View previous topic | View next topic

Kea

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Zebra57
1100954.  Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
That alright CB27. Is it weird that when I read your post I heard bells and sirens in my head?

Slightly off topic - If anyone is interested in birds and wants to find out about another amazing (but now extinct) bird from New Zealand, search Haast's Eagle. In a way, you have to ask yourself, how did this bird die out and the Kakapo and Kiwi survive.

Its main prey was the Giant Moa which were slaughtered in their thousands by the Maori. Giant Moa extinct = Haast's Eagle extinct.

Peeeeeteeeee
1101113.  Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote

Thats right Zebra57. You get a few points for that!

There has also been some evidence found, that they had killed humans. Not for food, probably in defense of a nest or hunting area.

There are also a few Maori legends that are most likely to be based on these eagles.

Peeeeeteeeee
1124373.  Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote

An interesting little story for you about a local Kea:

There is a sort of famous Kea at the Hamilton Zoo (New Zealand) named Charlie. Was hand raised in Wellington, has an amazing personality and even has a book written about him. Cheeky Charlie.

At the end of 2014 (from memory) he got an infection in his eye. This was dealt with well by his keeper (and friend) and with regular medical attention which I believe involved antibiotic injections it has cleared up well. During this time he got a lot of extra attention (even though he did not particularly like injections).

Since this he has regularly been pretending to have an eye infection by partly closing, what was the infected eye, and looking sick to people watching him, hoping this will get him more personal attention from his keepers (and friends). He also plays sick by lying down and sort of acting like he is dying. He has made worried zoo visitors get the attention of zoo workers. If you look closely you can see one eye slightly open. There is now a notice for zoo workers with this information so they all know what he is up to.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2