View previous topic | View next topic

All things football.

Page 24 of 26
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

barbados
1384956.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:49 am Reply with quote

Are you working today and tomorrow tets?
I have a feeling if you are it will be a quiet one today, and depending upon the result, an extreme one tomorrow.

tetsabb
1384983.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:56 am Reply with quote

I finished a run of nights this morning.
I did ask a colleague who was working Wednesday evening if the roads were less busy, and she remarked 'not as you would notice'

barbados
1384991.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote

It appeared clearer Thursday - definitely in the afternoon. I was home from Selsdon in 25 minutes which is a struggle even in school holidays

Celebaelin
1385000.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote

So... pub.

I have a small table booked but with the arrangement that if I'm not there by about 7:30 to let someone else have it but on balance I feel I have to be there. The next personal hurdle is to try not to drink too much.

tetsabb
1385003.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:38 pm Reply with quote

Italian football had a reputation at one time for being over-defensive. I thought an early England goal would make it interesting. But bloody hell!

Good to see the Italian players join in the 'English Haka'

Efros
1385009.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Right so no Southgate knighthood, well at least that was settled.

tetsabb
1385010.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote

Close, but no cigar.
Penalties are an awful way for any team to lose.

Efros
1385011.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote

Agreed, and certainly not good for the mental health if you miss one.

suze
1385012.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Right so no Southgate knighthood.

Should be a P45 instead.

Absolute garbage.

barbados
1385013.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Close, but no cigar.
Penalties are an awful way for any team to lose.

It’s not even a very nice way to win

Celebaelin
1385016.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Blast.

A game of unexploited opportunities for England? Perhaps.

suze
1385017.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:23 pm Reply with quote

Tactical ineptitude, more like.

You can't score early and then attempt to park the bus for the rest of the game. Yes, Italy used to do it - but even they don't play like that any more, because it doesn't often work.

I assume Harry Kane was on the field throughout, because he was there at the kick off and he was there at the penalties. But for the intervening two hours they might as well have given him a rest and put me on, for all the impact he had on the game.

As for the Rashford penalty ...

barbados
1385018.  Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote

The bus parking didn’t occur until after half time.
Harry Kane was easily identifiable- he was the tall chap who, when in advanced positions, had three friends wearing blue trying to change into the same white shirt Mr Kane was wearing.
As for Italy no longer parking the bus, one stat of note from the tournament- the two goalkeepers out there last night had faced the fewest of the tournament before kick off. Italy have also only concede 9 goals while leading in the 38 games Mancini has been in charge, one of those in the 6-1 defeat of Armenia, and 2 were in extra time in the current tournament. One thing they do very very well indeed in park the bus. Was it the correct decision for England to do that? It would seem not, but in a tournament where you have played Germany, who are the ultimate when it comes to tournament play, And Denmark- who are very good at coming from behind, to not concede in open play until 67 minutes into the 7th game - parking the bus is a pretty good tactic to use. It isn’t pretty to watch, but Southgate’s job is not to get his team to play “pretty” football.

AlmondFacialBar
1385028.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:26 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Tactical ineptitude, more like.

You can't score early and then attempt to park the bus for the rest of the game. Yes, Italy used to do it - but even they don't play like that any more, because it doesn't often work.

I assume Harry Kane was on the field throughout, because he was there at the kick off and he was there at the penalties. But for the intervening two hours they might as well have given him a rest and put me on, for all the impact he had on the game.

As for the Rashford penalty ...

It generally wasn't really a fireworks of a game, was it? As for that penalty, as many world class players will attest (though in this case not Mr Rashford's manager, because that one was saved fair and square, what with Andy Köpke being a fucking genius and shtuffs), sometimes the pressure does get too much. I was fucking heartbroken for him.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

barbados
1385031.  Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:48 am Reply with quote

The two I feel sorry for are Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka.
Rashford’s silly buggers of a penalty put two very young and very inexperienced players under so much pressure.
As Southgate was told at the time of his “miss” why didn’t he just hit it?
The two others were saved by a giant of a man and were perfectly good attempts (in that the goalie had to work) but you need to get the ball on target.

Page 24 of 26
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next