View previous topic | View next topic

All things football.

Page 1 of 26
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

sally carr
1018820.  Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote

I know that football isn't appreciated by several people on these forums but there are a few of us who do like it. This can be the place to rant and rave, to celebrate or despair about our teams. NO VIOLENCE ON THE TERRACES PLEASE!

djgordy
1018822.  Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote

I find that the violence on the terraces is a welome distraction from the violence on the pitch.

sally carr
1018844.  Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote

I hate penalty shoot outs.

Jenny
1018869.  Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote

When I was teaching in secondary schools in the 70s/80s, I was regularly asked what team I supported, and I always said Hull City, because it earned me pitying glances. However, they've done better since then so my (largely unspoken) support was obviously useful.

tetsabb
1018870.  Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote

I think it is interesting that when Melvyn Bragg published his book about the 12 most influential books in the English language, http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/350320.12_Books_That_Changed_the_World he included the FA rules of football.
If you look at the amounts of money spent on it (I'm looking at you Mr Murdoch), the fact that El Salvador and Honduras went to war about it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_War (and a few other issues), and other impacts it has had, I think Baron Bragg may have had a point.

djgordy
1018879.  Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote

sally carr wrote:
I hate penalty shoot outs.

Nah, penalty shoot outs are the best bit.

suze
1018882.  Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
I think Baron Bragg may have had a point.

And then he went and spoiled it all by doing something stupid like ... being an Arsenal supporter.

Not that there's anything stupid about that per se, but Lord Bragg of Wigton is from Cumbria. To be sure, he is or has also been President of the London branch of the Carlisle United supporters, but most English people are very sure that one cannot support two professional teams.

Mind you, just maybe most English people are wrong. I support six or seven football teams - but then I'm not English.

djgordy
1018920.  Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote

How exactly does this "support" manifest itself? Do you go the matches or buy the merchandise? If not, I don't see how you can say that you "support" the team.

Jenny
1018947.  Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote

In my case it only involves thinking vaguely warm and friendly thoughts about them.

sally carr
1018952.  Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote

I support Chelsea but there are a few other teams that I follow, as in 'keep an eye on'.

tetsabb
1018966.  Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote

sally carr wrote:
I support Chelsea

Yes, you have a Samsung laptop!

sally carr
1018972.  Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote

and it's called Chelsea!

suze
1019032.  Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:08 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
How exactly does this "support" manifest itself? Do you go the matches or buy the merchandise?

I have been to games featuring all of my teams at one time or another. Which immediately puts me ahead of at least half of the self-proclaimed Manchester United supporters that I know!

I don't believe that Nithsdale Wanderers FC has any merchandise available, but I do have something from all of the others. (Even if in one case it's only a keyring.)

swot
1019100.  Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
When I was teaching in secondary schools in the 70s/80s, I was regularly asked what team I supported, and I always said Hull City, because it earned me pitying glances. However, they've done better since then so my (largely unspoken) support was obviously useful.

When I was conducting the youth band, the same girl must have asked me about 10 times (in the four or so years that I was conducting) what team I supported. My response was always "No-one, I'm not interested in football," but this never deterred her. When I remembered that I'm crap at conversation and ought to make more of an effort, I added, "And who do you support?", knowing full well that I was about to be told about Manchester United for five minutes.

swot
1019101.  Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
How exactly does this "support" manifest itself? Do you go the matches or buy the merchandise? If not, I don't see how you can say that you "support" the team.

In my experience (witnessing the boys I lived with or near), you yell at a tv screen, bore people half to death talking about said team, whine at your parents until they buy you a replica shirt (which almost never happens because they're so damned expensive), and occasionally have fistfights with boys who like a different team.

Page 1 of 26
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next