View previous topic | View next topic

Christian pantheon

Page 1 of 1

MatC
53890.  Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:44 am Reply with quote

I posted this on an outer forum (post 44478), and thought it was worth reproducing here. Some of the ensuing posts are good.

Q: How many gods do the Christians worship?

A: It’s one these days (provided you’re charitable enough to overlook Jesus, the Holy Ghost, the BVM, and all the “small gods” like St Christopher, who Christians regularly pray to). However:

“For the first two centuries of its existence, Christianity included people who believed in one god, in two, in 12, in 30, and in 144.”

- Source: Fortean Times 206, February 2006, p.63: a review by Noel Rooney of “Lost Christianities” by Bart D Ehrman (Oxford University Press).

JumpingJack
54039.  Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote

Any further info on the 144 gods, for example, Mat?

eggshaped
54048.  Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote

A piffling point, but I imagine that catholics may take issue with the description of Saints as "small Gods". No Catholic I've ever met would describe them as such.

MatC
54267.  Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:03 am Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
Any further info on the 144 gods, for example, Mat?

No, nothing except what's there - but if the question is a goer, perhaps the Book Buyer in Chief could get hold of the above-mentioned.

MatC
54268.  Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:07 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
A piffling point, but I imagine that catholics may take issue with the description of Saints as "small Gods". No Catholic I've ever met would describe them as such.

Well yes, Egg, but they'd be wrong! That's the point - Christianity pretends to be a mono religion (and is ridiculed for doing so by some jews and muslims), but because of its history it can't be one; and I suppose arguably that's one reason for its great success.

But all that's a facetious distraction on my part, anyway - the real point is that (according to this source, anyway) Christianity didn’t start out with just the one god, either claimed or actual.

Page 1 of 1