View previous topic | View next topic

Looking for a definitive answer

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

knightmare
1050923.  Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote

Quote:
People do prefer heavier goods (not just bottles). Something that's relatively light for its size seems shoddy.

I don't agree with that, because there's a missing condition. Milk bottles won't have such a punt, because "milk is milk". I want a light bottle of milk, assuming all bottles are good enough. Women will prefer small, light, powerful computers. If a product has to be cheap, then you don't want heavy packaging. People don't want a heavy bicycle, but people are willing to pay more for a light bicycle.

But it works for wine. It's associated with a better quality of wine indeed, the quality of the wine does matter, and people are willing to pay more for an assumed better quality of wine. The strategy won't work with, for example, bicycles or smartphones.

RLDavies
1052301.  Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote

People want a light bicycle or phone, if they can see it's designed to be smaller or lighter than the current standard while preserving the same function. But there's a limit beyond which the object inspires suspicion. This limit is constantly changing, depending on the technology people are used to at any given time.

That's why I said "relatively" light -- light in relation to other things of the same type and size.

If you pick up a smartphone and it feels considerably lighter than the rest of the slabs-with-screens that look very similar, you're not likely to trust it. "Cheap knockoff", "feels like a toy".

knightmare
1052310.  Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
If you pick up a smartphone and it feels considerably lighter than the rest of the slabs-with-screens that look very similar, you're not likely to trust it. "Cheap knockoff", "feels like a toy".

If you happen to have an old smartphone, then you could try to remove the ("heavy") battery, use an USB cable to provide the power, and try to tell somebody that you obtained another version of your ancient smartphone. It's not a good test, but it's possible that women do prefer the significantly lighter version of the same phone, assuming it's a different phone.

The test will work better (e.g. at the office) when you have 2 identical smartphones. Both USB powered during the test, but one without a battery.

djgordy
1052319.  Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
People do prefer heavier goods (not just bottles). Something that's relatively light for its size seems shoddy.

That's why my new range of hot air balloons is going to be made from granite.

Alfred E Neuman
1052392.  Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:34 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
RLDavies wrote:

That's why my new range of hot air balloons is going to be made from granite.

Because they tried lead in the '60s and '70s?

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2