View previous topic | View next topic

Reverse quiz

Page 5 of 34
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Olinguito
1273107.  Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote

A. Which Italian composer wrote the opera Les deux journées, ou Le porteur d’eau, whose title translated into English is “The Two Days, or The Water Carrier”?

J. Which market town in Lincolnshire is home to the county’s last remaining bull market?

GuyBarry
1273108.  Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote

A - correct.

J - not the question I had in mind! You actually had the right keyword last time.

GuyBarry
1273109.  Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Probably a good idea if I repeat the answers and the correctly guessed questions at this point:

A. Cherubini - Who wrote the opera "Les deux journées", also known in English as "The Water-carrier"?
B. Eagle
C. Eggs
D. Five thousand - How many people is Jesus supposed to have fed with five loaves and two small fish?
E. George Bernard Shaw
F. Happy
G. To irritate
H. Irma
I. It Ain't Half Hot Mum - In what TV programme did Michael Bates play the bearer Rangi Ram?
J. Louth
K. The Musical Offering - Which work by J.S. Bach contains a notable example of a so-called crab canon?
L. To reduce friction

Olinguito
1273128.  Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote

C. What are not fertilized when invertebrate animals are produced from parthenogenesis, or virgin birth?

E. Who wrote the play Androcles and the Lion?

G. What are you doing to a person if you are “getting their goat”?

H. What is the first name of the title character played by Shirley MacLaine in the 1963 romantic comedy in which Ruth and Jane Earl played the Zebra twins?

J. In which Lincolnshire town does blind archer Stuart Rodgers, who was recently crowned British champion, live?

GuyBarry
1273134.  Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote

G is correct.

I'm going to give you J. I didn't know about Stuart Rodgers but it's got the right keyword, and it's at least as good as the question I had in mind ("Which seat did Jeffrey Archer represent when he was first elected as an MP in 1969?")

E fits perfectly, but I was thinking of.an earlier play.

H fits as well (Irma La Douce), but I was thinking of a rather more recent "Irma".

C also fits pretty well, but I was thinking of eggs as a foodstuff.

It's probably possible to come up with all sorts of combinations! I'm wondering if some of my answers were a bit too terse.

Olinguito
1273204.  Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote

B. In ancient mythology, a griffin has the body and tail of a lion and the head and wings of which bird?

C. What foods taste delicious when fried or scrambled in extra virgin olive oil?

E. Who wrote the play John Bull’s Other Island?

F. In the US TV series Scorpion, what is the first name of the character played by Jadyn Wong?

H. What was the name of the hurricane which hit the Caribbean and Florida in September 2017 causing widespread destruction and damage on unprecedented scales?

L. Why should a nanny intervene when two spoilt siblings, especially twins, start squabbling and fighting with each other?

GuyBarry
1273220.  Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote

E and F - correct.

H - yes, I was thinking of Hurricane Irma, but a different keyword.

B - plausible, but note that the answer is "Eagle" rather than "An eagle".

C and L - too far-fetched!

You're getting there though...

Olinguito
1273223.  Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote

Okay, I think I’ve finally got this one:

H. Which hurricane devastated the British Virgin Islands, along with Florida and other places in the Caribbean, in September 2017?

PS: And this one:

C: Which food items in Britain bear the Lion Quality Mark to indicate that they have been produced to the highest standards of food safety?

Last edited by Olinguito on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

GuyBarry
1273225.  Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote

Both correct.

Only B and L to go now...

Olinguito
1273226.  Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote

B: What is the surname of the twin sisters Angela and Maria, Labour MPs for Wallasey and Garston & Halewood respectively?

L: Why would a snake align all its scales in the same direction when sliding along a rough surface?

GuyBarry
1273228.  Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Perfect! Well deduced.

Here's the list of questions and answers as I originally had it. The order is IEBKCHLFJAD. If you want to get your revenge by setting another one, please go ahead!

----------

A. Who wrote the opera "Les deux journées", also known in English as "The Water-carrier"?
Cherubini

B. What is the surname of the only serving MPs who are twins?
Eagle

C. On what foodstuff is a lion mark used as an indication of quality?
Eggs

D. How many people is Jesus supposed to have fed with five loaves and two small fish?
Five thousand

E. Who wrote the play John Bull's Other Island?
George Bernard Shaw

F. What is the first name of the character played by Jadyn Wong in the US TV series Scorpion?
Happy

G. What is the meaning of the idiom "to get someone's goat"?
To irritate

H. What was the name of the hurricane that devastated the U.S. and British Virgin islands in 2017?
Irma

I. In what TV programme did Michael Bates play Rangi Ram?
It Ain't Half Hot Mum

J. Which seat did Jeffrey Archer represent when he was first elected as an MP in 1969?
Louth

K. Which work by J.S. Bach contains a notable example of a so-called crab canon?
The Musical Offering

L. What is the primary purpose of the scales on a snake?
To reduce friction

Olinguito
1273229.  Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote

Okay, here’s a quick (and possibly easy) one I’ve just come up with. In alphabetical order of the answers:

A. Barbara Bach

B. Beatrix Potter

C. Chicago

D. Julia Roberts

GuyBarry
1273277.  Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:34 am Reply with quote

Here's my guess:

A. Who played Anya Amasova in The Spy Who Loved Me?
B. Who wrote The Tailor of Gloucester?
C. In which American city would you find Soldier Field?
D. Who played Tinkerbell in Steven Spielberg's Hook?

So the order is DBCA - Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (title of John le Carré novel). No "sailor" in there, which confused me at first :-)

Olinguito
1273287.  Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:16 am Reply with quote

Yes, very good!

GuyBarry
1273290.  Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote

It was actually quite hard at first because there wasn't really a clue from the number of answers - there are lots of groups of four that you could consider. At first I thought it might be the Beatles because Barbara Bach is married to Ringo Starr!

I'll try to think of another one soon, unless anyone else wants to have a go.

Page 5 of 34
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32, 33, 34  Next