View previous topic | View next topic

Series K - Keeps

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CharliesDragon
1035126.  Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Just why the hell would they do that when the XL versions usually air the Sunday after the normal ones? Are they purposely shooting themselves in the knees?

Janet H
1035127.  Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote

[/quote]

The XL edition of "Keeps" is on 23rd November on BBC Two at 20.25.[/quote]

Ta!

AlmondFacialBar
1035154.  Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
chrisboote wrote:
Right after the Doctor Who 50th?

No - they're on at the same time. "The Day of the Doctor" is on BBC One between 19.50 and 21.05.

So who exactly forgot to tell Auntie about the 90% overlap between the target audiences? Python... Penguins... BBC programme planners...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Zebra57
1035252.  Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote

The BBC Sports Quiz "A Question of Sport" has led a nomadic existence from 7-30 pm to gone 11pm on any night of the week. In comparison QI XL has not suffered as much.

Another trick of the BBC is to show a drama series at a set time each week and change the time and/or day of the final programme.

The BBC does seem to treat some programmes as targets to reschedule while others have their times set on tablets of stone.

chrisboote
1035259.  Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:05 am Reply with quote

As Angus Deayton used to say at the beginning of every recording of HIGNFY, "This programme will be broadcast on Thursday evening at 9pm on BBC1, and repeated on Friday at 10pm on BBC2. Or 11.30. Or on BBC1 at 11. Or on Saturday. Or Sunday. You know, in case anyone would actually try to watch it"

djgordy
1035261.  Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:20 am Reply with quote

Now we have iPlayer and various catch up services, scheduling is a lot less relevant than it used to be.

CharliesDragon
1035325.  Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote

It still sucks when you expect to get the XL version and don't. I try to not watch the regular version and wait until the XL, since there's a fair bit of overlap and it becomes boring watching it just a few days apart. I almost always give in and watch the normal version anyway because I can't wait for more QI...

suze
1035347.  Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Now we have iPlayer and various catch up services, scheduling is a lot less relevant than it used to be.

Indeed, who actually watches shows when they are on any more?

Except for the BBC 6.00 News, we almost never do. If the show we want to watch is on a non-BBC channel, we don't usually watch it until it's finished because the ad breaks seem to get longer by the day.

Even on the BBC, nothing starts on time (yes, I know this used to be a pet bobwilson complaint ...) and every show is preceded by three minutes of what the BBC insists is not advertising. So when QI is on at 10.00, we usually start watching it about quarter past.

Spud McLaren
1035501.  Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:27 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
[...]who actually watches shows when they are on any more?
Me.

Except, of course, if it's a BBC show, because then I switch on to find that it's been rescheduled.

AlmondFacialBar
1035507.  Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:50 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
suze wrote:
[...]who actually watches shows when they are on any more?
Me.

Except, of course, if it's a BBC show, because then I switch on to find that it's been rescheduled.

And me... Being outside the UK, iPlayer is not an option for me, and, furthermore, BBC 2 Northern Ireland quite frequently omits QI XL from the schedule altogether, and that's the one in my paid Sky feed. Hence I can't record it on my Sky Box and am therefore dependent on watching it on my upstairs box that hasn't got a viewing card and therefore gets the English feed, but won't let me record either. Hence I'm one of those weirdoes who indeed watch programmes when they're actually scheduled.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

djgordy
1035593.  Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
my upstairs box

I'm sayin' nothin'............

pmailkeey
1035693.  Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote

Long time, not been here...

djgordy wrote:

'TV' is a lot less relevant than it used to be. (that's that box that used to be in the corner of the room for those that don't remember them)

Mum's in bed watching BBC1 on the laptop and I've just watched last week's QI.

The same day TalkTalk asked me if I want to upgrade my service to include 'TV' for no extra cost - What for ? I've a 17M feed here.

pmailkeey
1035697.  Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote

Where do corrections belong ?

Re keep still or scarper - advice re cows was to scarper. I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. Cows will chase catch and trample you. Cows have a problem - they're both timid and curious - so oddly, they'll come towards you and are easily frightened. Waving of arms is usually enough to put them off following you but main thing is to be aware they scare easily - and usually all they want to do is come and sniff you as they're neither meat-eaters or naturally aggressive - unless they feel under threat.

The following seems to back up my 'no run' experience:
http://survival.about.com/od/8/a/How-To-Survive-An-Aggressive-Cow-Attack.htm

And leads me to believe the QI advice on cows was wrong.

suze
1035707.  Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote

pmailkeey wrote:
Where do corrections belong ?

Here.

We can't guarantee that the Elf responsible for the question will see your post and will then either defend himself or admit defeat. But that's the theory, and we try!

RLDavies
1035760.  Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Being outside the UK, iPlayer is not an option for me

There are ways around that. Expat Shield springs immediately to mind.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next