View previous topic | View next topic

Leeches?

Page 1 of 1

bemahan
1041333.  Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote

When I take the puppy out for a wee at night, I see the occasional small black slug in her run. I usually pick them up with the pooper-scooper and chuck them in the flowerbed. Tonight when I went to do the same, it sort of sprang back and completely disappeared in our shortish grass, almost as if it had sprung back into a hole in the lawn. So presumably not a slug. Definitely not an earthworm. The only other thing I can think is that they are leeches, but we don't have a pond and I don't think our neighbours do either.
Is there something else it might be, or do leeches live outside of water for periods of time?

Posital
1041358.  Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote

Could it be a Leopard Slug (Limax maximus) quickly blending into the background?

Usually found near scotland...

bemahan
1041379.  Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:35 am Reply with quote

Don't think so. These are black, not at all near Scotland, and they definitely 'snap' back into the ground.

suze
1041387.  Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote

Could it be the horse leech (Haemopis sanguisaga)?

This species can live outside water, and when living in soil it feeds from earthworms; it is unable to draw blood from mammals.

It is common throughout the UK. Not black though so much as bottle green, but under torchlight you might not notice the difference.

CharliesDragon
1041476.  Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, horse leeches would fit the description. I didn't know they could live out of water, though, so I didn't suggest it.

Sparkyweasel
1041619.  Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote

Or maybe a Land Leech, genus Trocheta.

Page 1 of 1