View previous topic | View next topic

Reverse quiz

Page 2 of 34
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next

GuyBarry
1026265.  Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:07 am Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:

I guess once again you are technically correct, although I was thinking of "What creature does LOTR and The Chronicles of Narnia have in common?"

I think you might have missed the point of the game - the idea is to have a keyword in each question providing a cryptic link between them, as with the initial quiz (the theme was the London Underground, but the questions weren't about the London Underground). If you just have a series of random questions on a particular topic then there's no reason why anyone should choose one question over another (unless the answer is so tightly worded that only one question is possible).

CharliesDragon
1026270.  Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote

I know I did, in a way, I was just so desperate to play and show that I know something that I plopped down some questions way too fast.

I'll just go back to the back row until someone needs some lame jokes...

GuyBarry
1026273.  Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote

That's OK - you've got plenty of opportunity to think up a new one (or try and guess the current ones).

Regarding Krollo's number (2), it seems that "Dutch Masters" is an American brand of cigar, so the question could be "In painting, who are two of the most famous Dutch masters?" There appears to be a brand of cigar called "Brazil" as well for (3).

GuyBarry
1026276.  Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote

Returning to chrisboote's quiz:

(3) From the board of which newspaper empire was Conrad Black forced to resign in 2004?

(5) What annual event is held in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada?

That suggests a "black" connection...

(2) The battle of Black Hawk Down was fought in which city?

(6) Black Isle Studios in California are famous for developing which video games?

chrisboote
1026295.  Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Returning to chrisboote's quiz:

(3) From the board of which newspaper empire was Conrad Black forced to resign in 2004?

(5) What annual event is held in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada?

That suggests a "black" connection...

(2) The battle of Black Hawk Down was fought in which city?

(6) Black Isle Studios in California are famous for developing which video games?

All correct so far 8-)

(well technically, "(6) What were the first two games produced by Black Isle Studios" but good enough for me)

chrisboote
1026296.  Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
That's OK - you've got plenty of opportunity to think up a new one (or try and guess the current ones).

Regarding Krollo's number (2), it seems that "Dutch Masters" is an American brand of cigar, so the question could be "In painting, who are two of the most famous Dutch masters?" There appears to be a brand of cigar called "Brazil" as well for (3).

Aha, so I was doing better than I thought
I didn't think of googling for cigar brands, durrrr

krollo
1026363.  Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote

The theme for mine is indeed tobacco brands. The only one you haven't got is the Brasilia one - some googling may be needed here, as Brazil wasn't the intended answer, I wouldn't make it that easy!

GuyBarry
1026392.  Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote

(3) Oscar Niemeyer is best known for his design of the civic buildings in which city?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niemeyer_%28tobacco%29

GuyBarry
1026460.  Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote

Totally stumped by the other three of chrisboote's questions, I'm afraid. Roger Black and Matthew Pinsent won 125,000 on a celebrity edition of Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, but that was in May 2004, not October 2001.

As to why there are seven questions: is it because there are seven points for potting the black in snooker?

(I note that the three questions I can't get are 1, 4 and 7, and the maximum break in snooker is 147... but I assume that's pure coincidence!)

chrisboote
1026464.  Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:05 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Totally stumped by the other three of chrisboote's questions, I'm afraid. Roger Black and Matthew Pinsent won 125,000 on a celebrity edition of Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, but that was in May 2004, not October 2001.

As to why there are seven questions: is it because there are seven points for potting the black in snooker?

(I note that the three questions I can't get are 1, 4 and 7, and the maximum break in snooker is 147... but I assume that's pure coincidence!)

'Twas Jack Black that won in October 2001 (I didn't say it was the UK edition, did I)
You are correct on the 7 points for a Black in Snooker

A simple Google of "Eight players banned for life for deliberately losing games" give the Black Sox Scandal as the first hit

and once you know the theme, another google of "framed for assault and robbery" black
gives you Tintin: The Black Island

So the questions were
1) What happened as a result of baseball's Black Sox Scandal?
2) Where did the 'Black Hawk Down' incident take place?
3) From the board of which company was Conrad Black forced to resign in 2004?
4) In Which TV event did Jack Black win $125,000 for charity?
5) What annual event is held in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada?
6) What were the first two games produced by Black Isle Studios?
7) Why was Tintin on the run at the start of The Black Island?
And the secret bonus question was; How many points for a Black ball in snooker?

krollo
1026466.  Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
(3) Oscar Niemeyer is best known for his design of the civic buildings in which city?

Hit the jackpot.

krollo
1026467.  Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:

Hit the jackpot.

GuyBarry
1026483.  Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote

Here's another set - and there's a secret message for whoever solves all eight. (There's a slight spelling query over one of them.)

(1) Roald Dahl
(2) The Eagles
(3) Helium
(4) Tubular Bells
(5) Haiti
(6) 15 August
(7) Sesame Street
(8) The Melbourne Cup

chrisboote
1026490.  Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote

OK folks, I'm going to start randomly throwing in words - feel free to suggest any answers
(1) Roald Dahl
Matilda, James, Peach, Valve
(2) The Eagles
Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Hotel California,
(3) Helium
He, Airship
(4) Tubular Bells
Oldfield, Virgin, Exorcist
(5) Haiti
Hispaniola, Voudun, papa doc duvalier, bebe doc, earthquake
(6) 15 August
Peruvian Earthquake, Omagh bomb, Wow signal,
(7) Sesame Street
PBS, Muppets, West Wing, Elmo
(8) The Melbourne Cup
Horseracing, thoroughbreds, 3 year olds, handicap, Flemington

Any thoughts?

GuyBarry
1026494.  Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote

You have hit the keyword on just two of those. I'm not going to tell you which :)

Page 2 of 34
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next