Goto page 1, 2  Next

CB27
1045375.  Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote

Bolingbroke wrote:
Veruca Ricketts (born 1862)

That's just taking the piss now :)

crissdee
1048186.  Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic, but this started me thinking and I remembered a girl in primary school who had a name which has so far proved unique inmy experience. Her name was Roswitha. I have a vague memory(it was 40+ years ago!) that she was of Swiss descent. Has anyone else ever encountered the name?

suze
1048193.  Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote

It's a female given name that there is in the German-speaking world, yes. There was an early German dramatist who is known to us only as Roswitha.

You've now got husband and me thinking about unique given names. I've taught a few people with bizarre spellings of perfectly normal names, but I can't think of many really odd names. (Or rather, I can think of a few from my youth, but in most cases their owners were of First Nations heritage and the names made perfect sense in their own cultures.)

Otherwise, there was a white girl called Cheyenne when I was in junior high. That would stick out a mile in England, but it's actually not all that unusual in NAm.

Husband recalls a Heathcliff from junior school. Clearly named after the character from Wuthering Heights, but why anyone would choose to name their kid after him is unclear.

There was also the splendidly named Tyreson Truelove. Husband thinks that the kid's father too was called Tyreson Truelove, so it undoubtedly made sense within the family.

knightmare
1048214.  Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote

Yo Willy (m/f),

Quote:
You've now got husband and me thinking about unique given names. I've taught a few people with bizarre spellings of perfectly normal names, but I can't think of many really odd names.

Not using the internet to find silly names, I think I know a female "William", "Willem",Willy (male/female) or Willie, in the Netherlands. Her name is Willem-Mina, if I'm right, locally pronounced like the name of a former queen, Wilhelmina, with a French silent h: ("wi-lem-mina"). She has a Willem (m) and a Mina (f) in the family, hence the combination. It's not an error, and it works.

As far as I know the Dutch king, Willem-Alexander, is also known as Willy, but that's a silly TV joke. He wants to comfort nervous people by not forcing the use of a specific name, he said you can use any (reasonable) name, and he did say that you can find William number IV next to a cow in a field. This Willy from The Hague talks like some Johnny from Cockney.

CharliesDragon
1048279.  Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote

In Sweden there's Vilhelmina and Dorotea Municipality, both named after Queen Frederika Dorothea Wilhelmina.

knightmare
1048287.  Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote

Same there. 19th century, so it's an older Wilhelmina than my WWII-one. Wilhelminadorp (a small town), Wilhelminaoord (a small town, again). 20th century, I assume it's the right Wilhelmina this time: Wilhelminakanaal (a canal, so less meaningful than a town).

As far as I can tell the last Dutch town named after their royalty is Anna Paulowna (19th century). The last town/city named after a person, a civil engineer, will be Lelystad (20th century).

WordLover
1048318.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
It's a female given name that there is in the German-speaking world, yes. There was an early German dramatist who is known to us only as Roswitha.

You've now got husband and me thinking about unique given names. I've taught a few people with bizarre spellings of perfectly normal names, but I can't think of many really odd names.
Richmal? Rider? Rudyard?

knightmare
1048334.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a female given name that there is in the German-speaking world, yes.

I can't think of many really odd names.

Are really odd, native names allowed by EU governments? Anyway, people could submit existing silly names to a popular radio programme. They received about 4,000 James Bond'ish names, like (made up by me) Manny Germsch or Lotta Lof.

I think the opposite is more likely. S.U.S.E. can become the name of a new disease.

Actually my last name can be used as a part of a silly sentence in another language, and there's this number 8's name in French (I'm glad I'm not a surgeon):

swot
1048342.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote

Would that be the same root as 'cuckold'?

suze
1048471.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote

WordLover wrote:
Richmal? Rider? Rudyard?

I was thinking of people I've actually met, and I haven't actually met anyone with those names. But for sure, all three are decidedly uncommon.

There are media references to one Richmal Oates-Whitehead, a rather disturbed woman from New Zealand who committed suicide after it emerged that she had committed a fraud (holding herself out as a medical doctor when not one). So the writer of the Just William books is not unique in her given name.

As far as I can tell, the author of King Solomon's Mines had a double-barreled surname with no hyphen, and Rider should be seen as part of his surname rather than as a forename. His father was known as William Rider Haggard and his son as Jack Rider Haggard.

Conan Doyle made himself similar. His father was Charles Doyle, and when Conan Doyle was knighted he was gazetted as Doyle, Arthur Ignatius Conan - but he used Conan Doyle as his surname for most of his life, and so did his second wife and the children of his second marriage.

Rudyard is certainly a very uncommon given name, although there's a Canadian entrepreneur called Rudyard Griffiths.

suze
1048472.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote

swot wrote:
Would that be the same root as 'cuckold'?

Yes.

The English cuckold, the French cocu, and equivalents in other languages all come from the Old French cucuault = a cuckoo. Lady cuckoos were believed to be rather promiscuous, and to present themselves in the nest of a gentleman cuckoo and demand that the gentleman cuckoo made eggs with them.

swot
1048474.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Whooo I learned something in an English lit class 10 years ago.

Dix
1048486.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote

knightmare wrote:

Are really odd, native names allowed by EU governments?

AFAIK, the approval of names is (still) not an EU matter.

A Danish couple named their son Christophpher (usual spelling is often Kristoffer or Christoffer). It's certainy unique. It took a 9-year legal battle to get it approved.

'yorz
1048487.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote

My first name wasn't allowed at birth. My dad, who had come up with the name, pleaded but the Little Hitler at the Register Office said, "Nope", as he had never heard of it, but suggested my first name be split in two, accepting the two perfectly normal names. Many years later I finally had both names officially joined. Pity that some dickhead clerk managed to lose the accent aigu on the first 'a', so it had to be corrected again.

nitwit02
1048545.  Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Rudyard is certainly a very uncommon given name, although there's a Canadian entrepreneur called Rudyard Griffiths.

Indeed there is. In fact, he often subs for the awful Kevin O'Leary on CBC TV's "Lang & O'Leary Report". He was on tonight. Seems a nice guy - but anyone would after O'Leary .....

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next