View previous topic | View next topic

DISH (place in Texas)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

suze
52967.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote

I've moved to a new thread because I don't want to hijack a serious discussion about what sounds like a serious medical conversation any further.

I said:

"Hi violetriga

Let's you and me digress onto DISH, Texas for a minute!

Lest anyone doesn't know, this is a village in Texas that changed its name in 2005. The new name is that of a TV provider, and the residents of the town all got free satellite equipment out of the deal.

Since DISH only has a population of 125, it won't have cost the company too much - I bet they were relieved, because they made the offer to the whole US of A and Clark, Texas (as it had been) were the only ones to take them up on it!

So then world, which town in the USA renamed itself after a radio game show? Kind of like "Brain of Britain, Rutland" although I may have made that one up ...
"

Twopints then said, correctly answering my question

"Truth or Consequences is a city located in Sierra County, New Mexico. As of the 2000 census, it had a total population of 7,289.

Originally called Hot Springs, it took the name of a popular radio program in 1950, when Truth or Consequences host Ralph Edwards announced that he would do the program from the first town that renamed itself after the show. Ralph Edwards came to the town during the first weekend of May for the next fifty years. This event was called the "Fiesta" and included a beauty contest, parade, and a stage show. The town was also the fictional hometown of Cactus Jack, one of the many professional wrestling personas of Mick Foley.
"

to which djgordy replied

"Doesn't George W. Bush come from I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, Texas?"

to which I say:

Sadly not. He was born in Connecticut and grew up in Houston.

I still like the idea of "Brain of Britain, Rutland" though. After Oakham, the next largest town in that county is Uppingham. And what's QI about Uppingham ...?

djgordy
52968.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote

Some Harry Potter filmage was filmed there.

suze
52969.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote

I'm sure that's right, but I'm not sure that Harry Potter is specifically QI. But if you were to think about the audio versions of the books, you would be getting closer ...

djgordy
52972.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Stephen Fry went to the moderately famous Uppingham Skool, as did Boris Karloff, Peter Powell and one of McFly. It has a Masonic Lodge for Old Uppinhamians. I wonder if Mr. Fry.........?

violetriga
52980.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote

Wikipedia: Geographical renaming

I enjoyed researching some of the unusual name changes. (btw I'm aware the article is somewhat incomplete!)

AndyE
52987.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote

Good stuff! I've never met a real live Wikipedia writer before!

Sure that list is incomplete, but a complete one would fill the whole Interweb. Suze (who is my fiancée, in case anyone still didn't know) would like Gdansk / Danzig mentioned though, since her late father's family were from there.

Her father's parents left for Canada in March 1933, and her father was born on the ship. They wouldn't have chosen to leave while the wife was heavily pregnant, but they weren't sure when the next boat out would be. As it turned out, there were elections in Danzig that May which were won by the Nazis, and there wasn't a next boat out. They were Poles, but at that time about 80% of the population was German.

Changing the subject completely:

Jonathan Agnew (cricket broadcaster) also went to Uppingham, and must be about the same age as Mr Fry. Did they know each other? Are they perhaps both ...?

violetriga
53007.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:19 am Reply with quote

The name of the Gdansk / Danzig article has been the subject of much debate, and it appears that someone removed it from the article.

Nice story - must be great to hear about an amazing past like that.

gerontius grumpus
53023.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:06 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

"Doesn't George W. Bush come from I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, Texas?"

to which I say:

Sadly not. He was born in Connecticut and grew up in Houston.

He grew up?

tetsabb
53031.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:45 am Reply with quote

PMSL

gerontius grumpus
53034.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:55 am Reply with quote

Post mesozoic salt lake?
Please mend some lights?
Poorly maintained sack lifts?
Post menopausal strong lady?
Prawn, Malacostraca, species of Leander?

tetsabb
53057.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:15 am Reply with quote

Piddle MySelf Laughing is what I believe it to stand for, a stronger version of LOL.
ROFL is Roll On Floor Laughing.

About the only bits of txt spch I know

gerontius grumpus
53059.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote

I must apologise, I'm 47 today and i know little of txt spch
I even had to ask Grumpina Minima what LOL meant.

tetsabb
53068.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote

Happy Birthday.. youngster!

gerontius grumpus
53069.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote

Thanks old timer.

djgordy
53080.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:

I even had to ask Grumpina Minima what LOL meant.

LOL.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next