View previous topic | View next topic

Darts

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

eggshaped
55223.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote

Sid Waddell sang the theme tune to BBC kids show Jossie's Giants.

(though I accept this jaw-smacking factoid is only interesting to people my age +/- 1 year)

Flash
55231.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote

Incidentally, I think the figure about the number of possible ways of arranging the numbers on the board also means that if you had 19 friends who came to dinner regularly you could have 2,432,902,008,176,640,000 parties before you had to repeat the same seating plan.

MatC
55233.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote

Like almost everyone connected with the Sky Tv darts set up, tedious Sid always strikes me as what you would find staring at you if you looked up the word "bitter" in a dictionary. Never mind "denial" - he, to quote a related bit of American shrink nonsense, should "just let it go, man! Move on!"

I've emailed the BDO's PR man for a booze ban date shock ruling.

eggshaped
55237.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote

According to the WADA (world anti-doping agency) alcohol is prohibited in competition for the following sports:

Aeronautics
Archery
Automobile
Billiards
Boules
Karate
Modern Pentathlon
Motorcycling
Skiing.

http://www.nzsda.co.nz/pdfs/wada_code_feature.pdf

Flash
55247.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote

I can't figure out from that whether it follows that it's allowed in other sports. I guess not, because darts isn't on the list.

eggshaped
55257.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have said. Dart's isn't officially a sport is it? I'm pretty sure it is still officially classified as a game.

MatC
55258.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote

No, it's now a sport - as of a few months ago. (In the UK, that is -many other countries sportified it long ago).

eggshaped
55264.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote

The above link is for the 2005 WADA rules, so maybe darts will be in the 2006 or 2007 pamphlet.

Mat, I thought there was only us and the dutch that played darts - seriously anyway.

MatC
55266.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote

No, it's played very widely these days. I imagine the spread of satellite TV and the internet has done a lot to internationalise it, plus it has the enormous advantage of cheapness, and economy of space. That latter reason is undoubtedly why the Chinese now take it so seriously. Britain is the only country that considers it a bit of a joke - presumably on the old British principle that we're good at it, so it must be rubbish!

DELETED
55284.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote

DELETED

eggshaped
55307.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote

OK, drinking and smoking during the match has been banned in darts, but downing 10 pints before the match starts is not currently illegal, Andy Fordham is said to drink up to 12 bottles of beer before a match. So that's why the sport does not currently appear on WADA's prohibited list.

Incidentally the current list seems to have dropped skiing, and gained powerboating.

This article tells of the current stance. The Darts Regulation Authority is considering adding alcohol to the list:

Quote:
The drug testers will monitor alcohol levels and report back to the sport's governing body, the Darts Regulation Authority, which will decide whether to follow the recommendation of Phil "The Power" Taylor, the game's greatest player.

Taylor, seeking his 13th world crown, advocates zero tolerance.

Flash
55323.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote

What - he says everybody has to be plastered?

Flash
55326.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote

Actually that's very helpful. One reason suggested for staying sober is that they have to drive home afterwards, and this was interesting too:

Quote:
To join the Olympic movement sports must adopt the Wada code and demonstrate that the game is played widely by men in at least 75 countries and on four continents and by women in 40 countries and on three continents.

However, decisions have to be made seven years before the Games (baseball and softball were voted off the 2012 schedule earlier this year) and, considering the failure of well-established sports like squash to break into the Olympic ring, the chances of darts getting on to the podium are virtually non-existent.

MatC
55329.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote

It's complicated by the fact the the DRA is only recognised by one of the governing bodies (not the main one.) But both bodies enforce the not-on-the-oche rule. The problems of pre-match performance enhancement are discussed over on the Doping thread.

Flash
55332.  Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote

What's emerging from this is that the darts authorities are interested only in how it looks, and not at all in whether you're actually stoned.

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next