View previous topic | View next topic

The troll returns...

Page 1 of 1

GuyBarry
1316895.  Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote

The "maths dialectics" and "pictorial condition" threads were bad enough, but this one is asking for trouble:

post 1316893

I would call Godwin's law on it, but it seems kind of pointless on the first post of the thread.

Is there a case for banning him? Or should we just not respond and hope he goes away?

Jenny
1316908.  Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote

I don't want to delete or ban, but I have asked him to justify the post since the source was clearly trolling.

GuyBarry
1316933.  Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:49 am Reply with quote

I think it was a mistake to respond at all, Jenny, but it's up to you. From previous experience it's clear to me that pstotto should not be encouraged in any way. I would urge other members of the forum not to get involved in the thread since it's clearly not going anywhere.

EDIT: Clearly I spoke too soon...

PDR
1316944.  Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:21 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
I would urge other members of the forum not to get involved in the thread since it's clearly not going anywhere.

Again, could members of the forum possibly be left to make their own decisions rather than being constantly told what to do by you, Guy?

PDR

GuyBarry
1316946.  Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:42 am Reply with quote

If you want to encourage him, by all means encourage him. I personally think that the best thing to do with these people is not to respond to them, and that means a united front.

If people keep responding to pstotto he will simply keep coming back again and again and again. Trying to reason with him is pointless. He just keeps repeating the same drivel over and over again, apparently oblivious to the fact that everyone else thinks he's talking rubbish.

However, you are of course free to make your own decision and not take any notice of what I say.

crissdee
1316955.  Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:02 am Reply with quote

In fairness, what harm is he doing? If you don't want to try and engage with him, skip his posts.

GuyBarry
1316957.  Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:18 am Reply with quote

I've no intention of taking part in that thread, but it already looks to me as though it could easily turn nasty. I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt the last couple of times but when he started talking about Nazis in the current political context a lot of alarm bells started ringing.

Jenny
1316959.  Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote

Well of course, and we'll see how it goes, but my general approach is that one should allow plenty of rope for people to hang themselves with, so that if a decision to ban on account of conduct is taken few people are going to argue with it (I'm not going to say nobody because there's always somebody...)

And again, I am not happy about banning somebody simply because I don't like the opinions they espouse.

GuyBarry
1316963.  Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:38 am Reply with quote

OK, well you're in charge!

Jenny
1316966.  Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote

I'm basically going to ignore that thread on account of not wishing to feed the troll. We'll see how it goes.

PDR
1316968.  Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
...few people are going to argue with it (I'm not going to say nobody because there's always somebody...)

No there isn't!

:0)

PDR

Alfred E Neuman
1316970.  Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
And again, I am not happy about banning somebody simply because I don't like the opinions they espouse.

Thatís assuming you can work out what opinion he is attempting to espouse, not an insignificant task in his case.

Jenny
1317124.  Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote

Good point.

Page 1 of 1