Goto page 1, 2  Next

samivel
55052.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:42 am Reply with quote

or 'going'

mckeonj
55182.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote

Quaintly Ignorant wrote:
Why doesn't 'doing' rhyme with 'boing'?

Because there isn't a verb to bo: mid you, there should be.

monkbarns
55299.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote

There is. OED lists the verb bo as meaning 'to cry "bo"; hence, to shout'. They have the grace to admit it's 'rare'.

eggshaped
55308.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote

Proper Bo, I tell the'

The word for a word such as "doings" is a Cadigan.

(although "placeholder" works just as well)

djgordy
55309.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote

monkbarns wrote:
There is. OED lists the verb bo as meaning 'to cry "bo"; hence, to shout'. They have the grace to admit it's 'rare'.

Re-e-wind when the crowd say bo selecta
Re-e-e-e-e-e-wind when the crowd say bo selecta-ta
Re-e-wind when the crowd say bo selecta
Re-e-e-e-e-e-wind when the crowd say bo, bo, bo
Re-e-wind When the crowd say bo selecta
Re-e-e-e-e-wind whent he crowd say bo selecta-ta
Re-re-e-wind when the crowd say bo selecta Re-e-e-e-e-e-wind
This goes out to all the DJs

Craig David - Rewind

eggshaped
55310.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote

Artful Dodger ft Craig David.

[/pedant]

Tigerman
55320.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote

I know I'm not as young as I used to be, and not as up on all of the "trendy" pop scene as I perhaps should be, but.......can anyone explain what in Kylie's name Mr Craig David is actually banging on about in that song??

I have been to loads of live music and DJ events over the years, and never at any of them have the crowd collectively said the word, "Bo".

And in any case even if they did, I think I would be struggling to be able to " Selecta" back at them.............

djgordy
55321.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote

Tigerman wrote:
I know I'm not as young as I used to be, and not as up on all of the "trendy" pop scene as I perhaps should be, but.......can anyone explain what in Kylie's name Mr Craig David is actually banging on about in that song??

I have been to loads of live music and DJ events over the years, and never at any of them have the crowd collectively said the word, "Bo".

And in any case even if they did, I think I would be struggling to be able to " Selecta" back at them.............

The term "selecta" originates with Jamaican soundsystems. There were generally three people involved in the playing of the music. The first was the 'selecta' who actually chose which records to play. The second was the DJ who played the records, The third was the MC who 'chatted' or 'toasted' over the records in order to get the crowd going.

Rewind is what happens when the DJ puts the record on and plays the intro, the intro goes down so well that the DJ rewinds the record to the beginning in order to play the it again.

Shouting 'bo' has been commonplace at soundsystems for years.

So, the song is saying:

"I say, this is a jolly good record. Let us shout out our approval to the chappie with the good taste to choose such a fine musical platter. May we hear the excellent introduction one more time in order that we may savour it's mellifluousness"?

Quaintly Ignorant
55364.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:

"I say, this is a jolly good record. Let us shout out our approval to the chappie with the good taste to choose such a fine musical platter. May we hear the excellent introduction one more time in order that we may savour it's mellifluousness"?

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it but with the charts the way they are these days it is likely to reach number one, I should warrant.

samivel
55369.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:

How ironic, then, that it should be a Craig David song. Scummer.

Tigerman
55397.  Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote

Well that straightens that one out!

I had some very weird visions of the youth of today playing the babies game where the adult says," Bee.....Bo!" to the childs obvious delight. (At least we did round these parts)

Now I think about it, it would bring some very lovely and peaceful images of Jamaican nightclubs; all of them playing peek-a-boo with the DJ..........

gerontius grumpus
55404.  Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote

Now there's an interesting variant, it was Peep O in my family and in Northern Ireland It's Cuckoo.
Anybody know any more variations on the theme?

tetsabb
55461.  Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I say, this is a jolly good record. Let us shout out our approval to the chappie with the good taste to choose such a fine musical platter. May we hear the excellent introduction one more time in order that we may savour it's mellifluousness"?

Reminiscent of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore doing 'Mama's got a brand new bag'
(In Brian Sewell type voice) 'The mother has gorn orff into the seething Harlem market and bought herself a new bag'
and so on....

monkbarns
55464.  Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Peter Cook and Dudley Moore doing 'Mama's got a brand new bag'

...In which our Dud was playing the part of Bo Dudley!

Don't pay this any heed, I'm just limbering up for a game of Qing Qong.

gerontius grumpus
55466.  Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote

"We're gonna groove it tonight".

"Yes, I understand they intend to decorate the bag with some sort of embossing implement".

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next