View previous topic | View next topic

Drips and Drops

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

54110.  Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote

If I went into the pub and asked them to sell me the contents of their drip tray, would they be allowed to? James, you're in the business, what do you reckon?

54240.  Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote

Err, I'll look into it but my initial thought would be no.

Certainly we wouldn't allow our landlords to do it, there's a health and safety issue, as well as the fact that pubs get ullage allowances for any beer lost. But as for a legal standpoint - I'll see what I can find.

54249.  Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:13 am Reply with quote

Don't take any time on this, it was an idle thought. But I like the sound of the ullage allowance. Is that a credit that the publican is allowed by the brewery for beer spilled or wasted? If so I think that's all I need in this context.

54254.  Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote

Researches indicate that the word is applied to all kinds of waste beer - beer left in the barrel, beer drawn off when you're switching barrels, beer in the drip tray, etc. It used to mean 'the amount by which a cask or bottle falls short of being full' (1481).

54265.  Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:58 am Reply with quote

Ullage is an all-encompassing word for beer which is wasted rather than sold. In real-life, despite the fact that you should get 88 pints in an 11Gallon barrell, you will always lose a few pints for the reasons you mentioned above. Incidentally, the drip trays which you see in pubs are always (in my experience) exactly 1/2 or 1 pint in volume, for obvious counting reasons.

In stocktaking, when comparing the amount of beer sold with the amount of stock used, it is important to take into account this "lost" beer, and so an allowance is given to the licencee.

In practice though, the licencee will attempt to minimalise his wastage, in order that the ullage allowance might cover any other slight anomolies - an unscrupulous barman mightn't clean his lines as often as he should, knowing that he will get the allowance whether it is done or not.

54358.  Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote

Drip-tray update:

I’ve just found a trading-standards leaflet, which says that beer or lager must be served in a stamped glass - or at least measured in an officially stamped receptacle. That means that it would be illegal for the barman to sell you the drip-tray contents unless he has first measured the amount in a normal glass. Still nothing around the office which answers your specific question though.

Also did you know that you are only allowed to sell beer in multiples of ˝ pint? Well there is an exception; it is legal to sell 1/3 of a pint of beer, though I wouldn’t have thought that would be enough to even wet your whistle.

54381.  Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote

So would it be actually illegal to sell beer in a metric measure? That's rather fun, if so. Obviously, this is not the case with bottled beers, though - the bottles are sized in ml, aren't they?

54384.  Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:26 am Reply with quote

Ye, of course this would apply to draught products only. I shall try to find the appropriate leaflet online, it'll be on there somewhere.

Here's something with almost identical wording:

54389.  Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote

From that site, beer must be sold in Imperial measures (as you said earlier) whereas wine and spirits must be sold in Metric measures. I'll post this to the drinking thread - I should think there's a question there.

63445.  Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote

For the notes on drops:

The custom of parachutists yelling "Geronimo!" is attributed to Aubrey Eberhardt, a member of the U.S. Army's parachute test platoon in 1940. A group of soldiers from this unit went to see the film Geronimo (1939) with Andy Devine and Gene Lockhart the night before a drop exercise; Eberhardt accepted a dare from the others to yell "Geronimo" as he jumped the next day, and the idea caught on. It is not the case that the word is a way of timing when to pull the ripcord on your reserve 'chute. Official US Army practice is to count out loud "one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, four thousand" and then deploy the reserve if the main 'chute hasn't opened.

63513.  Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:35 am Reply with quote

That links to Nellie the Elephant.

766881.  Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote

Flashy, if you read this:

Any thoughts to the following:

"Such a tower or something like it may be used for making steel balls but NO ONE would use such a device for making ball bearings."

From a correspondent.

766882.  Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Well there is an exception; it is legal to sell 1/3 of a pint of beer, though I wouldn’t have thought that would be enough to even wet your whistle.

1/3 pint measures are common at beer festivals where people want to try a small amount of lots of different beers.

Spud McLaren
766981.  Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote

Didn't barley wine (when it was barley wine and not "strong ale") used to be sold in measures/glasses of 1/3 pint?

Edit: just looked it up - it did, and the measure is called a nip.

766984.  Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote

How ball bearings are made:


Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group