View previous topic | View next topic

Do vitamin supplements work?

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

suze
1025607.  Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Not quite.

I'm a Peredhel or Half-Elf. Which half has been the subject of much debate, but it means that I do play a minor role in the research for the TV show. If I think of a good subject for a question then I tell the guys about it - but I'm not under pressure to come up with material for the shows in the way that the paid Elves are.

In fact, the main part of my role is that I read most of the stuff which is put forward for use on the show, and shout if any of it seems wrong.

Quite apart from being the Queen of the Forums, Jenny has a similar role within the research team. But I'm not at liberty to say very much more or they'll cut my pointy ear off.

One thing which I am contractually obliged to say at this point though. It is not possible to apply for a role as a Peredhel. They approach you, and vacancies don't arise very often.

 
PDR
1025626.  Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote

But that means you must have chosen between a human (mortal) or elven (immortal) life - which did you choose? Why?

PDR

 
suze
1025635.  Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote

You don't choose - it chooses you.

But I'm mortal. So, actually, are the paid Elves - but they have a good PR team.

 
PDR
1025659.  Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote

Cop out. Next you'll be telling me you woke up after having a really strange dream last night...

PDR

 
djgordy
1025660.  Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
JivviWesty wrote:
David Stainer. I used to watch him and say to myself, 'he is probably a Qi Elf'


He isn't one, as it happens.

He does play in the Quiz League of London, though. That's a pub quiz league which features quite a few people you'll have seen on Only Connect, Eggheads, Mastermind, and so on. No QI Elves play in it at present, although I think one or two have done in the past.


He was one of the contestants in the "Brain of Britain" series I was on, though he wasn't on my heat. The series was won by Barry Simmons from t'Eggheads. Stainer would have won but he got a really easy (to me anyway) music question wrong, though I forget what the question was.

The mega-quiz I attended back in June was organised by the Quiz League of London and there were, indeed, a lot of the familar TV quiz show faces there.

 
tetsabb
1025787.  Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote

suze worte
Quote:
It is not possible to apply for a role as a Peredhel. They approach you, and vacancies don't arise very often.

A bit like the secret Services used to operate in times gone by. Nudge, nudge

 
chrisboote
1025801.  Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote

... with fewer sanctions for declining, one hopes
To paraphrase Pterry
"It's not COMPULSORY to join us when invited. But then it's not compulsory to keep breathing either..."

 
tetsabb
1025814.  Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote

Holey-moley, chrisboote, are you an Assassin?

 
suze
1025825.  Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
A bit like the secret Services used to operate in times gone by. Nudge, nudge


I know nothing about the secret services. And hey, I'd say that even if I did ...

But some of the people they approached in days gone by did indeed turn them down. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever turned an invitation to the Peredhel-hood. Make of this what you will ...

 
tetsabb
1025826.  Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote

Back in the 30s, 40s and 50s, successful graduates from Oxbridge would often have an approach made to them by their tutors. So we had men the calibre of Burgess, Maclean, Philpott, Blunt.
That worked well, didn't it?

 
JivviWesty
1025849.  Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Not quite.

I'm a Peredhel or Half-Elf. Which half has been the subject of much debate, but it means that I do play a minor role in the research for the TV show. If I think of a good subject for a question then I tell the guys about it - but I'm not under pressure to come up with material for the shows in the way that the paid Elves are.

In fact, the main part of my role is that I read most of the stuff which is put forward for use on the show, and shout if any of it seems wrong.

Quite apart from being the Queen of the Forums, Jenny has a similar role within the research team. But I'm not at liberty to say very much more or they'll cut my pointy ear off.

One thing which I am contractually obliged to say at this point though. It is not possible to apply for a role as a Peredhel. They approach you, and vacancies don't arise very often.


Very impressive. :)

 
JivviWesty
1025851.  Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
suze wrote:
JivviWesty wrote:
David Stainer. I used to watch him and say to myself, 'he is probably a Qi Elf'


He isn't one, as it happens.

He does play in the Quiz League of London, though. That's a pub quiz league which features quite a few people you'll have seen on Only Connect, Eggheads, Mastermind, and so on. No QI Elves play in it at present, although I think one or two have done in the past.


He was one of the contestants in the "Brain of Britain" series I was on, though he wasn't on my heat. The series was won by Barry Simmons from t'Eggheads. Stainer would have won but he got a really easy (to me anyway) music question wrong, though I forget what the question was.

The mega-quiz I attended back in June was organised by the Quiz League of London and there were, indeed, a lot of the familar TV quiz show faces there.


Wish I could remember my very brief contestant crushes name, we could laugh at me over it. All this elf secrecy! I've a lot of love for Eggheads Barry too. Was this a radio series? I did hear the final, it might have been a tv series but I wasn't looking in the direction of the TV. I'm not likely to be on any quizzes soon lets face it!

 
JivviWesty
1025853.  Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
tetsabb wrote:
A bit like the secret Services used to operate in times gone by. Nudge, nudge


I know nothing about the secret services. And hey, I'd say that even if I did ...

But some of the people they approached in days gone by did indeed turn them down. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever turned an invitation to the Peredhel-hood. Make of this what you will ...


For your eyes only and all that I'm rather good at researching things but would only be any use if for some reason everyone was wiped out in the world older than GCSE students in which case I'd be ALL THAT.. :)

 
JivviWesty
1025855.  Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote

I've re-discovered the Mastermind contestant crush. Please bare in mind (before googling him) that us young people often have silly crushes on madly older people, like the girls all mad about Cumberbatch.... although this might be worse than that.




Nick Duffy

Sooo if you are a board user, Elf, Peredhel, member of the secret service Mr. Duffy, sorry.

 
djgordy
1025872.  Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote

JivviWesty wrote:
I've a lot of love for Eggheads Barry too. Was this a radio series? I did hear the final, it might have been a tv series but I wasn't looking in the direction of the TV. I'm not likely to be on any quizzes soon lets face it!


"Brain of Britain" is on Radio 4. It is in the Monday 3pm and Saturday 11pm slot on a rota with "Counterpoint", "Quote Unquote", and "Round Britain Quiz", There may be another one in there too.

We had Barry Simmons presenting the prize at our "Brain of Derbyshire" quiz a couple of years ago. He is not, let us say, the world's most scintillating personality. After the quiz he did a small address on his adventures in quizzing. I was not the onlyone who was widhing he sould shut up so we could get to the food.

 

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group