View previous topic | View next topic

All things football.

Page 25 of 26
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next

jaygeemack
1385032.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:03 am Reply with quote

I think you are being a bit harsh, suze. I am Scottish, so had no dog in last night’s fight, but I thought Southgate and England had done well throughout the tournament. They came up against a better team in the final - and were not far away in the end.

The only blight on England’s tournament was Raheem Sterling’s repeated diving and cheating. It is an issue he and his club should address.

barbados
1385033.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:07 am Reply with quote

I think the problem with the diving goes further that Raheem Sterling.
The problem is inconsistent referees who don’t give free kicks when fouls have been committed. This leads to players “making the most” of any contact

crissdee
1385035.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:07 am Reply with quote

By chance, I happened to bear witness to the closing stages of the match, but only because my mate (who rather unpatriotically had bet against England) was subsequently interested in the result. We noticed that when the medals were being handed out, some, if not all of the England players, having put them on, were almost immediately taking them off again. Is this some "taking the knee" style protest I had not heard about?

jaygeemack
1385043.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:42 am Reply with quote

Taking their medals off immediately was very petulant and didn’t reflect well on the England players. This doesn’t happen with silver and bronze winners at the Olympics.

tetsabb
1385049.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:47 am Reply with quote

I would love it if Italian footballist Federico Chiesa married Charlotte Church.

cornixt
1385055.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:14 am Reply with quote

The reactions of some people after the game shows why they kneel.

AlmondFacialBar
1385056.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:19 am Reply with quote

cornixt wrote:
The reactions of some people after the game shows why they kneel.

Yup... As many people have already said, if you have a problem with the team taking a knee, you're probably one of the reasons for it.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
1385057.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:42 am Reply with quote

jaygeemack wrote:
I think you are being a bit harsh, suze. I am Scottish, so had no dog in last night’s fight, but I thought Southgate and England had done well throughout the tournament. They came up against a better team in the final - and were not far away in the end.

I'm not English either. For the purposes of international football I identify as Polish, so I don't get to celebrate very much more often than you Scots do!

But England are ranked #4 in the world, and at no point in the tournament did they have to play any of the three ranked higher. (Brazil which isn't in Europe, and Belgium and France who were helpfully eliminated by others.) Accordingly, failing to win the tournament should be considered a failure.

If I took a penalty against Gigio Donnarumma, well he'd probably save it. He's one of the best goalkeepers in the world, and I'm really not one of the best penalty takers. But I guarantee that I would make him save it; I wouldn't miss the target.

As for taking the silver medals off, I thought that was poor. So of course were some of the reactions posted on Twitter and such like places, but I'm afraid that dog whistle racism is by now socially acceptable once again. It ill behoves Boris Johnson to spout platitudes on this subject when it is largely his fault.

barbados
1385058.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:13 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
It ill behoves Boris Johnson to spout platitudes on this subject when it is largely his fault.

Whose fault was it when Theresa May was PM, David Cameron was PM, Gordon Brown was PM, Tony Blair was PM, John Major was PM etc etc etc.

The small proportion of bigots have always been in and around team sport - it is part of the tribal nature of supporting team sports. Personally I think that the offensive messages should remain - and let the proper fans look after it, that way you will stamp it out - because what these people want is notoriety, and to do that, they need to be part of the tribe - ban them from the grounds - and get clubs to respond to the post with the banning notification. Then the 32 million football fans will not be associated with the 1000 idiots.

tetsabb
1385063.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:33 pm Reply with quote

I am not an expert on footie, but I did think that, when Chiesa went off, Southgate should have brought on Grealish straight away, as he seems to have a similar effect on the opponents' defence as Signore Chiesa does, namely, near panic.

And when the Italian defender grabbed Saka by the neck of his shirt, I felt that deserved a red card. I bet Nigel Owens would not have allowed a player doing that to stay on a rugby pitch.

AlmondFacialBar
1385064.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:57 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
I am not an expert on footie, but I did think that, when Chiesa went off, Southgate should have brought on Grealish straight away, as he seems to have a similar effect on the opponents' defence as Signore Chiesa does, namely, near panic.

And when the Italian defender grabbed Saka by the neck of his shirt, I felt that deserved a red card. I bet Nigel Owens would not have allowed a player doing that to stay on a rugby pitch.

I'd have liked to see red for that one, too, but realistically that would have been overdoing it. Red is reserved for a violent conduct and illegal and purposeful obstruction of a goal scoring opportunity, and this was neither. It was just a seriously fucked up foul that makes one wish he'll never sleep again.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

barbados
1385065.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote

I would have given him that one - he knew what he was doing, and did just enough - another 5 yards and it would have been a red straight away.
The one I am really disappointed with is when Jorghino went in on Grealish studs showing.
That said, the referee had a very good game (as most did through the tournament)

barbados
1385066.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote

ON the taking the medals off - I think you might be looking for something that isn't really there. The players were disappointed, and medals are really for winners so I can get why they took them off and carried them rather than wore them

PDR
1385067.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:34 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
That said, the referee had a very good game

That's hardly surprising - he seemed to be laying for the winning team...

PDR

barbados
1385068.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote

Pretty sure if you watched the game you'd realise how ridiculous that comment is

Page 25 of 26
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next