posted, the earlier truth takes precedence. (E.g. A posts truth, B posts truth, C challenges B, B confirms; A can still claim a win.)
(7) Any statements that do not relate to the subject of the round are not part of the game and cannot be challenged or form the basis of a winning claim.

[*]Sentence moved from rule (4) as it belongs better here.

Last edited by GuyBarry on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Posital
1054663.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote

Bananas are a fruit?

Posital
1054664.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
That's an obvious attempt to get me to join in.
Bah! Rumbled...

GuyBarry
1054667.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote

Let's assume we're still on the "Transport" round and start from scratch.

London's first civilian airport was at Northolt.

Posital
1054687.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote

The tube is scheduled to be extended to Paris in 2034.

tetsabb
1054689.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Cripes - big bem is watching us...

She is not very big!
:-)

Page 6 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next