View previous topic | View next topic

Unbelievable

Page 8 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

ConorOberstIsGo
1055871.  Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:22 am Reply with quote

There are 182% as many dentists registered in the US called Dennis than you might expect if first names had no effect on major life decisions such as career.

GuyBarry
1055897.  Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote

ConorOberstIsGo wrote:
There are 182% as many dentists registered in the US called Dennis than you might expect if first names had no effect on major life decisions such as career.

Hang on, we haven't started the new round yet. If my statement is judged true then I get to choose the new subject. If it isn't then we carry on with languages. The rules are in post 1054650.

ConorOberstIsGo
1055905.  Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
The rules are in post 1054650.

Sorry :( I'm new here. Will read. Much sorry. Such shame.

GuyBarry
1055906.  Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote

ConorOberstIsGo wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:
The rules are in post 1054650.

Sorry :( I'm new here. Will read. Much sorry. Such shame.

Don't worry. I only invented the game recently and I still haven't worked out an entirely satisfactory set of rules yet! If you can think of any improvements, let me know.

Posital
1056018.  Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:
The Welsh spelling of the place-name "Llanelli" does not contain the letter L.
I call on Posital to judge - was it a true claim?
True - spanish is similar but it's pronounced similar to y nowadays. I've seen a spanish dictionary that has a ll section.

Sorry for the delay - GB to choose.

GuyBarry
1056186.  Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:

Sorry for the delay - GB to choose.

No problem! Glad the new rules seem to be working. The next subject is classical music.

Schubert's Unfinished Symphony was the last work he wrote.

zomgmouse
1056202.  Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:57 am Reply with quote

Can I post an objection? I feel that even though "ll" and "l" differ phonetically it still contains the letter "l" orthographically. And the statement was about spelling after all. So in that sense it's false.

GuyBarry
1056207.  Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:34 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
Can I post an objection? I feel that even though "ll" and "l" differ phonetically it still contains the letter "l" orthographically. And the statement was about spelling after all. So in that sense it's false.

Well it's really too late to object now, since Posital agreed that my statement was true. However my statement was specifically not about phonetics - it was about orthography. As stated in the three references I gave (and numerous others), the Welsh alphabet contains several letters which are made up of two separate characters (called "digraphs"): CH, DD, FF, NG (which comes after "G" alphabetically), LL, PH, RH and TH. These are not regarded as combinations of two individual letters. The Wikipedia article explains it fairly well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_orthography#Digraphs

Quote:
While the digraphs ch, dd, ff, ng, ll, ph, rh, th are each written with two symbols, they are all considered to be single letters. This means, for example that Llanelli (a town in South Wales) is considered to have only six letters in Welsh, compared to eight letters in English.

As an amusing aside, here's an article about a Welsh-language Scrabble set showing letters like LL, NG, RH on a single tile:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4308262.stm

Posital
1056270.  Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
I also vote for zmouse coz I liked the description of ll as being orthographic.

It's not particularly that they're different phonetically, but ll also has its own entry in the dictionary - which is good enough for me.

Some spanish dictionaries also have rr as a separate letter - but it doesn't have its own heading since no words start with it. But more obviously has its own entry.

But I stand by my original choice - mainly because it's interesting but less because it's correct. Which it is.

So, by the authority invested in me, I stand firm!!

Posital
1056271.  Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote

Sergei Rachmaninoff couldn't play the piano parts for any of his piano concertos, but had to rely on his gay friend - Sochi Putin. He also knew Charlie Chaliapin and died in Beverly Hills. Nobody remembers him.

GuyBarry
1056273.  Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote

J.S. Bach's "48 Preludes and Fugues" were written in 48 different keys.

Posital
1056329.  Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:41 am Reply with quote

Chopin wrote the majority of his piano pieces while hiding in war-torn Poland. The film "The Pianist" is a clever mirror of his life.

zomgmouse
1056333.  Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote

Re the ll, fair enough, I'll fold. That's very interesting!

The Beatles used to eat chickens on stage.

Posital
1056338.  Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote

I think I've smuggled through a fact - Rachmaninoff died in Beverly Hills. But I'm not sure how we deal with a fact within multiple falsehoods.

The show requires people to pick each statement apart - but we've not been doing this to date.

On the chance that the ruling goes agin me:

Jimi Hendrix was actually born in Zanzibar, Tanzania.

GuyBarry
1056342.  Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:12 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
I think I've smuggled through a fact - Rachmaninoff died in Beverly Hills. But I'm not sure how we deal with a fact within multiple falsehoods.

The show requires people to pick each statement apart - but we've not been doing this to date.

Hmm, yes, I'm not sure either! I'm inclined to give it to you on the grounds that you posted a true statement, albeit one disguised by falsehoods. Also I've won three in a row and it's about time someone else had a go :)

I'll give the rules another tweak and then you can choose the next subject.

Page 8 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next