View previous topic | View next topic

Chicken/Egg question

Page 1 of 1

Flash
56213.  Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote

Q: When you have roast chicken, how come you never find an egg inside it?

A: We have no idea; we're asking because we want to know. Or rather, because Luke Fletcher (9) wants to know.

Gray
56249.  Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:04 am Reply with quote

I have a horrid idea that the chickens they sell for eating are hormone controlled, and therefore don't lay eggs. Either that or they have some awful automatic cloaca-sucking device.

Anyway, enjoy dinner.

Flash
56251.  Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:09 am Reply with quote

I think this question has scope, because it suggests the more normal chicken & egg question if they've got anything to say about that, but is an entirely new thought (at least it was to me).

When the 'which came first?' question was raised on the outer boards did anyone say anything interesting, do we remember?

eggshaped
56258.  Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:58 am Reply with quote

Sorry to say Flash, but I think they flush out the insides with a massive jet of water don't they? (having boiled the chicken to make plucking easier). An egg wouldn't have much of a chance.

That said, I think most broiler chickens are killed at quite an early age, 12 weeks according to wiki, other sites broadly agree. How old does a chicken have to be before it starts producing eggs?

Oh, and haven't we done Chicken & Eggs before?

MatC
56266.  Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:27 am Reply with quote

Great question; I trust Luke is getting paid for his labour? If not, he will have my support in any industrial action he is forced reluctantly to undertake.

Flash
56284.  Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:54 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I think they flush out the insides with a massive jet of water don't they? (having boiled the chicken to make plucking easier).

That's townie talk. Round here, Luke plucks his own chickens. 50p a bird - you might call it exploitation (he certainly does, but as I tell him, it's either 50p and supper or no 50p and no supper either).

MatC
56305.  Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:50 am Reply with quote

What, and you get the questions thrown in for free? Has this boy never heard of the theory of surplus value, or what?

Gray
56531.  Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:52 am Reply with quote

I think we should have a regular spot in the show where the guests are asked to bring in a superlative question from a person under 10 years of age. They're bound all to be excellent, simply because we wouldn't have thought of them. We can suplly them all ourselves, of course. I can behave like a 6 year old all day if required.

Eggs, the general answer says, came first: fish and marine reptiles were using them long before birds ever came on the scene.

Page 1 of 1