View previous topic | View next topic

Transphobia

Page 1 of 1

Barbara-B
972824.  Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote

Just catching up on Dave with an I episode I missed first time around. It opened with Pakistan's use of Transgender tax inspectors and I was deeply shocked and somewhat hurt by the transphobic comments of the panellists and Mr Fry the like of which I've not heard since the 1960s. Their equating the transgendered with drag queens and camp homosexuals was deeply deeply offensive to the transgendered and their allies and showed a fundamental ignorance of the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity. Perpetuating negative stereotypes is irresponsible and would not be tolerated if it was Race, Gender, or Sexuality.

I expected better from QI and am very saddened to realise just how bigoted and hateful this show really is.

'yorz
972850.  Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote

I haven't seen this episode.
Anybody cares to comment?

AlmondFacialBar
972853.  Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote

I enjoyed that episode and to me it seemed rather like they were laughing about the outdated attitudes that make such a strategy feasible.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

'yorz
972855.  Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Offense is often in the ear of the listener, not in the mouth of the speaker.

CB27
972857.  Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Whoa, that's a very strong statement to make, and I think there's either a misunderstanding of humour or lack of.

The bit in question can be seen here: http://youtu.be/Wm174EquYLc?t=1m48s

Most of the jokes made are about the possible reactions of people to being confronted by transgender people in a very conservative society. There are some caricature joke about the stereotype people have of drag queens, but not in a derogatory way, and certainly not in a hateful way.

Humour is mostly about observation and caricature, and as long as it's not derogatory or inciting hatred then it's up to your own personal taste and sensibility whether you enjoy it or not.

Many episodes of Qi and other popular shows make observational jokes on many groups of people, and you haven't expressed outrage at them, yet this time you have a very strong reaction to it, can that not be claimed to be selective bigotry because you're offended for some groups, but not others?

mis
1044492.  Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote

I'm transgendered, and TBH, I had no issues at all with it, but thank you for the concern..

Regards,

Michelle

CharliesDragon
1044494.  Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote

I can spot two jokes, the first by Alan and the last by Dara, that might be "confusing" trans* people with camp gays and/or drag-queens, but I wouldn't say they're very harmful. And as for the first one by Alan, it looks like Stephen wants to tell him off and make it perfectly clear what trans* people are, but he forces a laugh instead. (Or he could be having a bad day and not being up for laughing a lot anyway.)

Rasmus
1049262.  Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote

I did notice it, but I was not offended. Just disappointed. It was like watching a group of old men sending a fax, calling telegraphy old-fashioned.

This is what I heard: “Ha ha! Pakistan uses transgender poofs and faggots, because they have not evolved to be as multicultured and tolerant as us übermensch!”

I shrugged. It's sad. I am an anglophile, but this seem to be a recurring theme in British culture; instead of looking at our own faults, let's blame someone who's worse.

Page 1 of 1