View previous topic | View next topic

London Underground

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

germananglophile
1053881.  Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote

more fun tube sign pranks:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/in-pictures-the-best-tube-sign-pranks-9077572.html

AprilFool91
1065780.  Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote

Hi Jenny, sorry I haven't posted in ages. There is a Haunted London Underground documentary available on you tube in which a university professor explains this particular theory of why some stations appear haunted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXY4PGafn4A

This particular section of the video introduces this idea but as far as I remember there are a few references to it throughout the program.

Hope this is of help

ConorOberstIsGo
1065800.  Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote

Prof Richard Wiseman has also done work - and documentaries - on infrasound-haunting.

AprilFool91
1066566.  Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote

One of the hidden rivers of London, the River Westbourne runs through Slone Square tube station. It runs above the platforms on a bridge.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1092205.  Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote

Hampstead station was called Heath Street before, Arsenal station used to be called Gillespie Road. There are a few disused stations on the network like the one on the post above this. Recent closures include Aldwych and Charing Cross (Jubilee Line platforms).

nitwit02
1092331.  Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote

Did Tower Hill Station at one time, be known as Mark Lane?

suze
1092397.  Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote

Nearly.

The current Tower Hill station is relatively new; it opened to passengers on 5 Feb 1967. A previous Tower Hill station, 100 yards away from the current one, closed at end of service on 4 Feb 1967.

That station was originally called Mark Lane - even though the entrance was on Byward Street, not Mark Lane - but changed its name to Tower Hill in 1946. One platform and one staircase from the old station are still in existence, and can be seen from trains approaching the new station.

nitwit02
1092511.  Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote

Thanks suze. I left the UK in 1967, so that is why I was not aware of a new Tower Hill station.

Michael Young
1092766.  Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:30 am Reply with quote

Baker Street was the first station to be opened.
"What was the point of that then?" - Paul Merton

Chancery Lane has the shortest escalator - 50 steps.

Travel on the tube for 40 minutes and you've inhaled as many toxins as you would get from 2 cigarettes.

The Central Line is the longest end-to-end - 34 miles.

Bank Station has the most escalators - 15 step-based and 2 travelators for the Drain.

The first escalators were installed at Earls Court

Public anno quotes:

"..we all tried to get on, and there was lots of "Please stand clear of the DOORS" before we could get going. When we finally started moving again, the driver says over the tannoy, "This is a customer announcement, please note that the big slidy things are the doors, the big slidy things are the doors".

"Hello this is xxx speaking, I am the captain of your train, and we will be departing shortly, we will be cruising at an altitude of approximately zero feet, and our scheduled arrival time in Morden is 3:15pm. The temperature in Morden is approximately 15 degrees Celsius, and Morden is in the same time zone as Mill Hill east, so there's no need to adjust your watches."

"This is the Line Control Room at Baker Street. The Bakerloo Line is running normally today, so you may expect delays to all destinations."

plinkplonk
1098767.  Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:06 am Reply with quote

Michael Young wrote:

Chancery Lane has the shortest escalator - 50 steps.

Tens of stations have escalators of no steps-including Covent Garden.

suze
1098790.  Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote

While reading these facts about escalators, husband chimed in with a fascinating fact about Greenford station on the Central Line: it is the only station on the London Underground where one goes up an escalator to get from street level to the platforms.

That escalator turns out also to be the last wooden escalator still in use on the London Underground. It is considered life expired though, and is due to be replaced next year by the Underground's first inclined lift.

ConorOberstIsGo
1098795.  Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote

Before the invention of the escalator, there was no verb 'to escalate'.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1103829.  Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote

The tunnelled section of the Central Line between Leytonstone and Newbury Park were used as war time shelters in WW2. Gants Hill platform level concourse was modelled on Russian type Moscow metro stations.

crissdee
1118615.  Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote

Just reading this in a quiet moment and remembered something. My late aunt actually worked in the tube tunnels during the war for a company called Plessey. She was making something electrical for aircraft which required lacquering for insulation. My dad told me that she would take off her overalls at night, and the splashed lacquer would have made them so stiff they would stand up on their own!

Poverty
1200340.  Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote

What a fantastic thread, Well done to everyone for such an interesting and enjoyable read.
To think the the man power given to creating them tunnels (alot by hand in the early creation). Its no wonder that modern day building or changing of the tunnels today create trouble and unsafe areas, such as holes appearing or tunnels collapsing.
,,,Poverty London uk

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next