View previous topic | View next topic

Kronos vs Chronus

Page 1 of 1

paulwinner
1031164.  Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote

A question on Pointless earlier this week gave Cronos as the answer to a question about Greek Gods. My son and I thought that he was a Titan and not a god. Some research on the internet taught us about Kronos and Chronus, apparently oft confused. It's too late for the filming of the K series, but it would have been a great question. Kronos at his fathers genitals and all of his own children. Chronus was the king (another k word obviously, but the K link between the two) of the Titans.

Zebra57
1031263.  Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Paulwinner - Pointless is a programme under scrutiny in this forum, it's definition of a country causing much comment from certain people.

Jenny
1031267.  Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Welcome paulwinner :-)

Marsupial Bob
1031477.  Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote

paulwinner wrote:
My son and I thought that he was a Titan and not a god.

The Olympian gods are (mostly) the children of the Titans, and of Kronos in particular. The Titans are themselves gods, the first generation of 'ruling gods' over earth. They are the elder gods of Greece, more brutal, less civilised and less human than the younger Olympians.

If you go up one more generation it gets a bit more iffy. You start going beyond things which are undeniably 'beings', and you start moving into personified natural forces and features. Kronos is the son of The Sky and The Earth personified. Whether you treat Gaia and Ouronos as beings - deities - or as parts of the natural world is sort of up to interpretation.

But the Titans are pretty definitely a race of gods.

On the Kronos/Chronos front, that's one of the few conflations which doesn't really bother me. The Greeks have been mixing up which one is which pretty much from the start, so I'm not going to complain about anyone doing it now. Even if they should technically be different beings.

I do want to punch whoever started spelling 'Kronos' as 'Cronus' straight in the throat though. That's just made everybody's lives more difficult.

djgordy
1031560.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:40 am Reply with quote

I think you'll find that the official spelling is Qo'noS.

AlmondFacialBar
1031563.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:52 am Reply with quote

So Earth and Sky begat Time... Gosh... I'd never thought of Greek mythology that way.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

crissdee
1031886.  Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
I think you'll find that the official spelling is Qo'noS.

You sir are trekkie AICMFP.

Page 1 of 1