View previous topic | View next topic

Justice and the size of Alan Davies' ...

Page 1 of 1

Gilbert Mane
1050532.  Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote

My wife and I are QI tragics and watch new episodes (and repeats as we forlornly await the latest ones to find their way Downunder).

While re-watching Justice and its extensive discussion of the various ways of alleging Alan Davies has a small penis without penalty - and seeing a subsequent episode which required sontestants to make up limericks, I was reminded of an incident when (some decades ago) I was at Law School.

We were considering the de minimis rule whereby a party to a contract cannot sue for essentially undetectably small breaches of the agreement - eg contracting to receive 100 tons of wheat and only getting 99.999 tons.

The de minimis rule stated in full is de minimis non curat lex - meaning the law does not take account of trifles. And my law professor at the time illustrated the legal principle with the following limerick:

The was a young law student named Rex
With a remarkably small organ of sex
When charged with exposure
He remarked with composure
De minimis non curat lex.

(Apologies if someone else has already brought this piece of legal reasoning to the QI elves' attention but I have only just joined the forum.)

Jenny
1050688.  Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote

Ha! I hadn't seen that one before. Welcome to the forums Gilbert Mane :-)

Gilbert Mane
1050835.  Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's nice to be aboard.

Now, if I could just remember the episode where Stephen Fry said that only three US Presidents had been assassinated. I assume hundreds of QI fans piled in immediately to correct the error: Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy. It's so rare to hear such an obvious mistake, that it shows how good the research nearly always is. :-)

Efros
1050839.  Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote

Series 4 episode 1. :) Welcome

https://sites.google.com/site/qitranscripts/

suze
1050886.  Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:46 am Reply with quote

Gilbert Mane wrote:
Now, if I could just remember the episode where Stephen Fry said that only three US Presidents had been assassinated. I assume hundreds of QI fans piled in immediately to correct the error: Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, Kennedy.

That point was made to the management, certainly. See for instance post 98582, where it was made by the guy who writes the questions for Only Connect.

However ... I'm gonna defend the show here, and argue that President Garfield was not assassinated. He was shot and wounded, but if he'd chosen to do without medical intervention he probably wouldn't have died. Even as it was he took eleven weeks to die, and there are two major contributory factors quite apart from his gunshot wounds.

Firstly, he had a heart attack a week before he died - ten weeks after he was shot - which cannot be directly attributed to the shooting. And secondly, doctors with ungloved and less than scrupulously clean hands repeatedy poked about at his wounds. At the time, the American medical profession had not taken on board Lister's work in England, and did not fully understand the importance of cleanliness in medical care.

Thirdly, Garfield's doctor, the improbably named Dr Doctor Bliss (in an interesting example of nominative determinism, his first name was Doctor), was a bit of a moron. Dr Bliss accepted an offer from Alexander Graham Bell, who came down on the train from Canada with the world's first metal detector which he had invented especially.

But he did not accept Bell's suggestion that the President be taken out of bed and lain on a table before being subjected to the metal detector. Since the President was in a metal framed bed with metal springs, the metal detector produced erroneous results. It was later shown that Bell's machine worked properly, and given the chance would have correctly identified the bullets as not threatening any major organ.

If you or I were before an American court charged with assassinating the President, common sense would not necessarily be a feature of the trial. But the general feeling is that in an English court, the shooter Charles Guiteau would probably be found not guilty of murder. Guilty of GBH undoubtedly and of manslaughter perhaps, but not of murder.

Gilbert Mane
1051394.  Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Wow. Brilliant. Just goes to show that looking a bit closer reveals the nuances. So, I'm going with 3 1/2 presidents assassinated.

Spud McLaren
1051411.  Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Gilbert Mane wrote:
Wow. Brilliant. Just goes to show that looking a bit closer reveals the nuances. So, I'm going with 3 1/2 presidents assassinated.
No, they didn't manage to kill Reagan either; so you can cross the "half" off your list.

sally carr
1051415.  Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote

And Kennedy died as a result of 'friendly fire' so that doesn't really count either.

Page 1 of 1