View previous topic | View next topic

QI "facts" no longer : Ouija board

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

snipesearch
1201733.  Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote

clack wrote:
In the G series episode 3, "Games", Stephen stated that :

1) Ouija was not invented as a means to contact the dead. Wrong, it was based on a famous spiritualists' board, meant to be a means to contact the dead.

2) The word "Ouija" may be a combination of the French and German words for "yes". Wrong, the manufacturers of the board game asked the board itself what to name it, and it spelled out "Ouija". When they asked the board what the word meant, it spelled out "Good Luck".

All this and more contained within this Smithsonian article : http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/The-Strange-and-Mysterious-History-of-the-Ouija-Board-229532101.html#ouija-board-planchette-gallery.png

What you have done here is cited the nonsense they were disproving in the episode. A transcription here shows the board was not patented as a spiritual or death communication board but as a novelty for amusement purposes See transcription of patent.

https://www.google.com/patents/US446054

Then in 1920 it was rebranded the Ouiji Board in a commercial rebranding of the product with modifications to design. See patent Transcript.

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US1400791

In the second patent they specifically state that it allows you to communicate with your own subconscious. The origin and History of the Board are well documented and the Smithsonian article you cited is nonsense that defies the original creators own documents when patenting creating and trademarking. Of course the People at QI knew this when they made the episode which is why they focused on what it was, not what people have been convinced it it.

Jenny
1201796.  Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, snipesearch :-)

PDR
1201799.  Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote

Was a Ouija board used to communicate with the long-interred resting remains of this thread?

PDR

Last edited by PDR on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total

snipesearch
1201800.  Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote

No it was monopoly ;) I happened to be doing some research on the origin of the board and the thread came up. QI pride themselves in trying to find the truth behind rumours and misconceptions. Sometimes they get it wrong. But here we had a post on a topic they had got right which happened to contain only links saying they got it wrong. Like QI I felt the need to offer corrections.

PDR
1201801.  Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote

Hey, no worries and welcome to the forum!

I just couldn't let the opportunity for that joke pass me by.

PDR

'yorz
1201816.  Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote

I am amazed at the amount of spelling errors in especially the second patent.

I've done several Ouija sessions in my yoof. The self-moving pointer truly baffled me; I certainly didn't make it move. And the often unfamiliar characters that appeared from the Unknown, I couldn't have made up unless perhaps under the influence of very powerful mushrooms.
Most entertaining indeed.

snipesearch
1205338.  Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote

The spelling errors are the result of digital software misinterpreting peoples hand writing these things were scanned and digitised in mass. You can always call for a copy of the original if it wavers your confidence in the scan.

But this is the history and origin of the device. The answers came from your subconscious nothing more. You were not making them up, nor were they coming from the unknown, you simply were not consciously aware that the answers were coming from you. its also not self-moving, if it were it would not require you to touch it, its just that the device is so light and smooth it feels as if your not responsible for the move. But you are. Ive played the game. But there is no mystic or magic, only what you convince yourself i happening.

Thats the whole point, think of it like a form of meditation allowing you to hear the thoughts you conceal from yourself.

Paul-R
1255574.  Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote

No idea which version is correct, but I would not immediately assume that people who developed it and made a lot of money out of it would necessarily be telling the truth. The idea of marketing is that you say what will sell the most units, not what is true. I have written several biographies for authors in order to sell their books, most vary from "contains a few lies" to "total bollocks".

Also someone used the patent as proof. Again don't believe that. If you create something based on something else, you are unlikely to get a patent if you are honest. Best to say that you created it and hope no one catches you out on the lie.

Paul-R
1255575.  Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote

Whoops, just realized this thread was dragged up from the dead, and I'm arguing with something someone posted last year. Sorry. I'd like to say I'll be more careful in future, but I am a fully qualified idiot (with certificates and everything) so I'll probably make the same mistake again many times in the future.

monzac
1255606.  Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote

Don't worry. There's a lot of it about.

dr.bob
1255915.  Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote

Paul-R wrote:
Whoops, just realized this thread was dragged up from the dead, and I'm arguing with something someone posted last year.

Absolutely no problem with that. Thread necromancy is a perfectly valid hobby, particularly when there's something sufficiently interesting to add to the discussion.

Alfred E Neuman
1255921.  Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Thread necromancy is a perfectly valid hobby, particularly when there's something sufficiently interesting to add to the discussion.

My personal preference for wording is “...only when there’s something sufficiently interesting...”.

But feel free to ignore me, I’m just a grumpy old fart.

dr.bob
1255941.  Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote

I guess it depends. I sometimes quite enjoy reading old threads again if they're interesting enough.

There is also, of course, nothing wrong with being a grumpy old fart :)

Alfred E Neuman
1255963.  Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
I guess it depends. I sometimes quite enjoy reading old threads again if they're interesting enough.

Every now and then I’ll see a post and think “That guy’s nailed it!”, and then I’ll see it was me. More frequently though I think “Hell, I could have said that better.” :-)

GuyBarry
1258841.  Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote

snipesearch wrote:

What you have done here is cited the nonsense they were disproving in the episode. A transcription here shows the board was not patented as a spiritual or death communication board but as a novelty for amusement purposes See transcription of patent.

https://www.google.com/patents/US446054

Then in 1920 it was rebranded the Ouiji Board in a commercial rebranding of the product with modifications to design. See patent Transcript.

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US1400791

But it wasn't rebranded. It was referred to as the "Ouija or Egyptian luck-board" in the first of the two patents referred to above. The second one refers to "the ouija board, as is well known".

It was certainly never called the "Ouiji Board". That may or may not be a typo, but it was the name by which I often heard it referred to when I was growing up in the 1970s. In fact it was such a common error I'm surprised it hasn't turned up on one of those "Mandela effect" websites.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next