View previous topic | View next topic

Stinging Nettles & Dock Leaves

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Laughing Feet
222410.  Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
For all you know, any leaf or any rubbing action might work. Or, any leaf that you had been told worked, might work.

Oh, crap! That's the placebo effect shot to ribbons, then. Now when I rub dock leaves on my nettle stings I won't expect them to work - so they won't. Shazbat!
Mind you, I can't remember the last time I actually suffered a nettle sting - so the NEXT time I get stung I'll probably have forgotten this post, so they probably will work after all... mmm?

Sheogorath
1136315.  Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote

@ Jim Phelps: I'm not a Wiccan or a Pict, but after realising that dock leaves just don't work, I decided to try a dandelion leaf because they also grow near nettles and 'dandelion and burdock'. I discovered that spreading the sap of the plant over the sting initially intensifies the sensation, which is then gone after just a few hours. Prior to my discovering this, my nettle stings wouldn't go until the day after I received them at the soonest.

Sheogorath
1136366.  Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote

I believe that my previous comment should have been directed to Laughing Feet rather than Jim Phelps, but the confusing way that comments are linked to their authors here prevents me from knowing for sure.

Alfred E Neuman
1136442.  Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote

Sheogorath wrote:
I believe that my previous comment should have been directed to Laughing Feet rather than Jim Phelps, but the confusing way that comments are linked to their authors here prevents me from knowing for sure.

Given that eight years have passed by since they posted, I'd not worry too much about it.

Posital
1136458.  Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote

(since this thread is revived)

I've just imparted the sage knowledge to Pos Jr that:

Stinging nettles were introduced by the romans. They thought it was so cold up here, that they used sandals made of the nettle to stimulate the circulation - and nettles grew wherever they marched because some had seeds which grew.

I suspect it's little more of a just-so story, but it's a great one for connecting us with our past.

Having said that - the interwebs suggest that nettle seeds were deliberately scattered to help defend their roads.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2