View previous topic | View next topic

K Series Newbies

Page 1 of 1

vantheman
1044333.  Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote

Before I begin this post, I'd suggest that every panelist deserves a second attempt, just because of a potentially anomalous performance the first time. However, now that we've had so many new people take their seats....

Well Done, Please Come Back

Sara Pascoe, Brendan O'Carroll and Richard Osman seem the most auspicious. They all did well in offering entertainment and information.

Please, Not Again

Janet Street-Porter was better here than she usually is, but she was still dead weight. I'd not be in a hurry to invite Katherine Ryan, Josh Widdecombe, Tim Minchin, Colin Lane or Isy Suttie back again. But, FFS, never have JSP back ever: she's a putrid scent to an otherwise pleasant enviroment. Egad.

Maybe....

Trevor Noah, Graham Linehan, Noel Fielding and Victoria Wood seem likely to improve with subsequent appearances, even though Trevor's given to passing off "information" learned from movies as truth.

Odd Disappearances

The show needs Dara and Clive back, BADLY. The show can fill losing Sean Lock, Rob Brydon and Rich Hall, but Dara and Clive fit the "attitude" of the show. Their presences are missed. I'd also make arguments for Andy Hamilton, John Sessions, Vic Reeves and Arfur Smith.

Good Job 2x Time

Nods to Victoria Coren, Rev. Coles and Jack Whitehall. I suspect Susan Calman will fall into this category, too. They all fit well into the QI environment.

Second Time Improvements

Marcus Brigstocke did really well this time and he deserves a return. He's rather proof of my preamble. He shone this series and he demonstrates that nerves and circumstance can affect a first performance.

CharliesDragon
1044336.  Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote

Yes, more Dara! And Clive and Andy! John Sessions is also a gem in his own way, but I think he should be used sparingly.

tetsabb
1044363.  Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:29 am Reply with quote

I think I agree with pretty much all of that. Rev Richard Coles is, possibly, in danger of emphasising his own links to famous-ish people, a bit like Gyles Brandreth does.
And I think all regular forummers are aware of my views on the divine, intelligent, witty, charming and pretty Mrs Coren-Mitchell; can't stand the woman.

djgordy
1044379.  Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:17 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
I think I agree with pretty much all of that. Rev Richard Coles is, possibly, in danger of emphasising his own links to famous-ish people,

"....so, I was round at God's house the other day and she said....."

vantheman
1044491.  Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
I think I agree with pretty much all of that. Rev Richard Coles is, possibly, in danger of emphasising his own links to famous-ish people, a bit like Gyles Brandreth does.

That's not a problem: the "Luvvie Alarm" has been quiet for much too long and the Rev would probably appreciate being called out on his name-dropping.

knightmare
1044582.  Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Mrs Coren-Mitchell; can't stand the woman.

Do you like Sarah Millican (scale 0-10)?

zomgmouse
1044715.  Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote

I liked Colin Lane on this. Though I could be place-of-origin biased. And I really dislike/d Jack Whitehall.

Another category you might consider is "Positive Increased Appearances", which I'd give to Sandi Toksvig, who is quickly becoming a favourite panellist.

Page 1 of 1