View previous topic | View next topic

series k knits and knots

Page 1 of 1

pinknosedcat
1026356.  Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me why the background images in this episode were of crochet being undone and not knitting? Ttfn...

CharliesDragon
1026361.  Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote

Crotcheting is made up of a sort of knot. Or at least what I would in everyday speech define as a sort of knot; it's a looped thread with a knot holding it in place, not dissimilar to the highwayman's knot Stephen demonstrated, if I remember correctly. It's also the same knot used for simple tricks like making the "knot" disappear from a thread or rope by pulling it tight. It was a very impressive trick to know around third grade... And it's ultimately the same knot/looped thread used for knitting.

Or the elves could only get hold of aestetically pleasing photage of crotcheting, not knitting, being unraveled.

pinknosedcat
1026537.  Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote

Thank you,i may have to test the theory though. I am a crocheter and knitter so I will get back to you once I've worked out the knots (I lead a simple life!) if you like. I completely misunderstood the reference...i thought it was purely linguistic because of the K's but am happy to try it out the knots and see.

CharliesDragon
1026700.  Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote

I'm positive the crotchet knot is the same as the "fake" knot, and it should also be the same as the knitting loops, but I've completely forgot how to lay them up... As for the highwayman's knot, it's either a variation or I just misunderstood how it was made. I know you can use a crotchet/"fake" knot in the same way.

Sorry, that was just me thinking out loud. Please do get back to me if you figure it out! :)

Page 1 of 1