View previous topic | View next topic

Unbelievable

Page 9 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

GuyBarry
1056347.  Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote

Rule (1) duly amended as follows. The full rules are still at post 1054650.

(1) A subject is chosen for the round. Players take it in turns to post statements on that subject, which should normally be entirely false. However, at any stage a player can post a true or partly true statement instead, which must be independently verifiable. No player may post two consecutive statements in the same round.

Posital to choose the next subject please.

Posital
1056438.  Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote

Phew! New subject Joan of Arc

Joan of Arc was a bloke and died aged 62 from an infected badger bite.

bemahan
1056450.  Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Joan of Arc's famous 'white armour' was discovered in 1996.

GuyBarry
1056453.  Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote

In the original draft of Tchaikovsky's opera The Maid of Orleans, Joan escapes at the end and goes on to set up a small wool shop.

Posital
1056490.  Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote

Joan attempted to become a starving artist in London before latching on to the whole Holy Vengeful Warrior thing. And had a cat called Susan.

GuyBarry
1056537.  Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:35 am Reply with quote

"Joan of Arc" has been in use as a brand name since the 19th century.

zomgmouse
1056787.  Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote

I actually reckon the entire thing has to be true, because the statement should be true as a whole. It's no good saying "2+2=4, 5, 6 and 7" and passing that off as correct just because one of those answers is true. But that's my opinion.

GuyBarry
1056806.  Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
I actually reckon the entire thing has to be true, because the statement should be true as a whole. It's no good saying "2+2=4, 5, 6 and 7" and passing that off as correct just because one of those answers is true. But that's my opinion.

I think Posital was trying to make the game more like the radio show, where it's common for a true statement to be hidden among a string of falsehoods. But the format of this game is rather different. Maybe the best thing to do is to restrict players to one statement per post, which has to be entirely false or entirely true. I'll clarify the rules again at the end of this round.

(Please note: this post and the last one do not count for the purposes of the game.)

Posital
1057041.  Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote

Oh well - I enjoy writing rubbish (if you hadn't noticed) - writing a single axiom once in a while seems a little dry to me. Half the fun is burying the truth. And unscrambling someone's flurry of statements too.

Posital
1057043.  Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote

Joan was put to death mainly because of her preference for One Direction, eating pickled onions and cross-dressing. She is no longer a Roman Catholic Saint, due to the French never liking her haircut. And her cat spoke with a heavy swiss accent.

bemahan
1057051.  Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote

Hmmm, tricky one. In one respect she was executed for dressing as a man but only really because she had sworn to stop but then went back to crossdressing.
From the Wiki entry for Cross-dressing:
Quote:
The court finally decided to use the charge of cross-dressing against her. On May 24, 1431, Joan was forced to sign a cedula, possibly without understanding what was actually written on it, indicating that she would no longer wear men's clothing.

She resumed wearing men's clothing as she said it reduced the risk of being raped.
Quote:

She was declared "relapsed", giving the court nominal justification to have her executed ("Only those who had relapsed -- that is, those who having once adjured their errors returned to them -- could be condemned to death by a tribunal of the Inquisition and delivered for death.")* On May 30, 1431, Joan of Arc was burned at the stake.

*Pernoud, Régine; Marie Véronique Clin (1998). Joan of Arc. St. Martin's Press. p. 132.

Posital
1057076.  Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote

Absolutely! The floor's yours, Bem...

bemahan
1057086.  Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote

Ooh.
Greek Mythology

Amygdala was the Greek goddess of nuts. According to mythology, she bathed in almond milk which rendered her invisible until the sun set the following day.

GuyBarry
1057143.  Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote

Whoa, stop! I had a prior claim:

GuyBarry wrote:
"Joan of Arc" has been in use as a brand name since the 19th century.

See http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/joanbooklet/joanbooklet.htm (near end of "Case Five" section):

Quote:
Joan of Arc beans, popular in the Midwestern United States since 1879, uses a logo similar to that of Joan of Arc cheese (see above), though less colorful.

Also see the product's own site: http://www.joanofarc.com/about/

Quote:
A quality tradition since 1879, JOAN of ARC offers a wide variety of 10 different types of premium whole beans ranging from chili beans to kidney beans.

If Posital judges this statement to be true, then I win under rule (6) ("If a player unknowingly posts a truth after another truth has been posted, the earlier truth takes precedence").

bemahan
1057183.  Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote

Oh bum.

Page 9 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next