View previous topic | View next topic

Unbelievable

Page 3 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

GuyBarry
1053858.  Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote

The world's longest-running radio programme is The Archers.

 
zomgmouse
1053894.  Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote

(For the record my giraffe fact was true.)

 
zomgmouse
1053895.  Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
No objections so I'll start off the next round. The subject is broadcasting. To avoid any confusion about whether one can post in one's own category, I'll make the first statement:

The first regular BBC television broadcasts came from Alexandra Palace.

I'd say this is true.

 
GuyBarry
1053905.  Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
(For the record my giraffe fact was true.)


So why didn't you claim a win then? You weren't challenged within three posts, and your fact came before mine.

 
GuyBarry
1053907.  Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:
No objections so I'll start off the next round. The subject is broadcasting. To avoid any confusion about whether one can post in one's own category, I'll make the first statement:

The first regular BBC television broadcasts came from Alexandra Palace.

I'd say this is true.


I'm afraid not. The high-definition TV service from Alexandra Palace started in 1936, but there had been an earlier service using the Baird system from 1932 to 1935, from the basement of Broadcasting House. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/historyofthebbc/resources/tvhistory/baird_bbc.shtml (final paragraph).

So under rule (3) you ought to drop out of this round. However, since you "really" won the last round I'll let you stay in - provided you can give a reference for your giraffe statement.

 
zomgmouse
1053912.  Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:59 am Reply with quote

Both sexes have prominent horn-like structures called ossicones, which are formed from ossified cartilage, covered in skin and fused to the skull at the parietal bones.[24] Being vascularized, the ossicones may have a role in thermoregulation,[29]
(Wikipedia:Giraffe)

 
GuyBarry
1053914.  Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
Both sexes have prominent horn-like structures called ossicones, which are formed from ossified cartilage, covered in skin and fused to the skull at the parietal bones.[24] Being vascularized, the ossicones may have a role in thermoregulation,[29]
(Wikipedia:Giraffe)


If you're going to quote Wikipedia, could you possibly give a link to the original source please? I've found it this time: it's

Mitchell, G.; Skinner, J.D. (2004). "Giraffe thermoregulation: a review". Transactions of the Royal Society of South Africa: Proceedings of a Colloquium on Adaptations in Desert Fauna and Flora 59 (2): 4957.

Abstract at http://www.sabinet.co.za/abstracts/royalsa/royalsa_v59_n2_a13.html

Quote: "Their ossicones are well vascularized and may also function as a thermoregulatory organ."

That "may" is a bit borderline...

I'll let you play on for now, but I won't be so lenient next time!

 
Posital
1054079.  Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote

Salma Hayek starred in the original Colombian version of Ugly Betty (Yo soy Betty la Feia) before producing and appearing in the later English-American version.

 
GuyBarry
1054085.  Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote

Carol Vorderman was the first woman to appear on Channel 4.

 
zomgmouse
1054122.  Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote

Playschool has never had a live animal on the show.

 
GuyBarry
1054163.  Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote

After nearly a year of colour transmissions, ITV went back to broadcasting in black and white.

 
zomgmouse
1054210.  Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
After nearly a year of colour transmissions, ITV went back to broadcasting in black and white.

Well, I don't know how pedantic you want to be with the wording but it's certainly true that there was a "Colour Strike" shortly after the introduction of colour to ITV where technicians refused to broadcast in colour and so ITV were forced to go in black-and-white. So I guess you could say this is true, depending on how you read the wording of your statement.

 
GuyBarry
1054214.  Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote

Yes, it is true. It wasn't their decision, but it's true none the less.

OK, your choice of subject then!

 
zomgmouse
1054377.  Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Well that was certainly an odd turnaround.

Alright, next theme: computers.

The little bumps you get on keyboards are because those particular keys are scared.

 
gruff5
1054392.  Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote

Evidence found on a Norfolk beach of Raquel Welch frolicking in a fur bikini

 

Page 3 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group