View previous topic | View next topic

Leeds

Page 1 of 1

Squinky
1047152.  Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote

Leeds, aside from being the second-largest city in England (after Birmingham - anyone who says London gets an immediate klaxon), is also noteworthy as the location of the earliest known moving image - taken by Louis Le Prince on Leeds Bridge in 1888.

And to think, I still can't get my phone to take videos in 2014.

Just to put this into context, the city of Leeds has a population comparable to the whole of several counties. As of the 2011 census, Leeds had just over 751 kilopeeps (a word I just invented for "thousand people"). Derbyshire had 770 kilopeeps, Devon 746, Suffolk 728, and Lincolnshire 713 to name but a few. It does not, however, have the highest number of persons per hectare - that dubious honour goes to the London borough of Islington, which has 138.7 compared with Leeds' paltry 13.6.
They must really cram you lot in down south.

AndyE
1047161.  Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:46 am Reply with quote

Squinky wrote:
Leeds, aside from being the second-largest city in England (after Birmingham - anyone who says London gets an immediate klaxon).

If you're construing London as meaning just the City of London, then I accept the presence of that klaxon. Yes, the population of the defined City of Leeds exceeds that of any other English city bar the City of Birmingham.

But this is the problem with comparing cities by population - it comes down to how you define 'city'. Only a small part of what we normally consider as 'London' falls within the City of London, whereas the defined City of Leeds includes places like Otley and Wetherby which most would consider to be separate towns.

Another way to approach the question would be to look at 'Leeds proper', stripping out those outlying towns which form part of Leeds for local government purposes but not really otherwise. Again the definition is to some extent arbitrary, but the easiest way to do this is to define 'Leeds proper' as that area which formed party of the County Borough of Leeds pre 1974.

If we do this, we find that 'Leeds proper' had a population of 474,632 (475 kilopeeps, if you prefer) as of the 2011 census. A substantial city, but behind Liverpool, Bristol, Sheffield and Manchester as well as Birmingham under comparable definitions.

This approach too is open to criticism. For instance, it excludes Roundhay which was not within the County Borough even though most would consider it part of Leeds.

The most meaningful way to look at the question is to consider the 'urban area' i.e. the continuous built up area (for which there exists a formal definition) around the city centre. The urban area corresponds with no local government structure; most of the defined City of Leeds is outside the Leeds urban area while most of the defined City of Bradford is within it.

Even so, the numbers which the census calculates on this basis are perhaps the most meaningful that we have. On this basis, Leeds had a population on census day of 1,778 kilopeeps, fourth in England behind London (9,787), Manchester (2,553) and Birmingham (2,441).

Quote:
That dubious honour goes to the London borough of Islington, which has 138.7 compared with Leeds' paltry 13.6.
They must really cram you lot in down south.

The Greater London area as a whole had a density of 52 people per hectare as of census day, and is almost entirely continuously built up. Most of the major cities have comparable density figures if we use suitable definitions, although yes, density does tend to be higher the nearer you go to London.

suze
1047163.  Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote

Hi Squinky, welcome to the forums!

I think what my husband (for the poster above is he) was trying to say was

"You are in fact entirely right, if we rely on a particular non-intuitive definition, that being the sort of thing that they do on the popular televisual entertainment QI."

Guys, see what I have to share my life with ...

djgordy
1047190.  Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote

Squinky wrote:
Leeds had just over 751 kilopeeps (a word I just invented for "thousand people"). Derbyshire had 770 kilopeeps,

Of course, in Derby it is amost impossible to mention Leeds without someone replying "dirty Leeds"; a reference to the notorious rivalry between Clough (Brian, not Nigel) era Derby County and Revie era Leeds United.

ItsJames00
1242865.  Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote

Leeds is a situated city in West Yorkshire, England. Generally in Yorkshire’s West Riding, the historical backdrop of Leeds can be followed to the fifth century when the name alluded to a lush range of the Kingdom of Elmet. Today, Leeds is positioned as a gamma world city by the World Cities Research Network and is viewed as the social and business heart of the West Yorkshire Urban Area.The city is served by four universities and has the fourth biggest population of students in the nation and has the nation’s fourth biggest urban economy.According to http://ukpopulation2017.com/population-of-leeds-2017.html the Population of Leeds is increasing 7410 people per year and according thios the Population of Leeds is 801,660 in 2017. [/img]

Jenny
1242895.  Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote

Hi ItsJames00 and welcome to the forums :-)

What exactly is a gamma world city? And I didn't know Leeds had four universities - I spent one term at a college in Leeds in 1968 (!) studying information science before dropping out of that course and going to Leicester university to do English and History, which I should have done in the first place if I'd had any sense, so maybe that college is now a university.

suze
1242904.  Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote

As Andy explained upthread, that population of the City of Leeds doesn't really mean a great deal. It's the population of the Municipal Borough and includes a large rural area, mostly located east of Leeds proper. Conversely, quite a lot of suburbia which would generally be considered "part of Leeds" is in fact in the Municipal Borough of Bradford and hence is excluded from that population figure.

Getting to three universities in Leeds is easy. The "obvious" one is the University of Leeds which my stepdaughter attended.

Then there is Leeds Beckett University, formerly Leeds Metropolitan University and before that Leeds Polytechnic. The former City of Leeds College of Education, James Graham College, Leeds College of Art, Leeds College of Commerce, Leeds College of Technology, and Yorkshire College of Education and Home Economics have all been subsumed into this institution.

The third came in 2012 when Leeds Trinity University was awarded university status. It started life as two single sex Catholic institutions for training teachers, as All Saints College and Trinity College, and Education is still a major part of its subject offer. Otherwise, it's pretty much all social sciences, it has no faculty of English or of Mathematics.

I wondered whether Leeds College of Music had university status. Some conservatoires do, but not this one; its degrees are awarded by the University of Hull.

So the fourth must be one of two private universities which have a presence in Leeds. The main focus of the University of Law is professional qualifications for would-be solicitors and barristers who already have degrees, but its Leeds campus does offer an LlB program for entrants at 18. BPP University - an American-owned institution - does also offer undergraduate study in Leeds, and delivers it from the University of Law's premises.

Page 1 of 1