View previous topic | View next topic

Colours...

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Awitt
1048553.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote

It simply means it exists in a form that we may not be able to see or comprehend.

gruff5
1048562.  Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote

the perception by us of white light is interesting. Our brains have evolved so that when all the colours of the spectrum are there, we perceive it as a neutral, non-coloured, light.

Neat trick.

alexander
1048698.  Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote

What of our percepcion of black? Some say it's not a colour (refering to light), but the absence of all colours. Yet, a painter can buy and use black paint on his/her work. That is, he/she can buy a substance that functions as a filter to all light and reflects nothing back.

I always like to question obvious things, that we are used to say they are true by definition. Devil is in the details. If you start with the impossible, you can make impossible facts, possible.

Am I impossible to put up with?

Alfred E Neuman
1048773.  Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote

alexander wrote:
Am I impossible to put up with?

Is that your intention?

alexander
1048815.  Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote

No, of course not.
But questioning solid facts in life could be frustrating for some people, and I have to respect that.
My intention are not always clear to me, but I'm sure that they are honorable.

CharliesDragon
1048816.  Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote

You seem like a bit of a philosopher to me, but you like scientific answers and marvel at how the world isn't like we think it is. I'm the same way at times, so I very much respect that. :)

zomgmouse
1048833.  Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote

So we perceive what isn't there - so what? We perceive it, therefore it is there. To us. Hallucinations exist and don't exist at the same time - depending on whom to.

Leith
1048847.  Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
the perception by us of white light is interesting. Our brains have evolved so that when all the colours of the spectrum are there, we perceive it as a neutral, non-coloured, light.

Neat trick.

The nature of colour vision is endlessly fascinating but, if anything, our designation of neutral colours* seems logical to me in a way that our perception of other colours isn't. If our system of vision has evolved to detect differences in light levels between one frequency band and another, then it feels natural that the default 'no information' cases should be those in which each of our different types of colour receptor is equally stimulated or equally unstimulated.

Constrast this with the baffling complexity of attempting to identify physical properties that correspond to an object being perceived as 'red' or 'green' with such remarkable consistency across our species.

* I'm assuming that treating black and white as neutral colours is a universal trait, though I don't know for certain that this is true across all cultures.

gruff5
1048861.  Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
We perceive it, therefore it is there.

Descartes couldn't have put it better!

zomgmouse wrote:
Hallucinations exist and don't exist at the same time - depending on whom to.

Interesting philosophical point. Is the existence of the colour red a mass hallucination by the (non-colour blind) human species?

alexander
1048918.  Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote

[quote="gruff5"]
zomgmouse wrote:
We perceive it, therefore it is there.

Descartes couldn't have put it better!

Does that mean that things we do not perceive are not there? What about zero? Zero is something we have "invented" but I am not sure that we fully understand it.

Or, what about a being without start or end? Do we perceive that? And if we can't perceive the "no start" and "no end" parts, do we admit its existence or we discard it altogether?

Until recently, other than the three known dimensions were out of the question.

GuyBarry
1048933.  Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote

Interesting discussion, but why is it in the "QI Games" section?

zomgmouse
1049035.  Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote

alexander wrote:

Does that mean that things we do not perceive are not there? What about zero? Zero is something we have "invented" but I am not sure that we fully understand it.

We can perceive the absence of something and can categorise it as such. e.g. a hole, or a pit. We can say "there is a hole", but we can say this because a hole is defined by the lack of something.

alexander
1052500.  Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote

Hi guys. I've been away for a while. I actually came to a rather sad conclusion. There is so much misery around me, that I decided to DO something about it rather than exercising cheap philosophy. So, if you have the chance to help someone, just do it. Sacrifice that little spare time you have to HELP someone.

A useful quote.

"As I'm getting older, I stop listening to what people have to say, and start noticing what they actually do".

just a friendly advice.
King regards
Alexander

WordLover
1055001.  Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote

alexander wrote:
No more than, say, two. You can perceive two pens or two knocks on the door, but you can't perceive two.

gruff5
1055029.  Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:12 am Reply with quote

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next