View previous topic | View next topic

Post mortem

Page 1 of 1

Spud McLaren
1020462.  Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote

Ha!

My heart sank when I saw Jack Whitehall, but he wasn't too bad. Sarah Pascoe was quite a find.

swot
1020464.  Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote

I thought Mr Whitehall was good. I was very impressed by Ms Pascoe.

Dangermouse
1020466.  Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote

I agree. He was better than expected, she was excellent!

I do have a quibble. The illustration used for a monkey wrench was actiually a Stillson wrench. A monkey wrench has parallel jaws.

Dangermouse
1020467.  Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote

I agree. He was better than expected, she was excellent!

I do have a quibble. The illustration used for a monkey wrench was actiually a Stillson wrench. A monkey wrench has parallel jaws.

Spud McLaren
1020469.  Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote

Welcome, DM, but we heard you the first time!

:-)

Dangermouse
1020473.  Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote

Ooops! Thank you!

djgordy
1020495.  Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote

The person wriitng the subttitles had "co-evil" instead of "coeval".

Lhyzz
1020496.  Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote

What is this nonsense Fry is talking about, that in the US you simply stop driving when you hear a siren? The rule is, pull over to the right. If you must pull onto the shoulder or a parking lane to allow the emergency vehicle through, then yes you would stop. If you're on a multi-lane road, you simply get over to the right and make sure it can get through.

Ian Dunn
1020505.  Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:15 am Reply with quote

I enjoyed the correction made concerning The Unbelievable Truth and the monkey wrench, because I believe I sent the correction to the QI elves after hearing the episode and writing up the information on the British Comedy Guide. I don't know whether I'm credited with the correction or not however.

CB27
1020537.  Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote

I think there was a slight error in what Stephen said about the emergency vehicles. In the US you're required to pull to the right and stop, which people tend to do. In the UK, the difference is that when people pull to the left, they don't actually stop.

It's not simply a case of stopping where you are.

The only time I've seen people stop in traffic without pulling over is in Israel, during the two minute siren on remembrence day. You get cars stopping everyone, and people even getting out to stand, then they all get back in and drive on when the sirens stop.

Spud McLaren
1020548.  Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote

Thread now summarised on "Knees and Knockers" thread.

saeta
1020755.  Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote

When David Mitchell was going on about "pass me that red fruit" bit about oranges, I seemed to remember that some previous QI episode had enlightened viewers of the fact that oranges were originally green.
So, maybe, at the time when red-heads, and red kites, etc. (possibly even red herrings) had been so named, the colour orange was not known because the fruits that give their name to the colour were in fact green. :-)

CB27
1020775.  Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Did we not establish that the green colour of oranges is either when they're unripened or in certain climates?

Jenny
1020890.  Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote

Good point saeta - welcome to the forums :-)

germananglophile
1021447.  Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote

Lhyzz wrote:
What is this nonsense Fry is talking about, that in the US you simply stop driving when you hear a siren? The rule is, pull over to the right. If you must pull onto the shoulder or a parking lane to allow the emergency vehicle through, then yes you would stop. If you're on a multi-lane road, you simply get over to the right and make sure it can get through.

Hm. In my experience here in LA it seems common practice to yes, pull over to the right when you hear sirens approaching, but then also to stop until the ambulance or fire truck or police car has passed and to then resume driving. At least that's what everyone keeps doing. <:)

Page 1 of 1